Wiki Posts
Search

AMS - LCY lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2024, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold
AMS - LCY lounge access

I am flying AMS - LCY Business, would get lounge access in AMS? There is no mention of this in the flight details when booking, just notes -

• Guaranteed window or aisle seat

• 2 x 32kg / 2 x 70lb checked baggage allowance

• Dedicated check-in area

• Contoured leather seat with guaranteed window or aisle
Thank you
Old Apr 26, 2024, 4:15 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, unless it's a very late service, AMS-LCY in business gets you into the oneworld lounge in AMS. Nothing on the return though if LCY-AMS.
Seanyj likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Having just passed through it is a very pleasant lounge.
Seanyj likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold
Thank you for the replies. If don't pay for a seat, and wait until 24 hours before departure to select for free, will I risk sitting at the back of the aircraft, or will they still have seats available at the front for business? The Aircraft is an Embraer 190 so all seating looks the same.

Last edited by Seanyj; Apr 26, 2024 at 9:56 pm
Old Apr 26, 2024, 10:51 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
There is still a separate virtual business (Club Europe) cabin - so the furthest back you will be is at the back of however many rows are allocated for business class.

Seats are 2x2 for the entire aircraft - so the only reason to pay for a seat is if you have an unnaturally strong preference for either a window or aisle seat (and even then you could almost certainly figure that out on the day) .

Let me add a question to this thread ... Are large carry on bags still gate checked for this flight (to be collected at a baggage belt) - or deposited and collected at a separate baggage trolley?
Seanyj likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 10:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Seanyj
Thank you for the replies. If don't pay for a seat, and wait until 24 hours before departure to select for free, will I risk sitting at the back of the aircraft, or will they still have seats available at the front for business? The Aircraft is an Embraer 190 so all seating looks the same.
Short haul business class ("Club Europe") on BA is always a specific number of rows from the front of the aircraft. The curtain between business and economy is moved depending on the relative demand for each class, but the furthest back you could be sitting is row 10 on an E190 for example.

To be honest, unless you have a lot of luggage or need the extra Tier Points or lounge access, there's not much point in paying extra for business class on CityFlyer flights. Unlike mainline (Heathrow) and Euroflyer (Gatwick) flights, even economy gets a complimentary small snack and a choice of drink from the trolley. The seating configuration is 2+2 so you're guaranteed a window or aisle seat in either class - and you don't get the seat next to you blocked off in Business, as you do on the 3+3 Airbus aircraft.
adrianlondon and Seanyj like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 11:09 pm

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by flarmip

To be honest, unless you have a lot of luggage or need the extra Tier Points or lounge access, there's not much point.
… do you know – I used to think exactly the same thing but then changed my mind.

Firstly, there is a wider selection of drinks in business – such as no champagne or tea or coffee in the back. In business you get a real glass and ice – there never seems to be ice available in the back and I detest plastic cups. Also, in the front there is a Top Up service available not to mention a more substantial meal, depending upon the route. Also – I found several times in the back my nicely chosen seat was “amended” and I was plonked somewhere else, usually squashed next to another pax, for “weight and balance purposes “. This hasn’t happened in the front.
flarmip and Seanyj like this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by GinFizz
Let me add a question to this thread ... Are large carry on bags still gate checked for this flight (to be collected at a baggage belt) - or deposited and collected at a separate baggage trolley?
Gate checked bags will be returned to you at the baggage belt upon arrival.

Note that the maximum size limit for carry-ons is the same as mainline, though maximal size bags will have to be stored sideways so the space runs out quite promptly.
Mekko and GinFizz like this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 1:53 am

Programs: BA GGL
​​​​​​Gate-checking larger carry-on items is common practice across all short-haul BA flights as there simply isn't enough space in the overhead lockers if everyone brings their permitted allowance. Usually only those in groups 4+ are required to gate-check bags. If you're in business you'll be in group 1, so you'll be exempt from this.
GinFizz likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 3:09 am

To be honest, unless you have a lot of luggage or need the extra Tier Points or lounge access, there's not much point in paying extra for business class on CityFlyer flights.
I think BA know this too. I'm looking at LCY-ZRH flights. Over the next few weeks, the cost difference between economy (with a checked-bag) and business on most flights is around £26 (Fr.30). As I'm Bronze and need tier points, I'm seriously considering upgrading despite the lack of lounge and fast-track. Not that there's any need for the latter at LCY.

How many glasses of champagne do I need to drink to get £26 worth?
flarmip, SxMan and Seanyj like this.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 1:39 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by stifle
Gate checked bags will be returned to you at the baggage belt upon arrival.

Note that the maximum size limit for carry-ons is the same as mainline, though maximal size bags will have to be stored sideways so the space runs out quite promptly.
​​​​​​Gate-checking larger carry-on items is common practice across all short-haul BA flights as there simply isn't enough space in the overhead lockers if everyone brings their permitted allowance. Usually only those in groups 4+ are required to gate-check bags. If you're in business you'll be in group 1, so you'll be exempt from this.
Super - thanks for the replies. I just had a memory in my head of all larger carry-on bags being handed in just prior to boarding via steps to be loaded on a trolley, and then collecting the carry-on bags after landing at the bottom of the steps. I think now though - thanks to your replies - I am mixing this up with maybe the LAX-SFO shuttle on American Eagle (or some similar service).
Old Apr 28, 2024, 2:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Super - thanks for the replies. I just had a memory in my head of all larger carry-on bags being handed in just prior to boarding via steps to be loaded on a trolley, and then collecting the carry-on bags after landing at the bottom of the steps. I think now though - thanks to your replies - I am mixing this up with maybe the LAX-SFO shuttle on American Eagle (or some similar service).
Going back a very long time it did use to happen this way on some BACF routes, such as LCY to EDI for example on E145s, but LCY never liked that process and forced BACF to make it gate to carousel rather than door to door. But that was quite some time ago. There are significant advantages in getting a fully printed luggage label, so it's probably a good thing overall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.