Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Lounge Access Question and Recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:24 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite

Friends,

I worked helped a friend to book a United Business Class award (160K) miles.

I told her she would have lounge access on this trip but when she called in for something else, she asked and was told that lounge access is only for "paid" tickets... so now she is worried. This is her 70th birthday gift to herself... so I am trying to clear everything up for her.

So, can I ask the experts... would she have lounge access as I believe she should (and - if she does - which lounge would you recommend at each airport would you recommend?)?:

ROC - IAD United Airlines
IAD - JNB South African Airways
JNB - VFA South African Airways
CPT - JNB South African Airways
JNB - ADD Ethopian Airways
ADD - CDG Ethopian Airways
CDG - YUL Air Canada
YUL - YYZ Air Canada
YYZ - ROC Air Georgian

She does not have any status.

Also, is there any way for her to get advance seat assignments on the non UA airlines?

Sorry for all the questions... Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by wharvey
Friends,

I worked with a friend to book a United Business Class award (160K) miles.

I told her she would have lounge access on this trip but when she called in for something else, she asked and was told that lounge access is only for "paid" tickets... so now she is worried. This is her 70th birthday gift to herself... so I am trying to clear everything up for her.

So, can I ask the experts... would she have lounge access (and - if she does - which lounge would you recommend at each airport would you recommend?):

JNB - CPT South African Airways
CDG - YUL Air Canada
YUL - YYZ Air Canada
YYZ - ROC Air Georgian

Also, is there any way for her to get advance seat assignments on the non UA airlines?

Lounge access in a business class lounge shouldn't make any difference for award and paid. At least not in UA lounges.

Call the individual airlines for seat assignments.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
+1.. Redemption gets everything a paid tix gets except MP perks.

For all Canadian departures she should have access to the (very good) Maple leaf lounge.. head and shoulders better than a UC

I have never been through CDG but I believe she should have access to the *A lounge there..

IAD: I think she is stuck with the UC.. *G get access to the LH Sen lounge but I don't think some one on a C/J tix does..
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
An award ticket is considered "paid" - even if you are only using miles. Perhaps the agent was thinking about a truly non-paid ticket (like an employee pass, etc.,), but I don't know the status of those for lounge access purposes. But an award ticket for these purposes is considered "paid".

At AC, I do believe at some point, certain types of upgrades were not given lounge access, but I don't know if that is true anymore.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, LH FT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Presidents Club, National Exec Elite,
Friends,

I worked helped a friend to book a United Business Class award (160K) miles.

So, can I ask the experts... would she have lounge access as I believe she should (and - if she does - which lounge would you recommend at each airport would you recommend?)?:

CDG - YUL Air Canada
YUL - YYZ Air Canada
YYZ - ROC Air Georgian

It's laid out on the United website clearly. You must be on a revenue ticket if you are on a Star Alliance partner in order to access the United Club. Above it appears that the flight is not on United International, therefore access is not permitted:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ge/access.aspx
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
With the confirmation numbers you can go onto the websites of some airlines and get assignments. Other times you'll need to call the airlines directly.

For lounges:
IAD: United Red Carpet Club
JNB: South African Airways Lounge
CPT: South African Airways Lounge
ADD: Ethiopian Airlines Business Lounge
CDG: Star Alliance Lounge
YUL + YYZ: Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
IAD-JNB is on South African so she should get lounge access to whichever lounge South African uses at IAD. It's unlikely to be the UC since that's in a different terminal - it's probably LH but she should check with SAA.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by NikolaTesla
It's laid out on the United website clearly. You must be on a revenue ticket if you are on a Star Alliance partner in order to access the United Club. Above it appears that the flight is not on United International, therefore access is not permitted:

Wrong. An award ticket is a revenue ticket. This is stated clearly on the *A website.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

This is incorrect and the agent was incorrect -- Award tickets are classified as revenue tickets. And fully qualified for *A lounge access.

Revenue ticket/customer: All customers excluding airline staff. Customers travelling on discounted fares, frequent flyer award tickets or upgrades are considered revenue customers and are included as revenue customers. Airline employees flying on free or service charge tickets, or Industry Discount (e.g., ID50. ID75, ID90) tickets are not considered revenue customers
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
IAD: I think she is stuck with the UC.. *G get access to the LH Sen lounge but I don't think some one on a C/J tix does..
Nope...there is an LH Business Lounge at IAD (the downstairs half of the club) and that's what business class on SAA uses.

As pointed out several times now, this is incorrect.

ROC - IAD United Airlines - NONE
IAD - JNB South African Airways - LH Biz Lounge
JNB - VFA South African Airways - SAA Biz Lounge
CPT - JNB South African Airways - SAA Lounge
JNB - ADD Ethopian Airways - Probably SAA; possibly contract lounge
ADD - CDG Ethopian Airways - ET Lounge
CDG - YUL Air Canada - *A Lounge
YUL - YYZ Air Canada - MLL
YYZ - ROC Air Georgian
On that last flight if there is a C cabin then definitely access to the MLL. If not then I'm not sure AC's rules about access but it might be none.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: AC
Note that AC departs from Terminal 2A at CDG, not Terminal 1. So she'll have access to the MLL there, not the *A lounge. In YYZ, although she'll be departing in Y (since there is no J on that aircraft), she should be able to get into the MLL if she shows her previous CDG-YUL-YYZ boarding passes in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.