Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Southwest cards & 24-month rule

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2016 | 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Chase Southwest cards & 24-month rule

So, looking to apply for both the Plus and Premier cards soon to secure the 50K for each and on my way to a 2017/2018 companion pass once I complete my spend in January.

I just noticed that it says I must not have received a cardmember bonus for each of these in the past 24 months. As I completed this same cycle at the end of 2014...I'm just not confident that I have waited the full 24 months (it might be like 23 months?).

Does anyone have solid information that confirms I would not receive the bonus points again unless waiting the full 24 months? If so, any ideas as to how to go about finding out when I would have last received the bonus on the cards to make sure I wait long enough? Unfortunately, I don't have any of the emails from two years ago...I just checked!

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 19, 2016 | 11:32 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
20 Years on Site

Programs: WN A-list preferred, United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
So, looking to apply for both the Plus and Premier cards soon to secure the 50K for each and on my way to a 2017/2018 companion pass once I complete my spend in January.

I just noticed that it says I must not have received a cardmember bonus for each of these in the past 24 months. As I completed this same cycle at the end of 2014...I'm just not confident that I have waited the full 24 months (it might be like 23 months?).

Does anyone have solid information that confirms I would not receive the bonus points again unless waiting the full 24 months? If so, any ideas as to how to go about finding out when I would have last received the bonus on the cards to make sure I wait long enough? Unfortunately, I don't have any of the emails from two years ago...I just checked!

Thanks in advance.
23 months will not work. Check FT's Chase forum.

Southwest's Rapid Rewards staff Monday will be able to check when your bonuses posted in January 2015. Personally I'd wait until February 1 to apply.
Old Nov 19, 2016 | 12:20 pm

Does the anniversary bonus count toward 5/24? Or just the signup bonus? Because obviously the anniversary bonus hits much later than the signup bonus does. Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2016 | 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by vike16
Does the anniversary bonus count toward 5/24? Or just the signup bonus? Because obviously the anniversary bonus hits much later than the signup bonus does. Thanks!
You're getting your 24's confused.

The 24 months being discussed here is from when the last bonus was earned to when you can apply for the same card and get a new bonus. It has nothing do with being approved for the card. And thus it's not called "5/24".

5/24 is whether you will approved for a card at all, not relative to when you had that card before but relative to how many other bank cards appear on your credit report with "opened on" dates in the past 24 months. It has nothing do with whether you will get a bonus after getting a card. "5/24" is thus named because it's about 5+ newly-opened cards in the past 24 months.

Both are Chase policies that count 24 months somehow, but other than that they are completely different and separate Chase policies.

(And, of course, neither of these has anything to do with a TV show. That had to do with 24 hours, not 24 months. )
Old Nov 19, 2016 | 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You're getting your 24's confused.

The 24 months being discussed here is from when the last bonus was earned to when you can apply for the same card and get a new bonus. It has nothing do with being approved for the card. And thus it's not called "5/24".

5/24 is whether you will approved for a card at all, not relative to when you had that card before but relative to how many other bank cards appear on your credit report with "opened on" dates in the past 24 months. It has nothing do with whether you will get a bonus after getting a card. "5/24" is thus named because it's about 5+ newly-opened cards in the past 24 months.

Both are Chase policies that count 24 months somehow, but other than that they are completely different and separate Chase policies.

(And, of course, neither of these has anything to do with a TV show. That had to do with 24 hours, not 24 months. )
Lol, my bad. Let me try again. Chase says you have to wait 2 years from your last cardmember bonus. Does the anniversary bonus count as a cardmember bonus or just the signup bonus?
Old Nov 19, 2016 | 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by vike16
Lol, my bad. Let me try again. Chase says you have to wait 2 years from your last cardmember bonus. Does the anniversary bonus count as a cardmember bonus or just the signup bonus?
Just the signup bonus. Otherwise you would have to wait even longer.
Old Nov 19, 2016 | 4:04 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
20 Years on Site

