Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More Reward Availability on the phone?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2024, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

More Reward Availability on the phone?

I am in Argentina and looking for flights from Buenos Aires to USA (anywhere) but there never seems to be any availability online.

If I call the BA Silver call centre do they have more availability over the phone than the online search?
Old Apr 26, 2024, 4:05 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by jamesjy
I am in Argentina and looking for flights from Buenos Aires to USA (anywhere) but there never seems to be any availability online.

If I call the BA Silver call centre do they have more availability over the phone than the online search?
Sounds like one for our man in Argentina, HIDDY
Old Apr 26, 2024, 4:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
One big factor here is exactly what route you are looking for here, since redemption searching is a bit of an art rather than a science. So for example EZE-CVG is unlikely ever to work, the connections won't show up. So you have to work backwards from the precise non-stop sectors on BA, IB and AA, separately check the connections. Then either take the multiple risks of separate reservations or call up for a single reservation.

If all else fails, MVD-MAD on Iberia is usually available as a redemption. If playing the long game, keep an eye on developments with Air Europa and their integration with Iberia.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Old Apr 26, 2024, 5:47 pm

No, they have better search tools if you get an agent willing to spend time and might be able to find some odd routing you aren’t seeing but no additional availability defined as something that isnt available on line if you know how to look
Old Apr 26, 2024, 8:19 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, KrisFlyer Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, Blah ~ Blah.. something more
The additional seats available on the BAEC status base are limited to Gold members and above,

They will be offered some additional availability in Y cabins, or they will have to use a GGL-only benefit called Space Release.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 12:54 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jamesjy
The definitive answer is no they don't,

Other responders have tried to give extra help by guessing what you might want, I'll try some more guesses.
You need to consider the airlines you want to fly, when you want to fly and the class you want to travel in.
AA availabilty works differently to BA, Latam and Iberia in terms of when they release reward availability.
Most of them release some sort of rewards at their outer booking window (355 days in advance for BA) and these often get snapped up for popular routes so you may need to be booking a year in advance (you didn't say what dates you had tried, or had in mind). AA use dynamic reward pricing, and only the lowest priced rewards can be booked through BA so more might be released close in if they can't sell the seats etc.
Are you trying to get business class or first flights? These tend to be hard to find because few are released and that's what most people redeeming want, so the availability gets snapped up, economy is a lot easier.

Anywhere in the US is a lot of wiggle room, there are too many possibilities.
If you say how many Avios you can redeem, what class options, preferred locations in Argentina to depart, prefered parts of US to visit (East, West, Mid, North, South, Canada, Alsaka etc) when you would like to travel and whether you want direct flights or are prepared to transit in one or more places along the way, then I am sure people will make more useful suggestions.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 1:02 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
MVD-MAD on Iberia is usually available as a redemption.
Quite a long way round to get to the USA. I took USA (anywhere) to mean anywhere in the USA, but it could have meant anywhere on the planet I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.