Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Why does SPG use so many targeted promotions. It is just Bad Customer Service.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does SPG use so many targeted promotions. It is just Bad Customer Service.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2004, 3:56 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
I have a different view that the original poster.

First, while FT is certainly growing, I believe we are still the minority of people that travel and use the airlines and hotels we discuss. Therefore, many people don't know about promotions they are not targeted for.

Second, for this specific promotion I think they did a great job. From what I can tell, if you have stayed quite a few nights this year (let's say around 40 or more), then you got the 10 nights / 2 weekends at 1-6 category hotel. Instead of the 5 nights / 1 weekend 1-4 category hotel. I think that is great! They are trying to get me to stay 10 nights before giving me 2 free weekend nights and I get to stay at cat 5 or 6 hotels. Based on the number of stays to date this year, they probably guess I will hit the 5 nights promotion pretty easily so they stretched it out to make it 10 nights before I get anything. And Starwood is correct. I am going to stay at least 10 nights this month and in fact I was planning to try some other non-FF point hotels (like the Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons) after hitting my 50 night renewal mark but I've now decided to stay more at Starwood to get additional free weekends.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by Max Power
Interesting to note, though, that I am staying at a Starwood property this week, as I write this, instead of the Hilton across the street that I usually stay at. I pick hotels entirely on the basis of how nice the individual hotel is - the frequent guest programs don't influence my choice, except when I am not familiar with any hotel in a city, then I'll usually go to a Hilton just because I have Diamond status. This particular Sheraton (the Cavalier in Calgary) is a really nice hotel, far better than the Hilton, so they'll get all my business in the future, Hilton Diamond or no Hilton Diamond. I've only been here at this hotel 5 days now, but already the I know the staff and they know me, and they treat me like I am Starwood Plutonium or whatever the Starwood top level is.

Max Power
"Cross over to the Dark Side Luke ...."
Old Aug 6, 2004, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by attorney28

Targeting sucks, unless I am targeted. You can easily silence my complaints by targeting me for every promo .
Absolutely. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.