Search

Travelling with a bicycle

Search this Thread

Old Today | 12:24 pm
Original Poster
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Gold; Le Club Accorhotels Plat; Marriott Gold
Travelling with a bicycle

Does anyone have and can share experience of travelling with a bicycle on BA?

Is my understanding correct that, being a sports equipment, it does NOT fall under a definition of the second luggage piece? As I'm a gold executive member, it would have been free otherwise... Not a deal breaker, but good to know.

There are certain requirements to packaging, I've read about them... anything else I should know that might not be mentioned, but good to know?

Thank you in advance.
Old Today | 12:36 pm
40 Countries Visited1M40 Nights15 Years on Site

https://www.britishairways.com/conte...orts-equipment

Everything you need to know is covered in the dedicated section on ba.com 👍

Jimmie76, mikeyfly and tenn_ace like this.
Old Today | 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See also:
Flying with a bike - airport advice log
Fly a bike from T5
Old Today | 1:20 pm
50 Countries Visited3M20 Years on Site

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I have taken my bike away with me 5 times last year and 3 times this year so far with 1 more next month. It just counts as part of my baggage allowance as a F on long haul or CE. You are supposed to phone them to tell them so they can make space and IMO only when a big event is on where loads of bikes are loaded so they can cope.

At T5 F wing the box is collected and taken away, earlier this year in T3 as there were some many bikes we had to take them downstairs into the baggage handling area ourselves to be checked.

Old Today | 1:56 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Silver
Hi

Also done a lot of flying with my bike box. BA routinely seem to view it as a 2nd piece of luggage, allowed up to 32kg but usually weighting about 23-25kg for a hard-shell box, so incurring no extra charges within your normal 2x 32kg allowance as a Gold on economy flights all over Europe. Haven't pre-informed any flights that I'll have one, and it's always got on the flight with me. The thread referred to in the replies is good for info on various destination airports if you know where you're going for eg collection of oversized baggage at the other end. Some countries don't like the little co2 cylinders in your bike box, eg when departing USA. Also useful is that if you're a Gold & booking the BA flights for a cycling trip for a few people, everyone else on your booking gets enough luggage allowance that their bike box gets on for free too.

Hope that is helpful, let me know if I can help with any more info
tenn_ace likes this.
Old Today | 2:16 pm
50 Countries Visited3M20 Years on Site

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
The Co2 thing isn’t a country specific thing it is an airline thing and pretty much universal. Does every one? No do the TSA always open none boxes no matter what? Yes IMHO.
tenn_ace likes this.
Old Today | 2:18 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by CT-UK
The Co2 thing isn’t a country specific thing it is an airline thing and pretty much universal. Does every one? No do the TSA always open none boxes no matter what? Yes IMHO.
I guess it just reflects where I got zinged for them and where I got lucky then!
tenn_ace likes this.
Old Today | 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all. Your time and inputs are greatly appreciated!
Old Today | 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rtl198
Hi

Also done a lot of flying with my bike box. BA routinely seem to view it as a 2nd piece of luggage, allowed up to 32kg but usually weighting about 23-25kg for a hard-shell box, so incurring no extra charges within your normal 2x 32kg allowance as a Gold on economy flights all over Europe. Haven't pre-informed any flights that I'll have one, and it's always got on the flight with me. The thread referred to in the replies is good for info on various destination airports if you know where you're going for eg collection of oversized baggage at the other end. Some countries don't like the little co2 cylinders in your bike box, eg when departing USA. Also useful is that if you're a Gold & booking the BA flights for a cycling trip for a few people, everyone else on your booking gets enough luggage allowance that their bike box gets on for free too.

Hope that is helpful, let me know if I can help with any more info
Planning to take it to Funchal/Madeira. Unfortunately, I haven't yet found any info in the referred thread but will check again. I'd have thought this will be a popular location for cyclists
Old Today | 8:19 pm

Plenty of helpful people already posted useful information. One extra piece of advice, if you're unfamiliar with soft sided bike bags, is to make sure you wrap the frame up well. I have an old piece of carpet that I surround the bottom of the bag with to add extra protection. Weight has never been an issue when travelling with a bike so make sure it's not going to be damaged due to lack of padding on your part.

Enjoy your biking trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.