Search

Orchard or?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2024 | 12:19 pm
Original Poster
50 Countries Visited1M100 Nights20 Years on Site

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Orchard or?

My plan was to stay in Orchard (1.5 days in Sin next month) - but as I read more here Orchard might not be the place for us and hoping to get some advice here.

prefer staying in five star hotels. Not big on shopping name brand stores. Want to stay in an area where we can walk around lvoal
shopping, feel the city and try local foods. What are your recommendations?

thanjs!
Old Sep 1, 2024 | 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
40 Countries Visited60 Nights5M15 Years on Site

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think there's good walking from Raffles, Fullerton, and Fullerton Bay hotels, although I wouldn't consider the latter two to be five star.

I've also stayed in the Westin (not five star) and walked to Chinatown. as well as Marina Bay. There's a famous food court within a few blocks of the hotel. The immediate neighborhood has a lot of newish office buildings and hence reasonable lunch-type restaurants that would appeal to local office workers.

ADDED: There should be a big thread on Singapore luxury hotels in the Luxury Hotels and Travel forum here on FT.

I agree with your disinclination to stay around Orchard, although from the "far end" near the StR, you can walk to some upscale residential neighborhoods, including an area with some embassies.
Desirees likes this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 1, 2024 at 12:54 pm
Old Sep 2, 2024 | 10:45 am
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Desirees
My plan was to stay in Orchard (1.5 days in Sin next month) - but as I read more here Orchard might not be the place for us and hoping to get some advice here.

prefer staying in five star hotels. Not big on shopping name brand stores. Want to stay in an area where we can walk around lvoal
shopping, feel the city and try local foods. What are your recommendations?

thanjs!
Maybe around the Bugis area.
close to kampong glam, little india and the colonial district

There is an Intercontinental hotel there and nearby there is Raffles hotel and swisshotel.
naumi hotel is not bad too
OskiBear likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2024 | 4:16 am
50 Countries Visited1M2M5 Years on Site

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (Only took 30 years)
Originally Posted by HawaiiO

There is an Intercontinental hotel there and nearby there is Raffles hotel and swisshotel.
I'd agree with this. Orchard only if shopping is your thing.

Even if you don't stay in Raffles, try the Writers BAR, pricey and you may need to book, but a pleasing ambience.
Old Sep 4, 2024 | 8:54 am
10 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Agree with the others. Stayed near Orchard recently and hated the location. Orchard is not for local food or vibe.

In general, be prepared to be scorched walking. At least this July, it was unbearably hot and I dreaded walking more than 5 minutes outdoor (in the past I walked a lot in SG).
Desirees and Midships like this.
Old Sep 5, 2024 | 11:15 am
50 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist

I concur - InterContinental by Bugis is my go-to place in Singapore. The neighborhood definitely feels more organic than Orchard Rd. Plus, it's very walkable with short blocks and the scale of things doesn't make you feel overwhelmed by huge buildings/malls.
Desirees and Midships like this.
Old Sep 5, 2024 | 2:48 pm
Original Poster
50 Countries Visited1M100 Nights20 Years on Site

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I concur - InterContinental by Bugis is my go-to place in Singapore. The neighborhood definitely feels more organic than Orchard Rd. Plus, it's very walkable with short blocks and the scale of things doesn't make you feel overwhelmed by huge buildings/malls.
is it the IC Robertson Quay or the IC Singapore? Thank you!
Old Sep 5, 2024 | 8:38 pm
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Desirees
is it the IC Robertson Quay or the IC Singapore? Thank you!
IC Singapore
Old Sep 15, 2024 | 4:47 am
40 Countries Visited2M10 Years on Site

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I would hardly recommend the Bugis area to anyone. It's mainly known for a junk-selling market. Like Little India, Bugis is the sort of place you go to once (if that) and then probably don't even go back there again on subsequent stays.

The Swissotel The Stamford would be a decent choice with wonderful views from the rooms and a bar up top with probably the best view in Singapore.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2024 | 6:55 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K 2.8MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I like the JW Marriott, Fairmont, or Swissotel for excellent location with a good experience.
aster likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2024 | 5:06 am
40 Countries Visited2M10 Years on Site

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by JNelson113
I like the JW Marriott, Fairmont, or Swissotel for excellent location with a good experience.
All are ideally-located and make a perfect base from which to explore Singapore, especially with three different subway (MRT) lines nearby.

My personal favourite in terms of location (and a nice pool too) is what used to be the Swissotel Merchant Court and is now the Paradox (Merchant Court), though I haven't stayed there since they changed operators.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.