Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

aLoft Montreal Airport, YUL [Master Thread]

aLoft Montreal Airport, YUL [Master Thread]

Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Arrow aLoft Montreal Airport, YUL [Master Thread]

...just completed a stay...overall just an OK...really not that special.
Bed was good but its only a few weeks old. The hub to plug any device into the 42 plasma was great...and I dug the retro clock.
Not so great was the ceiling (just exposed concrete) the toiletries (no conditioner...just 2 in 1)...only 250 pts plat amenity...and the piped in music was really loud everywhere.
So over all no vibe like a W, just sort of a wannabe.
It was OK and is nicer than the 4 Pt.s down the street but overall just a 5 out of 10 from me.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
So, would you pick the W Montreal over this aLoft?
Old Jun 22, 2008, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Having stayed in both, I can say that the W is MUCH nicer. Also, the W is downtown, whereas aloft is out by the airport.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 2:34 pm

We're going to be driving up from Burlington, VT, so would it make sense to stay at the aLoft on the last night before we leave, is it on the way back to the US border?
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:33 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SASfan
We're going to be driving up from Burlington, VT, so would it make sense to stay at the aLoft on the last night before we leave, is it on the way back to the US border?
For an extra stay credit and a chance to check it out, I'd say so
Old Jun 23, 2008, 9:00 am

Programs: AGR WOH
So, would you pick the W Montreal over this aLoft?
Choose the aloft only if it's in your price range, if you don't mind staying way out by the airport (ugh), or if you're super-curious about the new brand. However, keep your expectations in line: the two brands are intended to compete in very different market segments -- hence a stay on 1 July costs $299 at the W, $139 at aloft. For $139, can you really expect something to be all that special?

BTW, Smith Travel Research classifies Starwood brands into these hotel market segments:
* Luxury [Luxury Collection, St. Regis, W]
* Upper Upscale Chains [Le Meridien, Sheraton, Westin]
* Upscale Chains [aloft, element, Four Points]
Other "upscale chain" offerings include Courtyard, Hilton Garden Inn, Crowne Plaza, Hyatt Summerfield Suites, Radisson, Residence Inn, and Wyndham.

Starwood has no presence in the lower tiers:
* Midscale Chains with F & B (Food & Beverage) [e.g., Holiday Inn]
* Midscale Chains without F & B (Food & Beverage) [e.g., Hampton Inn]
* Economy Chains [e.g., Red Roof Inn]
* Independents

Last edited by paytonc; Jun 25, 2008 at 11:36 pm Reason: add info
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:09 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
The area around YUL is less than lovely.
There is nothing to see around the aloft YUL.
It really would not be my choice of starwood lodging in Montreal.
There are four SPG in the city itself for mattress runs-but if it will be a late in early out it might be ok-again not my first choice.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
W no question...BUT...

...for the next month it is 8X the points for staying at the ALOFT property at YUL.
By the way the postal code is so new it may not load into your GPS (mine didnt) but its right on the road into the airport...right beside the Hilton.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Any pics of the property (especially the rooms) from one of you that has stayed there? Only aloft pics I have seen so far were taken of the prototype property at the recent invitation only party. It would be nice to see pics of an actual property that guests can stay at.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:25 pm

Programs: United MM
Stay away from this property! I am writing this post from this aLoft right now.

I paid more than the Sheraton Le Centre rate to stay here - just to check it out. And I was shocked to find out that there is no Restaurant here. No restaurants near by. No club level, no free breakfast, no welcome amenity. No Platinum benefits. No upgraded rooms on the property.

Rooms are nice - much better than the Sheraton Le Centre, but that's the only thing going for this place.

I'll never be staying at this or any other aLoft again.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 9:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Is it me or are people expecting way too much out of these alofts? Aren't these places supposed to compete with HGIs and CYs? Then why are people expecting W and Westin level properties?
Old Jun 26, 2008, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
Is it me or are people expecting way too much out of these alofts? Aren't these places supposed to compete with HGIs and CYs? Then why are people expecting W and Westin level properties?
No, I'm not expecting too much. At CY and HGI you still have status recognition and restaurants/breakfast, etc. I woke up this morning and there is no newspaper outside the door (CY not only gives a paper, but they recognize my Marriott preference and put a WSJ in front of the door).

On this one *wood really got it all wrong. And by the way, in another thread there was some discussion of the laminate furnishings and how they would chip off. My room already has this problem - and the hotel has been open barely 3 weeks!!
Old Jun 26, 2008, 4:39 am

....And what's inexplicable is that this aLoft is C$169 when the Sheraton Le Centre was C$161 and the Le Meridien was even cheaper! How can these guys charge more for so much less to offer??
Old Jun 26, 2008, 6:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by nowhereman
....And what's inexplicable is that this aLoft is C$169 when the Sheraton Le Centre was C$161 and the Le Meridien was even cheaper! How can these guys charge more for so much less to offer??
I agree that the furnishings should not be so cheap and a "budget" property should not be 169$; that's outrageous indeed. Since this is a new brand they will have alot of things to "tune up" in the coming months... even a couple of years maybe.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by paytonc
Choose the aloft only if it's in your price range, if you don't mind staying way out by the airport (ugh), or if you're super-curious about the new brand. However, keep your expectations in line: the two brands are intended to compete in very different market segments -- hence a stay on 1 July costs $299 at the W, $139 at aloft. For $139, can you really expect something to be all that special?

BTW, Smith Travel Research classifies Starwood brands into these hotel market segments:
* Luxury [Luxury Collection, St. Regis, W]
* Upper Upscale Chains [Le Meridien, Sheraton, Westin]
* Upscale Chains [aloft, element, Four Points]
Other "upscale chain" offerings include Courtyard, Hilton Garden Inn, Crowne Plaza, Hyatt Summerfield Suites, Radisson, Residence Inn, and Wyndham.

Starwood has no presence in the lower tiers:
* Midscale Chains with F & B (Food & Beverage) [e.g., Holiday Inn]
* Midscale Chains without F & B (Food & Beverage) [e.g., Hampton Inn]
* Economy Chains [e.g., Red Roof Inn]
* Independents
Nice rundown of all the properties - but, do you really consider 4 Pts an 'upscale chain?' I don't. I think it is more in line with the Holiday Inn Expresses, Hilton Garden Inns, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.