Wiki Posts
Search

Where to Honeymoon on *points?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2003, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat; Starwood Gold
Where to Honeymoon on *points?

My little brother is getting married in August and he and the fiancé really have no preference as to where they honeymoon.

I have offered to get them first class tickets to Hawaii (or wherever AA flies) based on my AA airline miles.

However, I would also like to make arrangements for the hotel using my *points. Currently, I have about 70k *points and am adding about 2k per month.

So, all that said, what *wood property would any of you recommend for a honeymoon for approximately seven days/six nights?

Any suggestions would be appreciated - my goal is to provide a honeymoon that they will never forget (and since they are starting out in life, they can't afford) and will be full of wonderful memories.

Thank you,

Erik
Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
If you are considering Hawaii, then I would recommend Princeville on Kauai. This is a Category 5 property, which means 16,000 points/night (5 nights for 64,000) during peak times (which run through 8/21 next year).

Another option would be Sheraton Moorea in French Polynesia (with a possible side trip to the Bora Bora Nui - although if you do a search here you will see that your SPG points won'tget you too many nights in Bora Bora), which is a Category 4 property. Your roughly 80,000 points would get you 10 nights (or perhaps fewer nights with some upgrades). You can redeem AA miles (albeit more miles than Hawaii) for tickets on AirTahiti Nui to Papeete, Tahiti.

I am certain that others will chime in with other great suggestions.

[This message has been edited by cactuspete (edited Nov 13, 2003).]
Old Nov 13, 2003, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

I think anywhere in Hawaii would be great with a Heavenly Bed, Balcony, and Ocean View. Getting LEI'd in Hawaii is memorable. If you choose the right activities it could be every night.

Old Nov 14, 2003, 1:22 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Don't forget Venice....
Old Nov 14, 2003, 8:51 am
CKL

If I had to honeymoon all over again, I would want to go somewhere 'unreachable' later in life. Once they start having kids, leaving the country will seem impossible. One, because they will likely not want to spend the $ on international tickets overseas for the whole family... Two, because they won't want to take the kids out of the country.. Three, because taking the kids out of the country to someplace romantic won't sound all that romantic.. Four, because leaving the kids with a babysitter for a week+ won't be easy to do!!
I am speaking from experience here!! Tahiti with toddlers doesn't sound like much fun!

I vote for Moorea.

But whatever you do for them, you are being very generous! Good luck!
Old Nov 14, 2003, 12:34 pm

Hawaii is wonderful, however some people are beach people and some are not. If they are not they probably would rather tour a few cities in Europe. I vote for a split between Madrid and Paris.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 8:43 pm

The first property that came to mind after reading your post was Princeville on Kauai -- a suggestion someone else mentioned.

The views are breathtaking! A very romantic place indeed.

What I really wanted to say, however, was that I found your generosity outstanding. I'm sure your brother thinks the world of you.

Wishing you luck with your quest.

Old Nov 17, 2003, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC
What a great offer for the bride and groom.

Going to some of the exotic locations suggested would be great. However, don't forget to figure in the amount of time needed to get there. Spending the equivalent of 2 or 3 days flying out of a 7 honeymoon could be more than some people would find tolerable.

Also, they will be exhausted after the ceremony is over. If they have the ability to delay their departure for a couple of days they will be far more relaxed and enjoy the trip even more.

Where ever you send them, I'm sure that this will be something that they never forget.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 11:33 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CKL:

I vote for Moorea.

But whatever you do for them, you are being very generous! Good luck!
</font>
I agree. AA miles will get you on Air Tahiti (75K/125K/145K miles economy, business or first). Then there is Bora Bora or Moorea. For many this is truely a once-in-a-lifetime destination. I visited once many years ago... now I can't see myself going back at least until the kids have left the nest.

DAK
Old Nov 17, 2003, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Plat; UAL 1K, Starwood Plat
My take would be to send them somewhere where there aren't 10,000 other honeymooners. This past June my wife and I spent 10 days at the Sheraton Moorea and 5 nights in Bora Bora it seemed like 75% of the people were on their honeymoons. The location is amazing, snorkeling wonderful and facilities top notch. However, I take real exception to the attitude you get in French Polynesia from the resort staff. Per the GM in Moorea--roughly quoted--because of the lack of motivated workers on the islands we try and make due with what we have. I get the feeling they are working on it but it's an uphill battle. Food, transportation is also VERY expensive. We ate two meals a day and averaged about $150/day for the two of us. Car rental will run $80/day; bike rental $15/day and activities start at $50/150 pp per activity.

I much preferred my time at the Rayavadee (for the whole experience) in Thailand or the Four Seasons (service and spa) in Maui.

If your giving them a trip to remember send them to Thailand because once they get there it is inexpensive. Not only can they visit the Krabi province (see The Beach with Leo DiCapiro it was filmed here). They can shop in Bangkok, enjoy Rayavadee (beaches and cliffs) and learn to love the Thai people.

Seven days is short for SE Asia but could be a trip of a lifetime.

Having been to both French Polynesia and Krabi (Rayavadee) I would go Rayavadee with no hesitation!
Old Nov 19, 2003, 3:18 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
The Westin Maui & Sheraton Maui are Cat. 4 = 10K points per nite or 40K for 5 nites.

Hard 2 say with the attitude of manana extending all this year, but if the Sheraton Buganvilias of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, ever re-opens, it's a Cat. 1! at 19K points per WEEK !

If they are city/culture people, many hotels in Ireland, Germany, Belgium, etc. are Cat. 1--3.

BTW, the word 'fiance(e)' requires the double
E if female. So you've accidentally (?) called your brother gay .

------------------
Play the travel game 3 vacations into the future!
Old Nov 20, 2003, 9:57 pm

Location: Austin TX, AA Platinum for life (who will live longer, me or AAdvantage?)
Now that Rayavadee is not an option, anything else to be recommended? Not even for a honeymoon, but Best Vacation (beach/relaxation) is what I am seeking. Thanks!
Old May 30, 2004, 6:58 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Bump for new suggestions...
Old May 30, 2004, 7:32 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by couscous
Bump for new suggestions...
Tick. . tock. . . If he's getting married in August and you haven't made any plans, you may run into some trouble getting to use awards (airline)since August is still high vacation season (not to sound negative, but based on what other forums have talked about).

I would suggest splitting the time on two islands in Hawaii. Maui is very fun but Kauai really allows a person to enjoy the beauty and relax - much quieter.

Like other posters have said, your generosity is great. Please let us know what you decide to give them. Best wishes to the couple!
Old May 31, 2004, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
70k Starpoints will get you nearly two weeks in Australia at some very nice hotels. And your AA miles can get them there.

Just a thought...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.