Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS and Other SkyTeam Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2024, 4:54 am
Original Poster

SAS and Other SkyTeam Airlines

I am FB Plat living in DK and just status matched to EBG from TK *G.

I just made the calculation of retaining FBG and/or EBG.
I mainly fly TATL Canada and a bit US. I fly in all classes but this calculation really stuck out.

With FB it would take me 6 round trip CPH-YUL (one stop in CDG or AMS) in lowest discounted Y netting me 30XP pr. trip to retain Gold.

With EB it would take me around 27 round trips to retain EBG flying lowest discounted Y (R) with KL/AF/DL netting me a bit over 1600 points pr. trip.

I might be missing something but if I'm not Wow!
Old Aug 19, 2024, 10:27 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG, LH SEN
Is it really so bad ? I think extending EBD might become hard for me. Perhaps I should look into FB?
Old Aug 19, 2024, 11:02 am

You've discovered one instance where gaining gold status will be much easier with Flying Blue than with EuroBonus. But you can also find examples of the opposite.

In SAS Plus Pro on ARN-CPH-LAX, you'll get 17.000 points round-trip, which means gold after only three trips.

With Flying Blue in premium economy class on ARN-AMS-LAX, you'll need five round-trip flights to go from explorer to gold.

Stil likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2024, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK2751
Is it really so bad ? I think extending EBD might become hard for me. Perhaps I should look into FB?
It seems to be that bad, but we will all know soon enoght.
The thing with FB is that you will start from scratch and need 100XP for Silver + 180XP for Gold to become ST Elite Plus with lounge, Sky Priority ect. within one year after you qualify for Silver.
300XP extra from Gold to become Plat.

I don't know your flying patterns but I'm sure SK will go in to the exist FB matrix which is explained well here
https://www.flyingblue.com/en/progra...tus?country=NL

One thing to look out for that's domestic that only nets you 2XP and that's not much if one flyes from JFK to LAX in Y the same as from CPH to AAL.

​​​​​

Last edited by Stil; Sep 1, 2024 at 2:53 am
Old Aug 19, 2024, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Deleted

Last edited by Stil; Aug 19, 2024 at 11:14 am
Old Aug 19, 2024, 11:08 am

Flying discounted Y on SK was already now impossible to keep status.... I mean... 200 points for CPH-NYC in Go Light or 400 in Go Smart? And you need 45.000 for Gold or even 90.000 for EBD?

The most difficult part is always the year building up status in a new program. Using benefits from one and crediting to another program is risky. sometimes it works, sometimes not. So you have to comitt to the new program and will be SOL for a good part of the year flying basically without status. Hope they fold EB into FB at some point and retain the lifetime status which I earned the hard way.... a decade of flying SK economy
Stil likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2024, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
Flying discounted Y on SK was already now impossible to keep status.... I mean... 200 points for CPH-NYC in Go Light or 400 in Go Smart? And you need 45.000 for Gold or even 90.000 for EBD?

The most difficult part is always the year building up status in a new program. Using benefits from one and crediting to another program is risky. sometimes it works, sometimes not. So you have to comitt to the new program and will be SOL for a good part of the year flying basically without status. Hope they fold EB into FB at some point and retain the lifetime status which I earned the hard way.... a decade of flying SK economy
I agree it's hit an miss with building new status while using benefits from another program.
I will for sure not recommend it if dealing with DL. Quite a bit of their ground staff, that one deal's the most with like check in and lounge, can be a bit square to put it mildly.

It would amaze me if life time status would not transfer to FB.

Last edited by Stil; Aug 19, 2024 at 11:32 am
Old Aug 19, 2024, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
Hope they fold EB into FB at some point and retain the lifetime status which I earned the hard way.... a decade of flying SK economy
How is your back
JR67 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2024, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedChili
You've discovered one instance where gaining gold status will be much easier with Flying Blue than with EuroBonus. But you can also find examples of the opposite.

In SAS Plus Pro on ARN-CPH-LAX, you'll get 17.000 points round-trip, which means gold after only three trips.

With Flying Blue in premium economy class on ARN-AMS-LAX, you'll need five round-trip flights to go from explorer to gold.
Just a heads up right now there are ARN-CPH-SFO in Plus Smart (A) for 538€
That should net one 13400 level and bonus points if my calculation are correct.
And nearly Gold in 3 trips for 1614€. That's not bad.
​​​​​​

Last edited by Stil; Aug 19, 2024 at 12:25 pm
Old Aug 19, 2024, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Stil
Just a heads up right now there are ARN-CPH-SFO in Plus Smart (A) for 538€
That should net one 13400 level and bonus points if my calculation are correct.
And nearly Gold in 3 trips for 1614€. That's not bad.
​​​​​​
One way or return?
Old Aug 20, 2024, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacho
One way or return?
It's return and here is a bit more.

SEASONAL RESTRICTIONS: Permitted 01NOV through 16DEC or 08JAN through 31MAR for each transatlantic sector.
TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS: Valid for travel commencing on/after 01NOV 24 and on/before 30APR 25. All travel must be completed by midnight on 03MAY 25.
SALES RESTRICTIONS: Tickets must be issued on/after 14AUG 24 and on/before 26AUG 24.
DirektornSE likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2024, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's return and here is a bit more.

SEASONAL RESTRICTIONS: Permitted 01NOV through 16DEC or 08JAN through 31MAR for each transatlantic sector.
TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS: Valid for travel commencing on/after 01NOV 24 and on/before 30APR 25. All travel must be completed by midnight on 03MAY 25.
SALES RESTRICTIONS: Tickets must be issued on/after 14AUG 24 and on/before 26AUG 24.
Dates?
Old Aug 20, 2024, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Dates?
Open.
Old Aug 20, 2024, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Open.
Really? I doubt that you can pay that price during Christmas or school holidays though.
Old Aug 20, 2024, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Really? I doubt that you can pay that price during Christmas or school holidays though.
Look at seasonal restrictions in a prier post.
nacho likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.