Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Party Over for Additional Tier Points/Status Credits [Upgrades on BA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Party Over for Additional Tier Points/Status Credits [Upgrades on BA]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2024, 11:30 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by salut0
Screenshot suggests this is crediting BA flights to QF rather than vice-versa. Mods: can you move this to the QF forum?
I don’t think this deserved to be moved as I would not have had the responses that I have had if it was on the QF forum. It also seems like this is down to a change in BA not QF.
justin_krusty likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2024, 12:57 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
The one thing you could do, is after the upgrade is log into the finnair website and have it email you the ticket. That will clearly show the booking class. If that says /I/ or whatever then you can claim. I suspect it will say /U/. Then you are arguing the initial fare basis. And QF are not the easiest to claim. Upside is that unlike QF, BAs /I/ fares at time of ticketing are often a modest upsell from economy.

annoyingly - for us - BA and QF have invested their IT spend on fixing anomalies in upgrades and other aspect rather than actually getting the FF site to be stable, calculators to work, on business to not be offline for 6 months etc etc
Old Jul 4, 2024, 2:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You purchased an economy ticket and purchased an upgrade - perfectly correct to be credited as per economy class

If you want to be credited as business class, then just buy business class up front

At one time, mileage upgrades on Qantas often credited as business, but these errors got fixed - sounds like QF has fixed the bug

If you are receiving zero miles, then you should be able to get the economy earning for SCs and miles
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2024, 3:40 am

Programs: Qantas; Virgin Australia; Le Club Accor; Marriott
I’ve had the same issue in the past but that being said haven’t tried lately due to the higher cost of upgrading… I once had £69 LHR - WAW.

Id say 80% of the time it would credit as business but that 20% when you needed to follow up with Qantas I never got anywhere… aside from the Economy SCs.
Old Jul 4, 2024, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You purchased an economy ticket and purchased an upgrade - perfectly correct to be credited as per economy class

If you want to be credited as business class, then just buy business class up front
That’s not how it works when crediting a BA ticket with an AUP or POUG to BA’s own program, and it’s not what happens now with an AA flight that’s been upgraded with an in-app paid upgrade crediting to BA either.

So it’s not as cut and dried as you make out: it would be perfectly reasonable for someone crediting a BA flight with a paid upgrade to the QF program to think that it might work the same way as BA do for their own program.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2024, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by salut0
That’s not how it works when crediting a BA ticket with an AUP or POUG to BA’s own program, and it’s not what happens now with an AA flight that’s been upgraded with an in-app paid upgrade crediting to BA either.

So it’s not as cut and dried as you make out: it would be perfectly reasonable for someone crediting a BA flight with a paid upgrade to the QF program to think that it might work the same way as BA do for their own program.
Except that this is not the BA programme - there is no reason to assume that QF's scheme will work as BA;s
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2024, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I think we are being a little harsh. Both QF and BA used (at least 12 months ago regularly) to credit business class/club miles based on paid and/or miles on the others programmes. It was to people who are here and think too much about miles an oversight, mistake, bank error etc - but t was consistent. Yes the opportunity closed as some of us always thought it would. But we are not the average customer. We are the 0.1%

But to the average reasonable person, I booked an economy airfare, I then paid to sit cash in business class, so I should get business class miles. How is paying cash economy ticket and then paying a difference in cash to business any different from paying business upfront (or a cash fare difference) - yes I know people will say well that is an upgrade and not a fare difference, but it is not like the airline makes a distinction so why on earth should we try and understand their business! (and often on these flights the fare difference is about the same - unlike QF)

To the reasonabe person, there is no difference between a AUP at the airport paid with cash and changed to business class for GBP 65 from LHR/AMS versus calling up or even at the airport and getting a fare difference of GB 65 for the same ticket. Is it reasonable for someone to say "Ï would like an upgrade to business class, but only if it is a fare difference and needs to be rebooked in /J/ class as /P/ (or whatever) does not credit in my mileable programme from some pacific carrier". I would ask that, but I am not reasonable.

I have increasingly strong views that airlines are milking the FF programmes (see QFF annual report) for the disservice of the public, who are in an asymmetrical arms race to try and earn and spend miles. It must become more transarent. (I pay for business so I get business). This is one of many examples.

