Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ Baggage Mystery

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2024, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
YYZ Connecting Flight Baggage Problem

I flew Cathay Pacific CX828 HKG to YYZ. Had a connecting flight on Delta to Detroit. Baggage was properly tagged for both flights.

After arriving YYZ I cleared immigration and collected my bag no problem. I was following the signs for "Connecting (or Continuing) Flights. Near the exit for baggage claim there was an attendant staffing a belt. He asked if I was connecting and I confirmed. He placed my bag on the belt, scanned it, and away it went. A few hours later I noticed that Delta had not yet scanned my bag. To make a long story short, it seems that the belt that took my bag was for international flights, and while Canada to the USA is international, YYZ apparently treats it as domestic. So my bag went down the wrong belt.

I have Tile Tags in my bag, and I can see they are still at YYZ. Delta has been absolutely no help. I filed a missing bag report and contacted them several times. They have "sent messages" to YYZ, but apparently these are just one-way messages and have no information to share. They said because it went into the international area, the bag was likely to be returned to Cathay Pacific, but that is news to Cathay. I contact them, and they basically said "Your bag was delivered to YYZ. We'll let you know if it gets returned."

So even through I watched the guy at the belt scan my bag, nobody seems to know where it is. Again, I can see Tile pings every hour or so, so I know it's still there.

I have no idea how to get this jump-started. Is there some baggage number for YYZ? It seems this is a bag that is not officially in the possession of any airline. I have no idea who will be responsible for the lost bag replacement cost. Ug.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 1:19 pm

I am from YYZ. There are 3 completely different areas. Domestic within Canada, pre-clear USA and international. You have to recheck your bag in the preclear-USA area in case US Customs wants to check it (you and your luggage will both arrive in DTW as if it was a domestic flight). The YYZ employee misdirected you as if you were flying internationally and not to USA.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I am from YYZ. There are 3 completely different areas. Domestic within Canada, pre-clear USA and international. You have to recheck your bag in the preclear-USA area in case US Customs wants to check it (you and your luggage will both arrive in DTW as if it was a domestic flight). The YYZ employee misdirected you as if you were flying internationally and not to USA.
Thanks. Yeah, Delta sorta explained that to me.. I infrequently fly in/out of Canada, so I had no idea about this. How would I have known? If they had a little signage, it would've helped. :-(

The question is, what do I do now?
Old Apr 29, 2024, 1:41 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Try submitting a claim with the Toronto Pearson lost & found office: https://app.nettracer.aero/lf-pax/gtaa/report

The main page for the office is https://www.torontopearson.com/en/wh...d-found-office

I have no first-hand experience with this, but they have responsibility for locating items lost in the terminal so they should be able to help find your bag (esp. with the Tile pings) and arrange return shipping. Good luck, I hope it works for you. Please let us know if it did.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Sorry to say YYZ may be the worst airport in North America for these sorts of thing to get sorted. Very large, dysfunctional place.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Sorry to say YYZ may be the worst airport in North America for these sorts of thing to get sorted. Very large, dysfunctional place.
Yeah, I'm going to avoid this place going forward. Immigration was haphazard and needlessly for and inefficient. There was this baggage problem. Absurdity small lounges. Unorganized at the gate. I could go on...

I just hope it won't take more than a few days.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Good luck, I hope it works for you. Please let us know if it did.
Thanks. Good idea.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
I have no idea who will be responsible for the lost bag replacement cost. Ug.
My understanding is that the final carrier, in this case DL, is responsible. (They are free to go after other parties but they need to compensate you.)

Hopefully someone else will have an idea on how you can prod someone into finding your bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.