Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest testing CPs boarding together

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017 | 1:10 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
The "test" is scheduled to end tomorrow (November 8). Any results? Any chance it will be extended at least through the end of the year.

It would be great for travel around Thanksgiving and Christmas!
Old Nov 7, 2017 | 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by FCfree
It would be great for travel around Thanksgiving and Christmas!
My guess is any new policy will be implemented after the holiday travel season. No point in confusing everyone while there is some much other chaos.
SCGustafson likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2017 | 5:28 pm

I have only done it once (being based in DEN) and will get to use it tomorrow hopefully. It worked well, no problems lining up, the only slow down was the gate agent actually looked at the card and then took my wifes boarding pass. Maybe added 30 seconds to the overall process verifying the card vs boarding pass. I hope they keep it as it prevents me having to save a seat altogether.
Old Nov 10, 2017 | 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by figment7
I have only done it once (being based in DEN) and will get to use it tomorrow hopefully. It worked well, no problems lining up, the only slow down was the gate agent actually looked at the card and then took my wifes boarding pass. Maybe added 30 seconds to the overall process verifying the card vs boarding pass. I hope they keep it as it prevents me having to save a seat altogether.
You don't HAVE to save a seat. Unfortunately, getting people to be decent is apparently not going to happen.

Hopefully Southwest will see that the new benefit performs well, and implement a new policy that explicitly prohibits seat saving.

I'm fine with another person boarding in front of me. That's much better than dealing with seat-saving jerks. And of course the seat savers who are not elite can get lost.
Old Nov 10, 2017 | 10:25 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
I'm fine with another person boarding in front of me. That's much better than dealing with seat-saving jerks. And of course the seat savers who are not elite can get lost.
A distinction without a difference, no?
Old Nov 10, 2017 | 10:31 am

Programs: SW Comp Pass, Lft Gold AA, Lft DIA HHONORS, National Exec Elite
Having a companion pass, I'm in favor of this.

What I really wish they would do is let me board my minor children with me on my boarding number. As it is I have to pay for Early Bird to at least get them into A group.
Old Nov 10, 2017 | 2:06 pm
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
But how often do those people fly? If they're only flying a few times a year, or less, Southwest and Chase is probably making out pretty nicely with the various annual fees, interest revenue and other income received from the use of the cards.
Anyone paying interest is not playing the game correctly.

$168 in fees for over 100K WN points and up to two years of CP is a sweet deal.

One R/T will cost two people more than $168
Old Nov 10, 2017 | 2:10 pm
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I agree.

Assume Chase pays Southwest a discounted $0.01 per point. The bonus nets Southwest $400-600. Many of the Companion tickets would sell for less than that at WGA fares. The marginal cost of service is probably far less that that, but Southwest really only loses revenue if they would have sold out that flight, which they seldom do.

We use WN/CP for MSP/TPA/RSW and LAS. 75% of our flights are sold out and the DEN/LAS or PHX/LAS leg has been sold out every time
Old Nov 14, 2017 | 6:56 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Anyone paying interest is not playing the game correctly.
Not everyone has the necessary amount of self control to avoid that. But I think the main incentive to Chase is that 1-2% fee they charge merchants for every transaction. Customer thinks, "Oh let me use my Chase card instead of cash so I get those WN points."

I did just this yesterday for a fairly large purchase because I'm about 200 points away from renewing CP for next year.
Old Nov 14, 2017 | 11:28 am
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Marko123
Not everyone has the necessary amount of self control to avoid that. But I think the main incentive to Chase is that 1-2% fee they charge merchants for every transaction. Customer thinks, "Oh let me use my Chase card instead of cash so I get those WN points."

I did just this yesterday for a fairly large purchase because I'm about 200 points away from renewing CP for next year.
Then they are doing exactly what the banks want. I have been churning since 2005 and next dime of interest I pay will be my first.

The banks know the average person is one bad event away from paying interest and very few of us never will pay interest.

~ 20% interest is beating 1 - 2% every time

Last edited by flyer4512; Feb 1, 2018 at 3:58 pm
Old Nov 19, 2017 | 11:26 am

Just earned my companion pass yesterday. I hope I don’t have to do much “seat saving”. Not letting a companion board together is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard.

Zero butt in seat miles, btw. Combination of signup bonus, cc spend, referrals, and bonus points from southwesthotels.com, which I use extensively in place of booking.com. (Same prices most of the time, but with bonus points of 1/$ ranging up to 10k per night.). SW just isn’t a competitive option flying out of NYC.

Hopefully between the accrued points and the BOGO, it will make sense and I can use the points and the companion pass for college visits with my high school junior (soon to be senior).

Sorry if that makes some of you mad. I’m glad the opportunity exists, and I’m sure sw and chase have figured out how to profit off me.
Old Nov 19, 2017 | 11:42 am
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by FlyerJudd
Just earned my companion pass yesterday. I hope I dont have to do much seat saving. Not letting a companion board together is the most ridiculous thing Ive ever heard.

Zero butt in seat miles, btw. Combination of signup bonus, cc spend, referrals, and bonus points from southwesthotels.com, which I use extensively in place of booking.com. (Same prices most of the time, but with bonus points of 1/$ ranging up to 10k per night.). SW just isnt a competitive option flying out of NYC.

Hopefully between the accrued points and the BOGO, it will make sense and I can use the points and the companion pass for college visits with my high school junior (soon to be senior).

Sorry if that makes some of you mad. Im glad the opportunity exists, and Im sure sw and chase have figured out how to profit off me.
Despite all the talk about it here, I swear, saving a middle seat past the first few rows is a pretty painless process. Without A-List, you guys are likely to get very similar boarding numbers anyway and seat saving won't even be a thing. I haven't had any problems at all even with A-List - as long as your companion isn't among the last to board, the middle seat you're saving just isn't any more attractive than the others still available.

I don't know why you think folks might be mad about the method you used to earn it, I don't think there are all that many of us that have the CP from flying. I had the CP before I booked a single paid flight, and I've had years where I only used points or (now retired) standard awards with no paid flights. WN clearly thinks it's worthwhile or they wouldn't keep doing it. Enjoy!
Old Nov 19, 2017 | 11:50 am

Originally Posted by synergistic
Despite all the talk about it here, I swear, saving a middle seat past the first few rows is a pretty painless process. Without A-List, you guys are likely to get very similar boarding numbers anyway and seat saving won't even be a thing. I haven't had any problems at all even with A-List - as long as your companion isn't among the last to board, the middle seat you're saving just isn't any more attractive than the others still available.

I don't know why you think folks might be mad about the method you used to earn it, I don't think there are all that many of us that have the CP from flying. I had the CP before I booked a single paid flight, and I've had years where I only used points or (now retired) standard awards with no paid flights. WN clearly thinks it's worthwhile or they wouldn't keep doing it. Enjoy!
Appreciate it. Some of the other posts had me a bit perplexed.
Old Feb 1, 2018 | 2:40 pm
Original Poster
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
Bumping this thread. Has anybody seen this test materialize into a wider rollout? Upon request and showing my CP card, the GA's were kind enough to allow my CP to board with me on a pair of DAL departing flights in December but I haven't flown with CP since then.
Old Feb 1, 2018 | 3:59 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Nope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.