Old Jun 6, 2024 | 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Countries Visited2M60 Nights20 Years on Site

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by IBJoel
Likes are being worked on
Post quotes unfortunately will not be coming back for the moment
Yikes! I don't like the sound of that.

(Listings of post quotes come up as a completely blank page for me, either via the bell or via "Your Notifications".
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2024 | 4:54 pm
Administrator
10 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Yikes! I don't like the sound of that.

(Listings of post quotes come up as a completely blank page for me, either via the bell or via "Your Notifications".
I don't either
Old Jun 6, 2024 | 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Countries Visited500k20 Years on Site

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post # 11)
Listings of post quotes come up as a completely blank page for me, either via the bell or via "Your Notifications".
I have never seen a list of quotes on my cell phone -- merely a number indicating the amount of new quotes.
Old Jun 6, 2024 | 8:01 pm
5 Years on Site

That's unfortunate! It'll make it harder to tell if somebody has replied.

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
I have never seen a list of quotes on my cell phone -- merely a number indicating the amount of new quotes.
On a computer clicking on it returns a page (or maybe I should say, returned a page) that lists each quote with the link to the post that contains the quote.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by cruser1; Jun 6, 2024 at 8:25 pm
Old Jun 6, 2024 | 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Countries Visited500k20 Years on Site

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
It would be nice if we could get this feature on cell phones some day. That would greatly enhance interactive participation among FlyerTalkers.
Antarius and cruser1 like this.
Old Jun 6, 2024 | 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
It would be nice if we could get this feature on cell phones some day. That would greatly enhance interactive participation among FlyerTalkers.
You can (or at least could) have the functionality on cell phones if you selected the ‘View Desktop Site’ option. Of course, the text is microscopic.
SPN Lifer and returnoftheyeti like this.
Old Jun 6, 2024 | 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited3M100 Nights20 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Why?

Why is new code being introduced that takes useful features away??

Having logged in this evening I now see a shorter menu on the upper-right side under the bell with my "New Likes Received" continuing to go up but still completely broken. Not sure why I was seeing an older menu before.

-RM
Old Jun 7, 2024 | 6:41 am
40 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by cruser1
I work in IT and was shocked by this as well. It seems night in Europe and late-evening in N America would have been the time to do this.
Taking a step back, considering that this is a service that doesn't have any SLA, then the service provider is at liberty to do what they want when it's most convenient to them.

And from their point of view doing changes when they have their full quotient of techies around to fix any fallout is probably more sensible than doing it out of hours and then have an extended period of time of sub-optimal performance due to bugs not being noticed, reported and fixed? Also if the site is "busy" from a customer point of view then any issues are more likely to be reported promptly and resolved?
Old Jun 7, 2024 | 9:12 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Why?

Why is new code being introduced that takes useful features away??
Having logged in this evening I now see a shorter menu on the upper-right side under the bell with my "New Likes Received" continuing to go up but still completely broken. Not sure why I was seeing an older menu before.
-RM
Essentially it's because we HAVE to do this update to comply with PHP 8.4. I promise it's the internet that changed, we didn't choose this
Old Jun 7, 2024 | 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Wow. That is going to massively reduce my engagement with Flyertalk since I am just not going to troll through every conversation I might have participated in in the past to see if anyone responded to one of my posts.

Also, does FT not have some sort of announcement banner or other mechanism to make people aware of changes that impact pretty much everyone? I know about this forum, but it doesn't seem likely that everyone will find this thread.

Essentially it's because we HAVE to do this update to comply with PHP 8.4. I promise it's the internet that changed, we didn't choose this
https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php

8.4 is scheduled for release in November 2024, I believe?
Old Jun 7, 2024 | 1:41 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Wow. That is going to massively reduce my engagement with Flyertalk since I am just not going to troll through every conversation I might have participated in in the past to see if anyone responded to one of my posts.

Also, does FT not have some sort of announcement banner or other mechanism to make people aware of changes that impact pretty much everyone? I know about this forum, but it doesn't seem likely that everyone will find this thread.

https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php

8.4 is scheduled for release in November 2024, I believe?
Sorry, I might have gotten the version mixed up. There's been a lot of chatter in meetings I'm invited to but don't specifically involve me about 8.4. We might be trying to switch at launch. I'm not a tech person. All I know for sure is that we switched to a new PL 3 for this version of vBulletin.

I would have announced, but again: it went smoothly on every other site and we did not expect there to be impact with the product that handles certain custom notifications. It was thought that it would strictly simplify the two competing user tagging functions.

It's always important to remember that FlyerTalk does not stand on its own. I liaise between a dozen communities and IB in my vertical, while there are about 200 total communities in the department I'm part of. Since IBobi left, we've made a considerable effort to standardize our sites in terms of products and plug-ins. Look, I get that as a community member, it can really suck. Stuff goes away and then you get new features you didn't ask for. I have sites outside of work where that's happened. On the other hand, there's a lot of custom projects in my vertical that were pursued and no longer maintainable because the people that set them up left and didn't document anything. And even if they did, that's more customization that new tech hires have to learn, which hurts productivity and even costs them jobs sometimes.
Old Jun 7, 2024 | 1:59 pm
10 Countries Visited500k5 Years on Site

IBJoel

I have been in the software world for many decades and understand undocumented items and forced changes from the core.

At least the core functionality that brought me here is still working properly.

Best of luck.

SPN Lifer cruser1

You are both great contributors to content and also pleasant to see you both here making quality suggestions. Cheers.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jun 7, 2024 at 2:58 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Jun 7, 2024 | 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
5 Years on Site

Can FT add a new quote-listing function on top of the update, then? I have minimal knowledge of PHP, but in abstract it seems like there should be some way to layer on new functionality even if the underlying platform removed something.

I think I'm already noticing a reduction in responses from others to my posts, and I'm sure I'm not responding to some things from others.
Old Jun 7, 2024 | 3:35 pm
30 Countries Visited500k

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver
Sorry, I might have gotten the version mixed up. There's been a lot of chatter in meetings I'm invited to but don't specifically involve me about 8.4. We might be trying to switch at launch. I'm not a tech person. All I know for sure is that we switched to a new PL 3 for this version of vBulletin.

I would have announced, but again: it went smoothly on every other site and we did not expect there to be impact with the product that handles certain custom notifications. It was thought that it would strictly simplify the two competing user tagging functions.

It's always important to remember that FlyerTalk does not stand on its own. I liaise between a dozen communities and IB in my vertical, while there are about 200 total communities in the department I'm part of. Since IBobi left, we've made a considerable effort to standardize our sites in terms of products and plug-ins. Look, I get that as a community member, it can really suck. Stuff goes away and then you get new features you didn't ask for. I have sites outside of work where that's happened. On the other hand, there's a lot of custom projects in my vertical that were pursued and no longer maintainable because the people that set them up left and didn't document anything. And even if they did, that's more customization that new tech hires have to learn, which hurts productivity and even costs them jobs sometimes.
Hi Joel so is the New Post Quote feature coming back soon or its gone for good?

Btw, I used to get emails about new post quotes but maybe a year or so now I havent.. I guess that feature was killed too? Not a big deal b/c I just look at the bell thing and I see a new post quote.

How I am supposed to know now if someone replied to my question with out having to open up all the threads I posted in?

Thanks for all your work but this is a huge bummer.
Old Jun 7, 2024 | 4:52 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by fumje
Can FT add a new quote-listing function on top of the update, then?
It just doesn't work that way anymore. Auto Communities has to develop/OK it and we roll it out. It's... certainly something
SPN Lifer and NJSwamplands like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.