Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Yield Management: prices cheaper last minute?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2004, 11:33 am
pmv
Original Poster

Hi All ... just curious ... is yield management for hotels the same as for many other entitities with variable pricing? Here's why I ask:

Staying in San Antonio for two nights next week. Two properties full, one (La Canterra) has availability. No government rate available though, as very few rooms other than club level available (btw.... I've ALWAYS stayed on their awesome club floor as a *wood Plat). Even their government rate is higher than allowable per diem in SA, but it's SUCH a sweet hotel (especially on the club floor) that it's worth the out-of-pocket expense.

So ... do rates get adjusted at last minute? I guess I'd think that SOME income better than NONE. Obviously I'll keep trying, otherwise I guess it's the Hilton or Marriott for me

Let me add... no matter WHAT, I'm staying a loyal *wood customer.... to (poorly) paraphrase an OLD Saturday Night Live bit: "Starwood been berry berry good to me!

Last edited by pmv; Jul 16, 2004 at 11:35 am Reason: additional thought
Old Jul 16, 2004, 11:51 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by pmv
Hi All ... just curious ... is yield management for hotels the same as for many other entitities with variable pricing? Here's why I ask:

Staying in San Antonio for two nights next week. Two properties full, one (La Canterra) has availability. No government rate available though, as very few rooms other than club level available (btw.... I've ALWAYS stayed on their awesome club floor as a *wood Plat). Even their government rate is higher than allowable per diem in SA, but it's SUCH a sweet hotel (especially on the club floor) that it's worth the out-of-pocket expense.

So ... do rates get adjusted at last minute? I guess I'd think that SOME income better than NONE. Obviously I'll keep trying, otherwise I guess it's the Hilton or Marriott for me

Let me add... no matter WHAT, I'm staying a loyal *wood customer.... to (poorly) paraphrase an OLD Saturday Night Live bit: "Starwood been berry berry good to me!
I'm thinking no on this one because something is obviously driving availability in San Antonio, at our hotels anyway, to near extinction.

By the way, I'll be at The Westin Riverwalk next Wednesday night.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jul 16, 2004, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
By the way, I'll be at The Westin Riverwalk next Wednesday night.
will you be signing autographs and posing for pictures with your loyal starwood fans?
Old Jul 16, 2004, 2:03 pm

Not anticipating that...

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
will you be signing autographs and posing for pictures with your loyal starwood fans?
But, you never know.

Actually, my mom and my youngest brother and his family are staying that night as well. The next day, they're headed to Concan, Texas for a family reunion that I can't make it to. So, the consolation prize for my mom is that I am joining them at The Westin Riverwalk because I haven't seen her in over a year.

Shhhhh! It's a surprise. My mom doesn't know yet.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jul 16, 2004, 3:14 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Most *woods I've stayed at have the lowest pricing months ahead. As the prices go up, I don't think I've seen any that drop them last minute. At least, not substantially. I've seen it go down by about $20-30 but that's about it.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 4:21 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
I've noticed that sometimes you'll see the addition of lower Internet Rates at the last minute.

(Mr. Sanders - hope you have a terrific time with your family and how cool that you'll be surprising Mom! ^ )
Old Jul 16, 2004, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sk3
I've noticed that sometimes you'll see the addition of lower Internet Rates at the last minute.

(Mr. Sanders - hope you have a terrific time with your family and how cool that you'll be surprising Mom! ^ )
There is ZERO question that IF a hotel has meaningful availability, rates will go down as the arrival date approaches.

No for vanity sake, most hotels will have a lowest rate they will go -- even though a computer would advise them to go lower.

Last edited by nologic; Jul 16, 2004 at 6:05 pm
Old Jul 22, 2004, 2:01 pm
sk3
Suspended

But, you never know.

Actually, my mom and my youngest brother and his family are staying that night as well. The next day, they're headed to Concan, Texas for a family reunion that I can't make it to. So, the consolation prize for my mom is that I am joining them at The Westin Riverwalk because I haven't seen her in over a year.

Shhhhh! It's a surprise. My mom doesn't know yet.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
So... was my Mom surprised? (And you mean she doesn't read FT?!)

I hope you all had a great time.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Same issue in Seattle

Am looking at a stay in Seattle in Late October and rates are already over $200/night [Westin, Sheraton/Towers, W] - can't imagine demand is that high - but I'll grab a room and hold it until rates drop...
Old Jul 22, 2004, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by sk3
So... was my Mom surprised? (And you mean she doesn't read FT?!)

I hope you all had a great time.
@:-) I'm pretty embarrassed by this gaff, actually.

I'm not scheduled to be there until next Wednesday - July 28th. Fortunately, neither are they.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jul 22, 2004, 3:43 pm
sk3
Suspended

@:-) I'm pretty embarrassed by this gaff, actually.

I'm not scheduled to be there until next Wednesday - July 28th. Fortunately, neither are they.
Well hopefully she won't be tipped off by any of us! Good luck on the suprise next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.