Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Pay Cash or Use Points - NYC hotels Labour Day Weekend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2004, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum

I am staying over the Labour Day long weekend in NYC, my second time there, doing some sightseeing, shopping, photography, and exploring the city. I will be there Sept 3-6, 3 nights. I am SPG Gold, will use the subway, not afraid to walk around different neighborhoods on foot. Flying out of LaGuardia on the last day.

I have narrowed down to these 2 Starwood hotels based on previous threads and trying to decide which one to stay and more importantly whether to use cash or points. On SPG website, it is showing:

Sheraton Russell $195 USD Prepaid Internet Rate, $223 including taxes; or 10,000 points to redeem 1 night

Sheraton Four Point Chelsea $144 USD Prepaid Internet Rate 21 days advance purchase, $165 including taxes; or 7000 points to redeem 1 night

Are the rates so attractive that I should pay cash or am I better off using my Starwood points? What are your thoughts?

While browsing the Hyatt website, me bad, I know, I saw this:
Hyatt Regency Jersey City on the Hudson, 4 star hotel, located on the other side of Hudson river connected to Midtown by Path train; $143 USD, $162 including taxes; not a member of Hyatt Gold Passport program. Hmm, seems attractive for a 4 star hotel. Should I be unfaithful and cheat on Starwood once?
Old Aug 13, 2004, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB lifetime Gold, BW Diam Sel
I hope you've also checked the promo rates (X3M, buy 2 nights and get 1 free) available here:

http://www.starwood.com/promotions/p...ory=PRGENNORES

(EDIT: I just checked some rates on the above promo and the Westin Times Square and the Sheraton NY have some deals. For example, net $159.33/night plus tax at the Westin and something a bit less than that at the Sheraton NY. The other NYC hotels may be participating too, didn't check them all yet, though I think the Russell has no rooms under that promo for that weekend.)

Anyhow, I usually value Starpoints at slightly over 2 cents (US) each, sometimes as much as 3 cents or more. It looks like the examples you cite are consistent with that range (2.2 - 2.4 cents each including room tax).

Also consider whether you need a paid stay/nights for status requalification, and that you'll earn points on the paid stay but not on the award stay (except for incidentals). Also, do you have lots of points, or relatively few? If you have relatively few, you might want to save them for a better redemption opportunity, where you can squeeze 3 or more cents of value out of each point.

I would recommend staying in Manhattan rather than outside the city.

Last edited by KathyWdrf; Aug 13, 2004 at 2:57 am
Old Aug 13, 2004, 4:07 pm

Programs: AGR Select +
I would suggest you try the Sheraton NY or Sheraton Manhattan. I recently received an e-mail advertising a $159.00 rate - I don't recall if it was date sensitive or not. Do bring your government issued picture ID - I have had to show mine at every hotel that I have stayed for the past few months.

Both Sheraton's are busy but good hotels. I also suggest that if you are going to be visiting and shopping in Manhattan, you stay there over Jersey City. It will be more convenient. I tried staying in Weehawkin, NJ a few times, but it is a bit of a hassle traveling back and forth, waiting at the train station (particularly at night). Good Luck.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Thank you for the advice. Have not decided yet but leaning towards staying one night at the Four Point and two nights at the Russell since I do have some points to burn. However, the Westin New York Time Square at $159 USD sounds pretty tempting as that hotel usually goes for $225 USD a night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.