FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Ramadan Master Thread - 10 March 2024 to 9 April 2024 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1757127-ramadan-master-thread-10-march-2024-9-april-2024-a.html)

KcCowan Mar 26, 2019 6:30 pm

Atl-Doh

I’m flying from ATL-DOH during Ramadan. Will alcohol be served in economy class? I’m spending the night in Qatar. Will I be able to purchase alcohol at a 4-5 star hotel, even if it’s room service? I’m flying DOH-BLR the next day. Will alcohol be served on that flight?

KcCowan Mar 26, 2019 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha (Post 30744483)
Yep, You will have no problem being served on the plane. However, Qatar Airways can be stingy and they use the Ramadan excuse to not serve in their Doha Airport lounges during Ramadan...Even though you can buy booze for consumption in the retail restaurants in the airport. Also, they have no issue with you buying booze at their duty free on the way out of the country.

What about Atl-Doh during Ramadan? Then Doh-BLR?

SullyofDoha Mar 28, 2019 5:03 am

Originally Posted by KcCowan (Post 30933488)

What about Atl-Doh during Ramadan? Then Doh-BLR?

You are not going to have a problem getting an alcoholic beverage on most of the flights. DOH to Pakistan or Kuwait, not so sure!

remdk Mar 28, 2019 5:17 pm

KcCowan the Wiki on this thread says
" Non alcoholic drinks are always available both in the airport and on all flights.
Alcohol is NOT available at Hamad International Airport either inside or outside the airport buildings, even at the Airport hotel. Nor is it available on most flights to muslim countries (even as far as TUN and ALG). On all other flights from DOH alcohol is available after departure. The cabin crew decide when departure is. For some it is when you board the aircraft, for others closing the doors, others pushback and yet others after take-off. Where alcohol is permitted on the flight then it will be served by the glass, the bottle remaining in the galley. Pre departure alcoholic drinks will normally be served on flights to DOH where alcohol is permitted. There may be exceptions.
In every respect, other than alcohol, service is unchanged throughout QR."
There are a number of Moslem countries, such as Malaysia, which are regarded as multicultural and alcohol will be served on those flights.

tmac100 Mar 29, 2019 11:00 am

Originally Posted by sharp5flat9 (Post 26429223)
If you're visiting the region, try to visit an 'iftar' buffet dinner. This is fast-breaking meal after sunset and tends to be lavish.

When I fly into Dubai to visit my travelling companion during Ramadan, we always seek out a nice iftar. The more expensive ones are of better quality. FWIW, QR has a special "Iftar meal" on it's evening flights out of DOH. A very nicely decorated box and meal. Nice dates if memory serves me - they should be eaten first to break the fast.

MikeFly Apr 29, 2019 5:07 am

Transiting DOH May 5 -Ramadan

I understand from the Wiki that during Ramadan no alcohol is to be served at the airport.

However, when on the 5th does it happen? My guess it is at sundown on the 5th.

On a couple of non-FT sites there have been reports that in the lounges they will discreetly serve passenger drinks - is that true? I'll be in the AS lounge if it matters.
On those same sites it mentions that you can order drinks at the restaurants in the airport - this does not seem likely to me. Can anyone confirm?

clubeurope Apr 29, 2019 8:06 am

I mean from what I recall from my experience last year, I thought they served champagne at the lounge on demand, though it turned out to be the non-alcoholic sparkling wine, So Jennie.

lost_in_translation Apr 29, 2019 10:44 am

Originally Posted by MikeFly (Post 31047980)
I understand from the Wiki that during Ramadan no alcohol is to be served at the airport.

On a couple of non-FT sites there have been reports that in the lounges they will discreetly serve passenger drinks - is that true? I'll be in the AS lounge if it matters.
On those same sites it mentions that you can order drinks at the restaurants in the airport - this does not seem likely to me. Can anyone confirm?

I believe it's at sundown on the 5th, yes.

My understanding is that the public consumption of alcohol is illegal in the State of Qatar during Ramadan, so I highly doubt the airport restaurants will be serving alcohol. I'm flying on the 6th and would recommend expecting you will not be getting an alcoholic drink at DOH if you are there after sundown on the 5th. Think of it as a chance to detox before your next sector https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif.

SullyofDoha Apr 29, 2019 11:23 am

If memory serves me correctly, last year, the public restaurant bars in the airport were serving booze while the lounges went dry. This seemed more like a cost cutting measure by Qatar Airways using Ramadan as a cover for its actions.

MikeFly Apr 29, 2019 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 31049039)
believe it's at sundown on the 5th, yes.

My understanding is that the public consumption of alcohol is illegal in the State of Qatar during Ramadan, so I highly doubt the airport restaurants will be serving alcohol. I'm flying on the 6th and would recommend expecting you will not be getting an alcoholic drink at DOH if you are there after sundown on the 5th. Think of it as a chance to detox before your next sector https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif.

I arrive at 23:50 from BKK on the 5th with an 8 hour layover - look for the grumpy guy in the AS lounge!

MikeFly Apr 29, 2019 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha (Post 31049172)
If memory serves me correctly, last year, the public restaurant bars in the airport were serving booze while the lounges went dry. This seemed more like a cost cutting measure by Qatar Airways using Ramadan as a cover for its actions.

I hope you are right!

lost_in_translation Apr 29, 2019 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha (Post 31049172)

If you are right, I stand corrected! Happy to report back on 6th if no one else does.

swingaling Apr 29, 2019 2:50 pm

You could always fill a shampoo bottle with hooch and bring it with you. Probably wouldn’t be very subtle sipping from a shampoo bottle, though...

Duck1981 Apr 29, 2019 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFly (Post 31047980)

Hi, was there last year - unfortunately the airport will be dry. You'll get your drink in the airplane though :)

Btw, latest is that Ramadan will probably start on the 6th based on the UAE moonsighting committee.

TonyBurr Apr 29, 2019 5:34 pm

When does Ramadan end?