eBags has finally closed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eBags has finally closed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2024, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
eBags has finally closed

eBags has finally closed their website, including their Amazon Store site. Glad I made my purchased a few months ago. I hope Samsonite (who purchased eBags) continues to sell their backpacks in the future.🙏
Old Aug 2, 2024, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I still have fond memories of this old ebags promotion:

35 points/$ eBags AAdvantage Mall
SPN Lifer and fishy21 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2024, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
I still have fond memories of this old ebags promotion:

35 points/$ eBags AAdvantage Mall
I have fond memories too. Before the pandemic they were the #1 travel site to visit for all things travel at a discounted price, expecially during the holidays. That's where I purchased all my Patagonia bags too.
SPN Lifer and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Aug 5, 2024, 8:15 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Very sad - their wheeled duffles and convertible backpacks have been my go-to travel bags for years. Unfortunately, my Mother Lode medium needs replacement, and I can't find anything as good. Eastpak is an option, but it has a useless TSA lock and nowhere to secure the Zippers with a cable tie.
Old Aug 5, 2024, 8:53 am

I had a problem with the wheels on my big bags. A wheel broke off while pulling and a wheel was missing when I picked up the bag from the carousel. Those bags are hard work without a wheel. However, they took care of me. Gave me a set of replacement wheels the first time. Replaced the whole bag the second time, though the newer bags are not as good as the old ones. I was able to use the unused wheel from the set they sent me to fix the missing wheel. I also bought one big bag at a ridiculously low price, so now I have 3 29 inch bags, one carry on and one backpack. I like them.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2024, 9:02 am
Original Poster

At least their old website has the below message about the possibility of their "Motherlode" bags coming back, but will be sold by Samsonite.

Old Aug 5, 2024, 9:39 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
At least their old website has the below message about the possibility of their "Motherlode" bags coming back, but will be sold by Samsonite.
They were a popular and innovative line of bags. I could certainly see Samsonite wanting to cash in on those who would like to purchase updated versions.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2024, 6:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
They were a popular and innovative line of bags. I could certainly see Samsonite wanting to cash in on those who would like to purchase updated versions.
I can see Samsonite buying them up so they can cash in on eBags customers but basically killing everything eBags was.

I still have some of their bags that I use for various trips. They were fantastic and I was so sad when they were acquired (even if that was inevitable it was still pretty sad to me).

chica likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2024, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
I can see Samsonite buying them up so they can cash in on eBags customers but basically killing everything eBags was.

I still have some of their bags that I use for various trips. They were fantastic and I was so sad when they were acquired (even if that was inevitable it was still pretty sad to me).
Samsonite bought eBags back in 2017, but eBags kept their separate identity. They already have customers names etc, because Samsonite would ship the orders out from Florida. I'll definitely buy a few more before something else happens. Covid took ebags under including many other luggage makers. I'm glad Tom Bihn is still hanging on.
Old Aug 13, 2024, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Hornetcoach
though the newer bags are not as good as the old ones
It saddened me when they started redesigning and reducing the quality of their bags. The original Motherlode set lasted me many years as a road warrior and had a lot of innovative features. I definitely saw the reduction of quality when buying a bigger Motherlode about 8 years later. It's unfortunate they went the cost cutting route, but that reduction of quality also lead me to purchase from other brands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.