(I know my hope is a lost cause...it is all TSR whether it is QF or AA, BA etc)

KF
Old Jul 4, 2024, 9:45 pm

If someone is going to pay the fare difference to business class, then why not just book business class

These upgrades from economy behind a curtain to economy in front of a curtain at a discounted rate. are not same as paying paying the business fare
Old Jul 4, 2024, 10:10 pm

Programs: QF Platinum/LTG
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If someone is going to pay the fare difference to business class, then why not just book business class

These upgrades from economy behind a curtain to economy in front of a curtain at a discounted rate. are not same as paying paying the business fare
They used to be. But the catch was the ticket became highly restrictive once upgraded, No changes, no cancellation / no refund (even if the original whY fare was less restrictive).

These pre-purchased upgrades always use to post to QFF with J SCs and points and could be quite decent SC earners. Hence the OPs disappointment that it appears to be no more.
justin_krusty likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2024, 11:34 pm

Why not just book business class? So many reasons, employer books economy, you would like business, fares are dynamic so difference between Y and J could have been large but is now reasonable, stressful week at work and you want some time to relax, list goes on and on for why some might pay one thing and later wish to pay another. And believe they are getting a fare difference when they are being quoted an upgrade price.

I get that people here know it, and spouting the rules is not helpful. I am talking about the everyday flyer. I am buying something, but it is not made clear to me that it does not come with all of the perks of business class. If I call up I may be offered a fare difference and re ticketing or an upgrade price. One has significantly more benefits, but the airline is deliberately opaque. Or maybe just thinks people do not care.

to be fare to QF I think on the bid now upgrades, that you receive an email about it is clear on you will earn economy miles. Unfortunately, the various bank errors seem to have been fixed.

KF
Old Jul 5, 2024, 12:54 am
Ambassador: Emirates
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Intra European travel rules that allow people to book J for 1 hour flights are practically non existent and most people are routing to a hub to connect onto mid/long haul J. My local airport is Heathrow and that is certainly the case here.

I pay the promotional upgrade fares to guarantee my two carry on bags which saves a checked bag issue, as well as to have some more space to work. I think any rhetoric of 'just pay full business fares' is out of touch with what modern workplace rules are on work travel. The Bank of England has a gold standard of work expenses which form a paradigm for many like me in the financial sector. My policy is actually more generous in places. But booking a straight J fare to Zurich is simply not permissible for even the board members of multi-national banks.

This thread is about a 'go around' allowing you to earn the full J Tier points/Status credits that has worked for years which seems to have changed with no published advice to suggest it was coming.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 1:25 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by sydtogla
But booking a straight J fare to Zurich is simply not permissible for even the board members of multi-national banks.
This is not my experience. There are many companies which allow straight C booking. Resources, banks, all consultancies etc.

Originally Posted by sydtogla
This thread is about a 'go around' allowing you to earn the full J Tier points/Status credits that has worked for years which seems to have changed with no published advice to suggest it was coming.
Was this ever a published rule?
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Was this ever a published rule?
Not that I am aware of - but there are published rules regarding upgrades
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Why not just book business class? So many reasons, employer books economy, you would like business, fares are dynamic so difference between Y and J could have been large but is now reasonable, stressful week at work and you want some time to relax, list goes on and on for why some might pay one thing and later wish to pay another. And believe they are getting a fare difference when they are being quoted an upgrade price.
I really don't think a normal person would view the push by BA to sell a limited time offer to upgrade for a special price as simply a fare difference

If the employer books economy and going to pay the difference - can just contact BA and pay the fare difference - if allowed to buy a promotional upgrade, then wouldn't be any issue purchasing the real fare

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
I get that people here know it, and spouting the rules is not helpful. I am talking about the everyday flyer. I am buying something, but it is not made clear to me that it does not come with all of the perks of business class. If I call up I may be offered a fare difference and re ticketing or an upgrade price. One has significantly more benefits, but the airline is deliberately opaque. Or maybe just thinks people do not care.
KF
I don't think that the everyday flyer is trying to scam getting 4 times the SCs for a small upgrade fee
Old Jul 5, 2024, 6:28 am

I don’t think anyone is trying to scam anything.

how does the conversation go. “I would like to know the extra cost to fly in club” then a price is given, and money paid. Nowhere in this conversation do they say, well what I am selling you is not really a club ticket as you will not earn additional miles etc. I struggle to find other examples of where I pay extra for a product but do not receive that actual product in its entirety.

and then the person looks at their statement and sees it in economy, gets confused and then a claim is rejected. They feel cheated, and some of them come here and question and we use words like “fare difference”, “AUP” etc that the average person has no clue about.

I paid extra for business and it say business. We see this conversation here almost weekly.

all I am saying is airlines should make it clear.

KF
salut0, Tyrolean and SYD_cida like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.