NYE Hotel Question

Old Sep 9, 2024 | 7:34 am
S.R
Original Poster
5 Years on Site

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
NYE Hotel Question

Hi all,

I've been to Singapore many times, but never for NYE. Hence the view from the room has never really mattered.
However this year I will be there with my parents, and will most likely spend NYE in the room/suite and ideally watch the fireworks from there.

So I am currently between the Swissotel the stamford, and the JW Marriott South Beach. Both have Marina Bay view rooms, but does anyone know which of these would be the best option to see the fireworks from our room?
Or any other better hotel view suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2024 | 12:44 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by S.R
Hi all,

I've been to Singapore many times, but never for NYE. Hence the view from the room has never really mattered.
However this year I will be there with my parents, and will most likely spend NYE in the room/suite and ideally watch the fireworks from there.

So I am currently between the Swissotel the stamford, and the JW Marriott South Beach. Both have Marina Bay view rooms, but does anyone know which of these would be the best option to see the fireworks from our room?
Or any other better hotel view suggestions?

Thanks!
I think you need to ask the hotel directly to make sure they book you in a room that overlooks Marina Bay which is where the fireworks are. Both hotels have rooms that you can see the fireworks but I would hazard a guess to say that Swissotel / Fairmont has a greater portion of rooms that you can see fireworks.
For the same area, you could also look at Marina Bay Sands hotel.

Or you could watch it from the area surrounding Marina Bay - it's definitely more busy, but it would be free (excluding transport to get there). Public transport is efficient and cheap (and operates extended hours on NYE) so you could just hop on the MRT. For example, you could have access to Blue, Yellow, Red and Green Lines.
Old Sep 10, 2024 | 8:23 am
15 Years on Site

Another hotel in the area is Fullerton Bay hotel
Old Sep 10, 2024 | 10:27 am
Moderator: Hyatt, American Express; FlyerTalk Evangelist
5 Years on Site

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, AA EXP, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Mlife Noir (=> Marriott Amb), invol FT beta tester
I was in Singapore for New Year's this year (i.e. 31 Dec 2023) and decided to pony up for the Singapore Flyer experience -- arguably overpaying for the experience, but it was a fun time and had good views.

Be forewarned however...

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Or you could watch it from the area surrounding Marina Bay - it's definitely more busy, but it would be free (excluding transport to get there). Public transport is efficient and cheap (and operates extended hours on NYE) so you could just hop on the MRT. For example, you could have access to Blue, Yellow, Red and Green Lines.
... after everything was concluded, I tried walking back towards my hotel, but some roads were closed/fenced off from pedestrian access, so I gave up and went for MRT. And while above-ground/inside the station was well organized with extra tensabarriers forming lines and extra staff on hand to direct traffic, once we got onto the platform, it was utter and complete chaos. Everyone jammed in like sardines, each train would arrive already full, the closest 3-6 people would try to squish their way on, I heard urgent pleas of "please stop squeezing, there is no more room!" etc. So if you plan on taking MRT, be sure to pack your patience and maybe plan to stay up a while longer to wait for crowds to subside first.
Old Sep 15, 2024 | 4:30 am
40 Countries Visited2M10 Years on Site

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I would hazard a guess to say that Swissotel / Fairmont has a greater portion of rooms that you can see fireworks.
This is a tough one as due to the Swissotel's curved structure it's hard to say which rooms qualify for a Marina Bay view and which don't. There obviously needs to be a cut-off point somewhere, but just how far will they go with treating a side-view of the bay as one of those rooms? I don't think anyone would want to be standing with their face pressed against the window to get a glimpse of the fireworks display.

With the Marriott I would assume that the entire SW and SE-facing walls will be marketed as rooms with a Marina Bay view?

Ideally you'd want to be in the Mandarin Oriental or the Ritz-Carlton but at the end of the day if the sole purpose of your stay isn't the fireworks display then the location of the Swissotel/Marriott would be better.
Old Sep 19, 2024 | 8:35 am
10 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
MBS (not the Saudi prince) is usually the focal point of Marina Bay. I wouldn't want to be in it for an occasion like this.
Old Sep 20, 2024 | 5:12 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by italdesign
I wouldn't want to be in it for an occasion like this.
I don't like its location to be honest but I think it's a hotel that's worth doing at least once just to tick it off the list. Especially if you have time to check out the swimming pool up top. Another plus is that their rooms are very spacious.

But as you mentioned, NYE would make that location very crowded, but if the OP and his family want to enjoy it from the comfort of their hotel rooms then you'd certainly get a good view from there (provided you have bay and not sea views).
Old Sep 20, 2024 | 5:09 pm
10 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I was mainly thinking it'd be a shame to not have MBS in my NYE firework photos. I'd want to be on the opposite side with a view of it.
Old Sep 20, 2024 | 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
I was mainly thinking it'd be a shame to not have MBS in my NYE firework photos. I'd want to be on the opposite side with a view of it.
Good point. This has me wondering about the Swissotel and what options are available - especially for hotel guests - on the top three floors where there are bars/restaurants? Maybe a stay there coupled with a reservation up top would make for a great NYE experience.
Old Sep 22, 2024 | 5:51 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Another hotel in the area is Fullerton Bay hotel
This is also a good choice. The Fullerton Bay's Lantern Bar is an open air venue with has views across the Bay. You don't even need to stay at the hotel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.