Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Holidays that don’t offer deposit option

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2024, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

Are there specific conditions that mean a holiday booking does not offer a deposit option?

I have been looking at a Mexico holiday for a week Christmas break (2 people, 2 rooms, business class, mixed BA / AA all on BA codeshare numbers).

Called BA holidays who were not able to offer a deposit option and couldn’t shed any light on the logic behind it?

Is the collective wisdom here able to shed that light on what might be causing this so I can tweak what I’m trying to go after booking?

Many thank, as always, for the help!

Last edited by BASon; Apr 29, 2024 at 11:43 am Reason: Incorrect title
Old Apr 29, 2024, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
This shouldn’t be an issue, if used BAH for CUN and paid deposits, but not flown to MEX, Can you perhaps give more dates / flight info? Perhaps a screenshot? Have you tried “create custom trip” on BA.com?
Old Apr 29, 2024, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I don’t know the answer but I have certainly seen what the OP describes- no option to just pay a deposit but for no obvious reason. I seem to remember I got short shrift here when I queried it here so very interested in the replies.
BASon likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
This shouldn’t be an issue, if used BAH for CUN and paid deposits, but not flown to MEX, Can you perhaps give more dates / flight info? Perhaps a screenshot? Have you tried “create custom trip” on BA.com?
I’ll try to upload screenshots later when I’m back at my laptop, but as an example true for various dates in December (6 or 7 nights) to Los Cabos (SJD) via, for example, Dallas (DFW) from London (LHR) return same route. Online & by phone. Hotels as per BA holidays selection.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 1:52 pm

Seeing this quite a bit at the moment on flights & car enquiries online. I’ve been trying multiple US routings to make use of the current sale. Straightforward routes and cabin usage will bring up the car rental as part of a BAH and a deposit is offered. If the itinerary becomes a little more complex; e.g. LHR->DFW->PHX in First, car rental for 2 weeks, return flights direct PHX->LHR in Club, then the car rental is offered as an extra to the flight only cost and not transferred to a BAH package (and therefore a deposit option isn’t offered).
MikeW924, BA850 and BASon like this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 2:40 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
For the most part, this is caused by one of the holiday aspects being non-refundable. The website can't get past that, and so makes the entire trip payable.

Call in and they'll likely book the trip manually for you, meaning it's still a BAH booking, but also with a deposit (albeit non-refundable).

M
Old Apr 29, 2024, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA
I had a similar issue recently, I could book my flights and hotels to and from Tokyo whilst paying a deposit but when I tried to fly into Hiroshima via Tokyo and back out of Tokyo, I couldn’t find a way to book with a deposit. I called BA holidays and they told me it’s because the flight between Hiroshima and Tokyo was operated by JAL, maybe this is a similar situation?
BASon likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Had exactly the same issue when booking a holiday in which the car hire began one day after the outbound flight (i.e., overnighting at a hotel close to the arrival airport rather than picking it up straight away, although the hotel itself was not part of the combined booking).

The system had a fit; first crashing completely and then eventually producing the payment page without a deposit option.

Rang the Gold Line, where a really superb representative sorted the whole thing out.

Just call, is the moral of the story. It shouldn’t be this difficult, but we’ll all have to make do while we wait for the results of the IT transformation…
shonerm likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Call in and they'll likely book the trip manually for you, meaning it's still a BAH booking, but also with a deposit (albeit non-refundable).
Originally Posted by BA850
Just call, is the moral of the story
Err, but the issue is the OP has already called and was told no.

Maybe they'll get a different response if they call again, but important to acknowledge that they've already tried that...

Originally Posted by BASon
Called BA holidays who were not able to offer a deposit option and couldn’t shed any light on the logic behind it?
oceanscape and DeathSlam like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:59 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
For the most part, this is caused by one of the holiday aspects being non-refundable. The website can't get past that, and so makes the entire trip payable.

M
it's certainly not always the case - if for example I price up a flight only booking and then when it tries to upsell with a hotel on the next page, you sometimes get a 'per night' price rather than a package one - ditto if you then play around with dates when a package is quoted (because you only want the hotel for part of the trip) - you
invariably get a compartmentalised flight plus hotel quote with no option to pay a deposit.

...whereas you can generally get the same combination to work on a custom trip booking with a deposit. Never works for split class bookings with partial date hotel though.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
I too had this when adding car hire which wasn't for the entire length of the trip - unfortunately I didn't think to call up and ask them to sort it so that we could book with just the deposit, thankfully I now know for next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.