Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

changes to cancellation period AFTER booking confirmed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2004, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D

Just wanted to throw this in for discussion.
I booked a one night stay on NYE at a Sydney property on 1/1/04 for a stay 31 dec 04.
I was checking bookings very recently and noticed that. not only had the rate changed from $A 295 with breakfast to $A525 without breakfast and a 30 day cancellation period had been applied.
I also had another booking for 2 nights which had not changed.
I called the res in bne.
They said the hotel would contact me which they did.
After reviewing my res they said that yes I would be only charged $295(big deal and it is still not changed on my internet account) but the manditory period of cancellation would apply. I challenged this but was told that that was how it was.
I also had booked a 5 night award stay at another Australian hotel in on 1st jan.
This was accepted.
Now I have received a letter saying that I will loose all the points if I cancel after 31st august.
I feel that conditions should not be applied AFTER the contract to stay has been entered into.
What are your feelings.
BtW no customer bonus was applied to the NYE drama.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 7:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
As long as you have the original e-mail confirmation or a printout of the original reservation, I think that the hotel's position is not enforceable. If you don't, I think that you're stuck with their new rules.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 7:21 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Actually, depending upon what local laws allow, a hotel may correct an error after the fact. Usually the local Innskeeper Laws that are in effect determine whether or not this can happen and I have no idea what they are in Australia.

Do they have laws in Australia? ducking

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Aug 6, 2004, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Actually, depending upon what local laws allow, a hotel may correct an error after the fact. Usually the local Innskeeper Laws that are in effect determine whether or not this can happen and I have no idea what they are in Australia.

Do they have laws in Australia? ducking
while what william says may TECHNICALLY may be true, i would be shocked (given starwood's great customer service) if starwood would go against a printed copy of the original cancellation policy.
Old Aug 7, 2004, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
Starwood CS BNE acknowledged that they have changed the rules but no leway on the Syd NYE booking.
I have a copy of the 5 day award stay saying cancel before 6pm day of arrival.
I can understand that being a cancellation of a few weeks before but 4 months is a bit of a stretch.
No William I really dont think we have adequate laws here at all.
A couple of years ago melb Westin cancelled my booking 2 weeks before the GP and gave me 4 chocolates at my other hotel(which thankfully Hyatt were able to provide-SPG could only get be a couple of second rate hotels)
It was a shame the starwood customer guarantee wasnt in then I should have got a lot of points for that one.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 9:04 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by

Do they have laws in Australia? ;) [i
ducking[/i]
Nahhh ... don't need them. We're all such nice people, everyone just along without them ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.