Wiki Posts
Search

Help, I might be radioactive

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2024, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Help, I might be radioactive

I have a scan at my local hospital coming up shortly (exact date to be confirmed), and the process includes being injected with a radioactive dye to improve the image. I know somebody who had a similar scan last year and they said there was a poster on the wall of the hospital waiting room warning that a small amount of radioactivity remains in your system for a few days after the procedure. The poster advised that if you are travelling through an airport with sensitive scanners shortly after the hospital scan you may set off the alarms (close contact with other people after 24hrs is fine).

I have a flight from T5 in a coupke of weeks time and sods law the scan will be a couple of days before my departure. The only suggestion from the hospital is to carry a copy of the referral letter so the airport can see which procedure you have had.

Has anyone heard of this problem before?
Old Apr 26, 2024, 8:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Thallium in certain types of heart scan and Iodine in thyroid scans may cause this. Technetium in bone and lymph node scans I believe is less likely to do so. I imagine that the security staff would have some familiarity with it as these are pretty common procedures nowadays.

Yes, just take a copy of your appointment letter with you. It will be out of your system by the time you come back.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 8:50 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Just had the same procedure done last month.... nuclear stress test. I got the same warning about being radioactive for 2-3 days and that they would provide me a letter if I was planning to go through airport security.

This was in the US though so I expect that would be enough to get you to your gate. Given what I've been through at LHR security, I'd be scared to try it.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 9:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The Geiger Counter is on the way out from T5 (and other larger airports), you have probably heard it clicking. I've never seen it go off, but I doubt it includes a Gamma probe. Personally I'd not worry about it, but I would keep your medical advice handy. Plus, if you are going through some mental stress around all of this - quite normal - leaving it a few days before travelling sounds quite sensible.
squawk, becks1, uanj and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
My dad flew to Cyprus after a D-MARC scan not that long ago. No issues. Just explain if it comes up. It'll be OK!
Old Apr 26, 2024, 9:44 am

I had a radioisotope in me for a test and the hospital provided a letter explaining it and even included a telephone number if there were further questions that needed answering.

I wanted to experience this so off I went on a day trip to TLS to test out airport security. Nothing happened. No flashing lights, sirens and swat teams in hazard suits appeared!
Pigeon49, becks1, mnhusker and 6 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
I've had similar tests. Keep the letter from the hospital on your person so if there is a query you have it to hand.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
If it's anything like what happened to me when a swab of my hands triggered the explosives alarm at MAN, then you can expect someone senior to come, give you a proper look over, take details, but be on you way in under 10 minutes.
crazy8534 and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Why did I think this was going to be a thread about FLounge catering?
Old Apr 26, 2024, 11:38 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL
Know someone recently who went straight from test to T5 and flew with no issues. YMMV.
tmac100 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 11:44 am

I know quite a bit about this through family work connections. As a doctor (albeit not a radiologist) I also know a bit about nuclear medicine. The machines they use for detection are very sensitive. They reckon they'll pick up 1:1000 of the general population due to recent scans. A letter is fine. If you get picked up they can tell what isotopes you have been exposed to. Medical ones are fine as long as not a strong source (e.g. dirty weapon type thing). Its very common

I also had somebody who used to drink in my local who was armed police, royal type stuff. Absolute legend. He frequently got stopped at LHR for giving off residue. There are some very sophisticated monitoring systems.

If you do get picked up, panic not, explain, and rest assured the system works for detection.

I had a show and tell of some equipment at a major event recently and it is seriously cool kit. Be pleased the authorities are so careful.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 12:24 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
I have flown after eating Ready Brek, had no issues with the scanner
Old Apr 26, 2024, 12:32 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Greenpen
I had a radioisotope in me for a test and the hospital provided a letter explaining it and even included a telephone number if there were further questions that needed answering.

I wanted to experience this so off I went on a day trip to TLS to test out airport security. Nothing happened. No flashing lights, sirens and swat teams in hazard suits appeared!
I would have been disappointed. Probably enough to sneak back and have another go. It sounds as much fun as setting off the fire alarm back at school. But then my younger years may have been a bit misspent.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
I was "radioactive" in the USA. Just had a card from doctor to show when the system went off. Not as abnormal as it seems.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 1:12 pm
Original Member

Dont worry, carry your letter as advised, and be careful where you pee!

If its a diagnostic scan then you are more likely to be detectable than a treatment use of radionuclides (since diagnostic will be gamma emitters, making it easy to detect outside of the body), but they do decay away pretty quickly. The most common radionuclide used for scans is Tc99m which has a half life of 6hrs. Others radionuclides used include Ga68 at 68mins, F18 at 2hrs, and Ti201 at 72hrs, but Tc99m is by far the most common.
crazy8534 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.