Search

ICA and SAS Amex

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2021, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Im a new user
Where I live, UPS just decides that no one was home without checking and sends the stuff to the nearest UPS-ombud.
PostNord was assuming the same too - they didn't even bother walking out of the car and knock on my door despite my car was parked at the driveway (obviously someone was home)! I went out and got my parcel (I saw the pick up note was almost ready). I wrote to PostNord and complained and of course it didn't work.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by nacho
The municipality I used to live has about 15000. It's not like HAM or even Malmo.
Well, I live in one the smallest kommunes in Sweden, way below 10.000 people. And then about 15 minutes from "downtown", somewhere between rolling hills, forrest and green pastures.... my three closest neighbors are 150m to 300m line-of-sight...

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It reminds me how much I love Japan, the evening before a delivery, I get a Line message that allows me to pick a specific delivery time in 2 to 3 hour increments. Should I have missed a delivery, there is a phone number to the driver so I can call and arrange re-delivery the same day as long as there is at least two hours until the end of the delivery day. And the Line messages can help me manage unexpected deliveries when I am travelling.
UPS, DHL, DHL Express, DPD, Schenker, Bring, Budettan etc do the same here in Sweden. You get a SMS to schedule a 3 hours window on a day you like. And then the actual current protocol is, the driver calls you about 30-20 minutes before they arrive at you house. You can then arrange with them a different time, the drop location or redirect them to a neighbor. They do not hide their cell numbers, so you can call back if needed. In the last 3 years no courier missed the agreed time. Well, ONCE. But the driver called and asked if that would be ok.

Just PostNord is stubborn and only gives you a vague window of 8am to 4pm, doesn't call and more often than not do not even deliver the package but just takle it back to the next packet shop for you to pick up. Have seen the PostNord car driving by a few times not even bothering to stop. Once I ran out and stopped him as he was passing by my drive-way... the guy gave me my package with a shrug as if nothing was wrong.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
Once I ran out and stopped him as he was passing by my drive-way... the guy gave me my package with a shrug as if nothing was wrong.
Exactly what I have experienced!

Another thing about the crappy town I used to live in: somehow PostNord, Bring, and the luggage delivery guy from CPH really hate coming here (they really showed it when they called, and it feels like they had to drive into some jungle or something to get here - our town is right by the motorway), they are extremely inflexible in delivery window - I never get anything below 5h and often they refused to call and just showed up.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It reminds me how much I love Japan, the evening before a delivery, I get a Line message that allows me to pick a specific delivery time in 2 to 3 hour increments. Should I have missed a delivery, there is a phone number to the driver so I can call and arrange re-delivery the same day as long as there is at least two hours until the end of the delivery day. And the Line messages can help me manage unexpected deliveries when I am travelling.
Japan Post is great. They send the parcel to the harbour in Kawasaki (this place) and put it on a boat to Sweden and then it shows up at a postombud some time later. This year, the delivery time has increased from 2-3 months to 3½-4½ months.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
"Home delivery" works well for me at houses and apartments in the US. Not so well at houses in Sweden, but one day in Sweden will get there and actually ring the doorbells and follow instructions rather than remind me of "home delivery" in various parts of South Asia from ages past. [Smart home garage + cameras w/two-way comm can work in Sweden. And even for unstaffed apartment buildings, there are options to limit the chances for theft of delivered goods.] But given how often the packages in Sweden get dropped off at an ICA -- convenient or not -- I guess it's an opportunity to have "home delivery" become "not-home delivery" while also doing a grocery run to run up the ICA and/or SAS points.

When airlines mishandle my bags into CPH, the baggage delivery to the doors in Sweden has been interesting. Often the persons bringing the bags to the doors were just dumping the luggage right in front of the residence doors without even so much as ringing the bell or calling. Gave new meaning to the "priority" indicators for the baggage tags. As in "not a priority" to inform.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 28, 2021 at 12:27 pm
Old Oct 28, 2021, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G, LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Japan Post is great. They send the parcel to the harbour in Kawasaki (this place) and put it on a boat to Sweden and then it shows up at a postombud some time later. This year, the delivery time has increased from 2-3 months to 3½-4½ months.
I basically only use the EMS options when I send parcels from Japan. That's typically 2 days until the hands of Post Nord, which is then always a bit iffy for the rest of the flow.

Though the pandemic has increased pricing for air mail package and slowed them down.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
"Home delivery" works well for me at houses and apartments in the US. Not so well at houses in Sweden, but one day in Sweden will get there and actually ring the doorbells and follow instructions rather than remind me of "home delivery" in various parts of South Asia from ages past. [Smart home garage + cameras w/two-way comm can work in Sweden. And even for unstaffed apartment buildings, there are options to limit the chances for theft of delivered goods.] But given how often the packages in Sweden get dropped off at an ICA -- convenient or not -- I guess it's an opportunity to have "home delivery" become "not-home delivery" while also doing a grocery run to run up the ICA and/or SAS points.

