Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA lounge access at Dulles (IAD)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2024 | 11:09 am
Original Poster

BA lounge access at Dulles (IAD)

We are travelling to Washington Dulles (IAD) on BA First Class, booked with BA.
From Dulles we are taking an American Airlines domestic flight to Charlotte (CLT) in Business/First.. This flight was booked directly with AA.
Will we be permitted to use the BA lounge at Dulles even if we didn’t book through British Airways? We have quite a long wait between flights and there is no AA lounge available. One Gold card holder, one silver - if that makes any difference.
Thank you.
Old Jul 26, 2024 | 11:29 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BA Gold, AA Gold
I don't know IAD that well.
But standard oneworld rules should apply.
Arriving International Business or First ticket should give you access.

oneworld.com says
  • Access for eligible customers traveling on any oneworld member airline.
So yes your First class ticket will work
Bsbbird16 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2024 | 11:36 am
50 Countries Visited1M5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC GGL; TK Elite (*A Gold); SAS Eurobonus Gold (Skyteam Elite Plus); Mucci des Puccis
Discussed here

BA Lounge Access in IAD - FlyerTalk Forums
Bsbbird16 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2024 | 11:39 am
10 Countries Visited50 Countries Visited100k5 Years on Site

Programs: BA GGL, SAS EBG
In theory - yes, you are permitted access under the OneWorld access rules by virtue of arriving in First. In practice, the BA-operated lounges in North America have a policy of abusing the "subject to capacity" exclusion in the OW rules to routinely deny entry for anyone who isn't departing on a BA/AA TATL flight. Mysteriously there is space for TATL pax but as soon as any domestic passengers arrive, the lounge shrinks and is unable to accommodate them...

So I would expect to have to make alternative arrangements.
Bsbbird16 and N1120A like this.
Old Jul 26, 2024 | 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flarmip
In theory - yes, you are permitted access under the OneWorld access rules by virtue of arriving in First. In practice, the BA-operated lounges in North America have a policy of abusing the "subject to capacity" exclusion in the OW rules to routinely deny entry for anyone who isn't departing on a BA/AA TATL flight. Mysteriously there is space for TATL pax but as soon as any domestic passengers arrive, the lounge shrinks and is unable to accommodate them...

So I would expect to have to make alternative arrangements.
Cue the excuses for this behavior by BA arriving in 5...4...3...2...

Regards
flarmip, Bsbbird16, N1120A and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 26, 2024 | 12:18 pm
50 Countries Visited1M5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC GGL; TK Elite (*A Gold); SAS Eurobonus Gold (Skyteam Elite Plus); Mucci des Puccis
OK, I'll bite.

The capacity requirement for the TATL flights is constrained anyway, and the number of BA passengers who are eligible is known ahead of time. So the capacity is reserved. That means the TATL passengers have space when they arrive. Even with that provision, the lounge is routinely full anyway.

It may be that having arrived in F may help since that could open up access to First Dining which isn't busy. Maybe something to ask You First about.
Old Jul 26, 2024 | 3:53 pm
50 Countries Visited5M100 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
I doubt you will get access to First Dining and... the small "First" area is very small and nothing special.
Bsbbird16 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2024 | 7:49 pm
40 Countries Visited1M80 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by bisonrav
OK, I'll bite.

The capacity requirement for the TATL flights is constrained anyway, and the number of BA passengers who are eligible is known ahead of time. So the capacity is reserved. That means the TATL passengers have space when they arrive. Even with that provision, the lounge is routinely full anyway.

It may be that having arrived in F may help since that could open up access to First Dining which isn't busy. Maybe something to ask You First about.
Arriving in TATL F connecting to domestic J does not give access to the First Dining at IAD and I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t even as a GGL
crazy8534, Bsbbird16 and Genius1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.