Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been upgraded from business to first?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2019, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Hey, curious to know if anyone has been bumped up to first from business on SQ due to aircraft change or overbooking?

Travelling in J from LHR to SIN and just curious if this ever happens?

Thanks
Old Dec 15, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Yes it's happened and happens, but rare. And if you're just randomly hoping for an upgrade, then forget about it.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Are you Solitaire PPS on a Z class fare? If so there may be a chance if ... and only if .... business and/or lower cabins are overbooked (more likely around big holiday times). If not, forget it.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 10:28 pm

If you have to ask...
chisquared and RTWFF like this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Unlike other airlines, SQ purposefully does not overbook their flights. It still happens, but its extremely rare. They also typically only change aircraft far in advance, so they are almost never forced to bump passengers for this reason.

If youre looking to score a free upgrade from J to F, youre probably better off qualifying for PPS Solitaire and flying on your birthday. This will be much more expensive than just paying to fly in F, of course.
Wramsey1980, FlyerEC and lokijuh like this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
I think I'm one of the lucky ones. Myself and my wife were bumped up on the second leg of a long-haul flight from business to first. Although we fly SQ regularly we have no status with SQ but I am *A Gold.
Wramsey1980 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 4:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Rejecting an upgrade to First Suites

Must be one of few who have rejected an upgrade . Did not like the seat as it was not a window . LHR - SIN
Let my SO , enjoy the aisle seat while I stayed in my usual “ Raffles “ J bulkhead
Like “ Raffles “ being used , not generic business like these days - boring - so still use the term .

Have enjoyed and have been upgraded a few times on my birthday , the times I happen to fly on my birthday .
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:46 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
I was upgraded to First on my first SQ flight from AKL to SIN in 1994.

Ever since if I want to fly in First I have had to pay or redeem points.
anaidross likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
I was upgraded this year from J to F on SIN - MEL due to a broken seat, and a full flight.
chisquared likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by sabbasolo
I was upgraded this year from J to F on SIN - MEL due to a broken seat, and a full flight.
How broken was the seat? Did you get your meal choices in F?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by chisquared
Unlike other airlines, SQ purposefully does not overbook their flights. It still happens, but it’s extremely rare. They also typically only change aircraft far in advance, so they are almost never forced to bump passengers for this reason.
I don't think this is correct. I know F is never overbooked. I know Y can be overbooked. Not sure about J. And if Y is overbooked and upgrades are required to J, and upgrades are in turn required to F, SQ will do it. A couple of years ago I flew AKL-SIN on the A380; there were six of us originally in F and five op-ups on the day.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, it happens. But dont expect it to, because it probably wont.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Top of climb
I don't think this is correct. I know F is never overbooked. I know Y can be overbooked. Not sure about J. And if Y is overbooked and upgrades are required to J, and upgrades are in turn required to F, SQ will do it. A couple of years ago I flew AKL-SIN on the A380; there were six of us originally in F and five op-ups on the day.
It will depend on the situation. If there are few last min paxes willing to pay for the full J price, SQ might open up the seats n upgrade some other paxes to F. (For AKL-SIN, the full J price is actually only slightly lower than the F price). But SQ will usually try not to do so.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Top of climb
Im not clear on what exactly I wrote that is contradicted by what you say here.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Originally Posted by chisquared
How broken was the seat? Did you get your meal choices in F?
Leg rest wasn't working, and the seat was slightly reclined which was uncomfortable. The purser mentioned that I would still get a business meal, and they brought me my special meal forward, but offered additional stuff from the first menu as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.