When airlines mishandle my bags into CPH, the baggage delivery to the doors in Sweden has been interesting. Often the persons bringing the bags to the doors were just dumping the luggage right in front of the residence doors without even so much as ringing the bell or calling. Gave new meaning to the "priority" indicators for the baggage tags. As in "not a priority" to inform.
In DK, you pay more if you want stuff to be delivered to your home, not sure if there is such options in Sweden. In DK the pickup point can be a fruit stand, a kiosk or a thrift shop! However, grocery delivery is always home delivery. The baggage delivery guy always ring the bell as they need my signature to prove that they have delivered the bags.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 5:50 am

Programs: AS 100K (OW), SK Silver (ST), UA (*A), UR, MR
"Home delivery" works well for me at houses and apartments in the US. Not so well at houses in Sweden, but one day in Sweden will get there and actually ring the doorbells and follow instructions rather than remind me of "home delivery" in various parts of South Asia from ages past. [Smart home garage + cameras w/two-way comm can work in Sweden. And even for unstaffed apartment buildings, there are options to limit the chances for theft of delivered goods.
You probably don’t have the Arconia in mind?

It’s not often I order online for home delivery, but yesterday I was at a Costco in north suburban Chicago, and the pajama shirt wasn’t available in my size; only >=XL in the aisle there and plenty of them. So I ordered the item online in the app right then and got one day delivery for free, and now I’m tracking the package in the UPS app like I’m the main character in a Scandinavian crime novel zooming in on a serial killer. At least the holiday season isn’t yet fully upon us bringing about overly polluted roads. And indeed this morning as I look at the most recent update, the truck took care of the driving overnight while I was sound asleep.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 4:25 pm

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Really? They have always been great at dropping the bags where I tell them. Always in back past the two annexes just to the left of the servants' entrance. You just have to be specific... ;-)
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 9:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JR67
Really? They have always been great at dropping the bags where I tell them. Always in back past the two annexes just to the left of the servants' entrance. You just have to be specific... ;-)
I'm just glad that SAS hasn't delivered delayed baggage to an ICA near you, or it would be really out of the way for both of us. Next time, I'll file the irregular baggage handling report to make sure the bag ends up in good hands "back past the two annexes just to the left of the servants' entrance".

What's the best way to get more SAS points from filling up cars with black gold in Sweden? Speeding in a big gas guzzler excepted.

Does the SAS Amex have category bonuses ever?
Old Oct 31, 2021, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

ICA Emporia does take AMEX, so does the newly opened Willys in the town where I lived (where the ICA stopped taking AMEX). It certainly looks like it is the franchise couple who took over the ICA from Smaland who doesn't like AMEX.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 6:32 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by nacho
ICA Emporia does take AMEX, so does the newly opened Willys in the town where I lived (where the ICA stopped taking AMEX). It certainly looks like it is the franchise couple who took over the ICA from Smaland who doesn't like AMEX.
ICA in Vellinge takes AMEX too...
Old Oct 31, 2021, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JR67
ICA in Vellinge takes AMEX too...
That particular ICA used to take AMEX until Oct 1. I guess this particular one might have something to do with change of franchise (I didn't have a chance to test my card at another ICA on that day). It's annoying that which card they accept is YMMV. I don't like that ICA anyway - once they had Salmon on sale and they said 2 purchase per customer, so I took my 2 and it's only the first 2 kilo was charged at the reduced price! Most salmon side weighs more than a kilo, so it's like cheating.

I guess Vellinge has more people that has AMEX than my town since the average income there is slightly above the national average. Vellinge schools also have 3 options for lunch to choose from where most places only have 2.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 7:03 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I'm seeing some large American e-commerce companies making a pretty good dent in this pathetic Swedish concept of not having your packaged mail delivered to your house. The situation is improving very quickly. As a consumer you just need to keep complaining about it.

It is also lovely to get 50 phone calls from your local pick up point because your 11 box delivery which is entitled to sit there for 2 weeks is taking up all or most of their storage space. This concept of not delivering ordered goods to the address that is on the box is a total joke.

Parcel mailboxes were invented decades ago but do not seem in use anywhere in Sweden which would completely solve the problem. My nearest supermarket has both a PostNord and UPS pick up point, an Instabox setup and another pick up locker setup who's name I forgot. If these companies would invest as much effort in just delivering the mail to my house in the first place, none of these would be needed.

Thank god for Budbee and Airmee improving things but it is a total mystery to me why PostNord gets away with this practice in the first place. As in, why is there no law protecting citizens who want their packages delivered at home.

Where I live, UPS just decides that no one was home without checking and sends the stuff to the nearest UPS-ombud.
UPS does this all the time but they are violating the law when they do this. It is of course not UPS doing this but their ....... union protected drivers, just call them and threaten to take them to court with the security tapes clearly showing no driver from UPS was on your property and they will expedite a new delivery. It typically stops after one or two incidents until you get a new driver.

Last edited by FlyingMoose; Nov 5, 2021 at 7:24 am
Old Nov 5, 2021, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You can complain about it if you are living in the cities, where I lived delivery guys treat it as a no-man land despite the municipality has over 15000 people.

Good luck with the parcel mailbox, I bought one for my house in DK and the stupid DAO still hang the damn package on my door! It's like a default to pick up whatever in a parcel point in DK unless you pay extra for it. At least in Denmark there are various ombud you can pick things up and send things from - from thrift shops to candy shop to grocery store.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.