Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

What do you get for miles/VIP upgraded AA flights in QFF?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2008, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Nah.

That is, AA domestic whY upgraded to First? I would assume the Y class would credit as it is the paid booking class, but since mileage/VIP upgrades book into A class, there could be a glitch which gives you F points/SC's? Anyone have experience here?

I'm doubtful, but hoping. FWIW, paid A class tickets (even YUP's) get F points & SC's.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
About 3 years ago there were reports that such upgraded travel would indeed earn First Class SC's and bonus with QFF.

However, in early 2006 systems were revised and now you generally get what you pay for (as far as Miles/VIP upgrades go). (e.g. Book in S class, upgrade to A class, fly and get S SC's.)
Old Jul 30, 2008, 8:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
You get only the miles/SCs you are entitled to and nothing more.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What I had expected. Oh well. Thanks for the responses!
Old Jul 31, 2008, 2:11 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
You get only the miles/SCs you are entitled to and nothing more.
As an aside, one way to sometimes get free miles and TPs in the BAEC (so may work for QF FF) is to book tight connections on OW partners on the same PNR. If you miss the connection, you will be given the next available flight, perhaps in full Y or even in Club, depending on availability, and on both occasions this has happened to me I've received the miles/TPs for the class flown, not paid. This is on a mix of BA/QF/IB.

James
Old Jul 31, 2008, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by James S
As an aside, one way to sometimes get free miles and TPs in the BAEC (so may work for QF FF) is to book tight connections on OW partners on the same PNR. If you miss the connection, you will be given the next available flight, perhaps in full Y or even in Club, depending on availability, and on both occasions this has happened to me I've received the miles/TPs for the class flown, not paid. This is on a mix of BA/QF/IB.

James
I have received full Y SC's when I misconnect on discount Y on AA. I guess AA book you into the higher fare bucket.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by James S
As an aside, one way to sometimes get free miles and TPs in the BAEC (so may work for QF FF) is to book tight connections on OW partners on the same PNR. If you miss the connection, you will be given the next available flight, perhaps in full Y or even in Club, depending on availability, and on both occasions this has happened to me I've received the miles/TPs for the class flown, not paid. This is on a mix of BA/QF/IB
Ssssh!
Old Jul 31, 2008, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Ssssh!
This happens on a lot of airlines. I'd guess that they know but the problem is small enough for them not to bother. Or they do it intentionally as a customer service gesture. HA!
Old Jul 31, 2008, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I have had the fortune to travel on quite a few EVIPs and to date not a single one has posted in a way to provide me with a more generous credit.

When you misconnect, more often than not you get involuntary rerouted and this generally means you get put into what ever fare class is available. If it happens to be full Y then yes, you will get full Y SCs etc. Take this as an added benefit for your misfortune and nothing more.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 8:16 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
In the days of the VIP2, upgrades booked into J and thus received full business SCs / miles. Alas, this is not longer the case. I am showing my age ...
Old Aug 20, 2008, 3:00 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
I've had a eVIP-upgraded post with full Business SCs, but it was a bit of an unusual situation that led to it:

Originally booked a roundtrip on Iberia.

Iberia cancels their flight that day (well in advance) and rebooks me onto an IB-codeshare on an AA flight, which I upgraded using an eVIP. It seems that AA had to reissue that sector in order to process the upgrade.

The flight posted with full business SCs under the AA flight number.

So perhaps codeshares may be the way?
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Edited for various reasons.

Last edited by simongr; Aug 26, 2008 at 6:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.