Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for lightweight, softsided, wheelie, hold luggage bag?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2010, 7:36 am
Original Poster

I need to replace my current softsided, wheelie hold (check-in) luggage bag and am looking for lightweight suggestions. Something that is around 28 - 30inches long would be ideal.

Any recommendations would be great.

Cheers,
Mel.b

Last edited by mel.b; Jan 30, 2010 at 8:00 am
Old Jan 30, 2010, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Eagle Creek rolling duffle with lifetime guarantee.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I love my Eagle Creek Rolling Duffel .

I retired an old Samsonite Duffel last year that finally fell apart but they no longer made. I resisted spending $250+ but I am glad I did. I only miss the top mounted strap for piggy-backing another bag but I have improvised a strap attached to the handle.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm looking at the Eagle Creek HC2 Hovercraft 30, however it doesn't appear as this particular model is stocked in either Ireland or the UK Could be expensive to send from the US.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 4:25 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Not many chances of getting cheap EC bags in the UK. I bought mine from Penrith Survival as they had the lowest price when I googled around. You may want to see if they can order the HC for you?

The only dealer listed for Eire is Great Outdoors in Dublin. Again, they may order in for you.

Otherwise, a mileage run to the US and collecting your bag from a hotel may be in order. Ebags have shipped to hotels for me before and I've collected when I arrived.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 5:19 am

Programs: UA WN Delta Hilton Gold
Just curious as to what features people have found on the Eagle Creek bags that moved them to the top of the list?

Thx.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:15 pm

Very good volume to weight ratio for the duffels. Extremely sturdy. Excellent warranty that includes airline damage. Decent design and actually colors that are a little different from the rest.

Till
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MAN Pax
Not many chances of getting cheap EC bags in the UK. I bought mine from Penrith Survival as they had the lowest price when I googled around. You may want to see if they can order the HC for you?

The only dealer listed for Eire is Great Outdoors in Dublin. Again, they may order in for you.

Otherwise, a mileage run to the US and collecting your bag from a hotel may be in order. Ebags have shipped to hotels for me before and I've collected when I arrived.

I have received a shipping quote from one US company for $250 Apparently they have to send it as 'oversized baggage'

I will contact penrithsurvial and also the Great Outdoors in Dublin. When I looked on the great outdoors website they didn't have any EC stock listed, so I don't know if they are still stocking it.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 7:50 am

luggage

I have had my Eaglecreek Load Warrior luggage for 7 years now. A few years ago somehow a large slit appeared on the side towards the bottom cause unknown. I returned the luggage and asked that they re-enforce the opposite side also and they happily did so with no charge. I have traveled pretty extensively and all the pieces still looks like new. I originally selected it because of the light weight and their guarantee.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

very well said!

Originally Posted by tfar
Very good volume to weight ratio for the duffels. Extremely sturdy. Excellent warranty that includes airline damage. Decent design and actually colors that are a little different from the rest.

Till
Till, I really appreciate what you know about baggage. I'm still shopping for my Ultimate Perfect Bag and have the EC rolling duffle on top of my list for a bag that will be checked. Love the odd lime green color. I think they call it Green Envy.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: UA WN Delta Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mel.b
I have received a shipping quote from one US company for $250 Apparently they have to send it as 'oversized baggage'

I will contact penrithsurvial and also the Great Outdoors in Dublin. When I looked on the great outdoors website they didn't have any EC stock listed, so I don't know if they are still stocking it.
I noticed that the Amazon US site has the EC ORV Trunk 30 in palm green listed for $209. Looks like the Shipping Internationally on this one is ~$100.

X
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:19 pm

I have been using a Delsey Helium Pro Rolling Duffle bag for the past 3 years. Its seen a lot of abuse and still going strong. I've taken this thing on at least 9 TATL or TPAC business trips and the only issue I've had is one zip pull broke off (easily repaired). There is a bottom and top compartment so I can separate shoes, toiletries and dirty clothes.

http://www.luggage.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=QW1210
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Xelint. However the ORV trunk 30 is a couple of kg's heavier than the hovercraft, which when you are flying budget airlines or to anywhere other than the US with its generous luggage limits that few kgs can make a difference.

I have ordered the hovercraft through the great outdoors in Dublin. They have had fantastic customer service so far - sent them an email this morning and got a reply and then a follow up phone call with more info all before midday. They are also in the process of doing an order with EC, so were able to add mine to it which means I should get it faster and the total price was 215euro.

Cheers,
Mel.b
Old Feb 2, 2010, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is not a bad price. Good shopping! Please report back on your bag when you've had time to use it.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 2:50 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by sfo1k
I have been using a Delsey Helium Pro Rolling Duffle bag for the past 3 years. Its seen a lot of abuse and still going strong. I've taken this thing on at least 9 TATL or TPAC business trips and the only issue I've had is one zip pull broke off (easily repaired). There is a bottom and top compartment so I can separate shoes, toiletries and dirty clothes.

http://www.luggage.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=QW1210
I have a similar bag and like it very much. I have really minimized my packing, so don't travel with it as frequently as I did. However, I take it when I anticipate shopping, such as in Bali or Thailand. The bottom compartment is terrific to put away the things that I will only unpack once I return home I then live out of the top.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.