Search

Points for parking?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2004, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Question Points for parking?

We are staying at the W Lakeshore in Chicago for 5 days. Parking will be $150 for the 3 days, typical for downtown Chicago.
Can I use points to pay for this? If so, how do I go about doing it? How would they determine how many points to use?
Thanks for any insight.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 8:33 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors, Marriott Silver
I've never heard of a way to use points to pay for parking...maybe someone else has. Also on the downside, you usually don't get Starpoints for parking fees charged to your room, as they are mostly run by a 3rd party and excluded by Starwood from points.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ExpoTrac questions:
Can I use points to pay for this [parking]? If so, how do I go about doing it? How would they determine how many points to use?
Call the hotel and inquire if they offer parking as one of their "Instant Awards."

Instant Awards(SM)

Redeem your Starpoints(SM) for in-hotel indulgences, from a massage to dinner and more. Choose Instant Awards(SM) for spontaneous redemptions, so you can reward yourself at a moment's notice. Simply ask which Instant Awards are available when you check in.
If the person you talk to doesn't know or if you really want this, I'd ask to speak to the Manager, or their SPG Coordinator, or even their Revenue Manager to see if you could find out if it's an existing option or if you could negotiate an acceptable exchange rate.

Also, a call to the hotel's in-house Reservations Department or Sales and Marketing department might reveal some "parking included" package that you may not be aware of that could save you money on it at least. Sometimes such packages can be found on the web site by going to the specific hotel and dates and selecting "Promotional Rates" from the pull-down menu. But if you don't find any on the web, don't assume the hotel is not offering any. The web site does not always offer everything that is available out there.

pbiflyer responds:
on the downside, you usually don't get Starpoints for parking fees charged to your room, as they are mostly run by a 3rd party and excluded by Starwood from points.
Mostly correct. Unless your parking is built into a higher room rate such as in the case of packaged promos that include parking (as I mentioned above). A type of package rate I use often to this effect are airport area hotel's "Park 'n Fly" rates. There you actually in effect earn Starpoints for parking and usually save money to boot!
Old Jul 23, 2004, 11:35 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
You can redeem 1,500 Starpoints for $20 in hotel services as an Instant Award at any Starwood Preferred Guest participating property. It doesn't get applied to any one aspect of hotel services, but if your parking charges are billed to your room account, this would be one way to off-set the cost.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.