Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Congo plane crash caused by crocodile

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Congo plane crash caused by crocodile

The plane came down despite no apparent mechanical problems during an internal flight in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

It has now emerged that the crash was caused by the concealed reptile escaping and causing a stampede in the cabin, throwing the aircraft off-balance.
More here. Rumours that the Captain told the First Officer to 'land this plane and make it snappy' are apparently untrue
Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Interesting that the lone eyewitness has apparently changed his/her story:

http://avherald.com/h?article=43015f1b

Frankly I'm not sure I'd put too much stock in either account.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Ten bucks says the movie goes straight to DVD.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Interesting that the lone eyewitness has apparently changed his/her story
From that article, the apparent cause of crash is:
According to this statement the crew had been told to land on a "reserve strip" alongside the main runway. The passengers noticed that the airplane was not heading for the runway 11/29 and began shouting, then rushed to the cockpit unbalancing the aircraft
I'm interested to know what's so bad about the reserve strip that would cause all the passengers to shout and run into the cockpit. I can understand being freaked out by a crocodile running loose, but not by landing on a different runway??
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by ludocdoc
"Crocodile(s) on a Plane"
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:32 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
The crocodile survived the crash, only to be dispatched with a blow from a machete.
Someone's getting some new shoes and maybe a purse..
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by ludocdoc
hilarious....
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by marble

I'm interested to know what's so bad about the reserve strip that would cause all the passengers to shout and run into the cockpit. I can understand being freaked out by a crocodile running loose, but not by landing on a different runway??
They may not have been aware of the existence of the reserve runway, and thus thought the plane was going to crash-land somewhere in town. But like I said upthread, I'm not too sure I'd put too much stock in either account. This is where a black-box recording would be handy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.