Programs: WN A-list preferred, United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Just the signup bonus. Otherwise you would have to wait even longer.
Considering that they give the anniversary bonus every year (which is why they call it that!), you'd have to wait a very, very long time before it was 24 months since your last bonus.
Old Nov 19, 2016 | 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Considering that they give the anniversary bonus every year (which is why they call it that!), you'd have to wait a very, very long time before it was 24 months since your last bonus.
A maximum of 2 years after you cancelled the card.
Old Nov 20, 2016 | 8:21 am

24 month Tale

My daughter got 50k points on about 5/14/14; then she canceled the card. Approaching 24 months, she opened a new CC on 3/10/16 and spent $3k by 5/1/16, expecting an award in May. It didn’t happen. We theorized that Chase checks for awards at the closing date of each month, and this closing date was earlier in May, 2016 than it was in 2014, so she was a few days short of 24 months and didn’t qualify. There is good news here, however; she got the 50k in June, 2016.
Old Nov 20, 2016 | 9:24 am

Originally Posted by murphyjh
My daughter got 50k points on about 5/14/14; then she canceled the card. Approaching 24 months, she opened a new CC on 3/10/16 and spent $3k by 5/1/16, expecting an award in May. It didn’t happen. We theorized that Chase checks for awards at the closing date of each month, and this closing date was earlier in May, 2016 than it was in 2014, so she was a few days short of 24 months and didn’t qualify. There is good news here, however; she got the 50k in June, 2016.
So what you're saying is that, at least in some cases, Chase doesn't deny the bonus they simply delay the award.
Old Nov 21, 2016 | 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
A maximum of 2 years after you cancelled the card.
My understanding is that it has nothing to do with the date of cancel, just the deposit of the bonus after hitting the minimum spend.
Old Nov 21, 2016 | 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by johndunn2
My understanding is that it has nothing to do with the date of cancel, just the deposit of the bonus after hitting the minimum spend.
You're correct. I was commenting on how long a delay theoretically could be if the annual bonus counted.
Old Nov 21, 2016 | 4:00 pm
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat

Thanks in advance.

On the right hand side you will see "recent activity"then on the right select "view all activity" then on the top left select "previous year".

Jan 20, 2015 Car Alamo - TPA 01/11/2015 plus 1,800 points
+ 1,800 PTS
Jan 20, 2015 Car Alamo - TPA 01/11/2015 plus 600 points
+ 600 PTS
Jan 12, 2015 Credit Card Rapid Rewards Credit Card 01/10/2015
+ 52,347 PTS
Jan 5, 2015 Credit Card Rapid Rewards Credit Card 01/03/2015
+ 52,207 PTS

This will show what date the 50K posted for each card in 2015, I would wait 25 months after the 50K posted for that specific ( plus or premier) card.

Remember, you can't APPLY until the required time has passed, applying before that time and completing the spend after "24 months" has passed will still deny you the bonus.

There is also a 3rd business card which if you haven't had you could get today.

Make sure you also pass 5/24

Last edited by flyer4512; Nov 21, 2016 at 4:06 pm
Old Nov 21, 2016 | 4:15 pm
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by murphyjh
Was this the same type ( Plus, Premier, Premier Business or even Plus Business back in 2014) of Southwest card as she in 2014 ?

AFAIK you have to wait 24 months after the bonus POSTED to apply again so she would not have received the 2nd bonus for the SAME TYPE of Southwest card because she would not have been eligible to apply again until after 5/15/2016, 24 months after the bonus posted.
Old Nov 23, 2016 | 6:49 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Was this the same type ( Plus, Premier, Premier Business or even Plus Business back in 2014) of Southwest card as she in 2014 ?

AFAIK you have to wait 24 months after the bonus POSTED to apply again so she would not have received the 2nd bonus for the SAME TYPE of Southwest card because she would not have been eligible to apply again until after 5/15/2016, 24 months after the bonus posted.
The 201 cc was a Plus Personal; I'm not sure about 2016, but probably Premier Personal.

I don't think your ability to apply is affected by the 24-month window. When you apply, Chase doesn't know what awards you got and their dates on your previous, now canceled, accounts. Even if they had this information, it is not in their financial interest to turn away business. I'll beet Chase never tracks down the previous account information (and they probably don't have any award info); they just report to SW when the $2k within 3 months spending has occurred. SW checks the member number for the date of the previous award.and either grants or denies the 50k award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.