Community
Wiki Posts
Search

29 April 2013 - Bagram Airfield Crash

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

29 April 2013 - Bagram Airfield Crash

This is gaining news as a 744 National Air Cargo crashed but was caught on video (car dashboard camera). Unfortunately, 7 American crew members died during the crash. WARNING: Video can be disturbing to others.

I'm the type of person that is curious at the cause of air crashes (probably the engineer in me) so I wonder what happened in this case. The article suggests a stall happened with deadly consequences.

Weather may have played role in horrifying Bagram Airfield Crash
A 747 U.S. cargo plane crashed on its ascent from Bagram, Afghanistan Monday, killing all 7 American crew members aboard. The exact cause of the crash is not known, but thunderstorms were in the area.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...irfield-crash/

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=vo51Be2jL8c#!

Edit: Looks like we have names as the Associated Press confirmed those killed included pilots Brad Hasler of Trenton, Mich. and Jeremy Lipka of Brooklyn, Mich.; first officers Jamie Brokaw of Monroe, Mich. and Rinku Summan of Canton, Mich.; loadmaster Michael Sheets of Ypsilanti, Mich.; and maintenance crewman Timothy Garrett of Louisville, Ky.

RIP

Last edited by edcho; May 1, 2013 at 8:18 pm
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:46 pm

From the video it looks like whatever the aircraft was carrying came loose in the cargo hold and shifted the center of gravity causing the stall.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Saw this on the news earlier. Chilling.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
wow wow wow!
Old May 1, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Probably stalled loosing the load inside. I've read they carried 4 heavy military vehicles.
And the steep climbing requested at Bagram didn't help.
Poor crew. RIP.
Old May 1, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
Probably stalled loosing the load inside. I've read they carried 4 heavy military vehicles.
And the steep climbing requested at Bagram didn't help.
Yea, that looked like an awfully steep climb at the beginning. Who knows if a shifted load was responsible. I wonder how close to the outside of the envelope the special climb out of Bagram normally is - there may not be much margin for error.
Old May 1, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AA EXP, UA GS. Marriott Plat
4/29 - Bagram Airfield Crash

Load shift and loss of control due to CG being aft of limits appears consistent with the video.
Prayers to crew and families.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:18 am
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Truly sad. The stall is chilling, but nothing prepares you for the drop. Very sad.
Old May 3, 2013, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...quence-385338/

This article proposes likely cargo shift as well. What I find surprising is the lack of reaction by he driver except for one whispered word.

The whole thing is pretty awful. The crew would have known what was coming for a long time.
Old May 3, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
What I find surprising is the lack of reaction by he driver except for one whispered word.
Speculation the driver was active-duty military, possibly an MP with a dash cam. Might not have been the first crash he's seen .
Old May 4, 2013, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Speculation the driver was active-duty military, possibly an MP with a dash cam.
Interesting that shortly after the crash he drives closer. It might take a minute or two for missiles or munitions on the plane to get hot enough to go off. I would be driving away from that plane.

Originally Posted by Steve M
I wonder how close to the outside of the envelope the special climb out of Bagram normally is
Eight years ago (wow this war has been going on forever) I met a retired British Airways 777 pilot who told me he made a good chunk of hazardous pay by flying charter flights a couple time a year into the Iraq/Afghasnistan area. Was not allowed to say exactly which airports. Said the takeoffs and lands were steep with lots of low level turns because of possible ground fire. And then some fields had mountains, too.

What impressed me was the smart decision by the airline to hire the oldest most experienced pilots like I was talking to (the Captain Sulleys of the world) to hand fly these planes like they never get flown on the daily LHR-JFK run. A kid right out of flight school who only knows how to program the autopilot can't do it. They needed the last of the old school stick and rudder pilots.
Old May 5, 2013, 2:52 pm

WOW. Wow. I did not expect that video to be so close and at that angle. I was not aware planes could do that. Horrifying. Extra sad for me as Michigan is my home state. RIP.
Old May 5, 2013, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lyrastar
WOW. Wow. I did not expect that video to be so close and at that angle. I was not aware planes could do that. Horrifying. Extra sad for me as Michigan is my home state. RIP.
That's why pilots do weight and balance calculations. This plane is an example of what happens when the balance is badly wrong.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
That's why pilots do weight and balance calculations. This plane is an example of what happens when the balance is badly wrong.
I ride a tiny Embraer Brasilia every time I fly to get from my city to a hub and they are always moving things around for balance... I probably should not have watched this clip. Even though I know the "safety" rating or record of my Embraer is great, any time I see them moving luggage or passengers for balance I'm going to cringe a little.
Old May 6, 2013, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by lyrastar
any time I see them moving luggage or passengers for balance I'm going to cringe a little.
You have it totally backwards. If you see stuff being moved for balance, it means you have a careful concerned pilot who knows what the heck he/she is doing and who has actually checked the CG and refuses to take off until the CG is correct. Congratulations, you are on a safe plane. ^

Last edited by cblaisd; May 6, 2013 at 9:58 pm Reason: Removed OMNI/PR Travel Safety/Security comments that weren't on-topic, no matter how humorous :)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.