Wiki Posts
Search

hartmann?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
hartmann?

Is hartmann considered more of a luxury item (not durable - like LV) or is it a worthy travel brand like B&R?
Considering getting one for my boss...
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:38 am

Programs: all
I would consider Hartmann a durable, well respected travel luggage. I personally use B & R and LOVE it, but know several male executives who use Hartmann or Tumi and think highly of it.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most Hartmann luggage is high quality, distinctive, durable and has an excellent warranty. I have 3 non-matched pieces and use only if I carry them on. IMO too much of a theft temptation if checked baggage. Ditto for other expensive luggage.

MisterNice
Old Aug 2, 2008, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
I have a bunch of Hartmann items and although you didn't ask this, I should point out that they are way behind when it comes to locks. Hartmann offers no pieces with TSA-approved locks.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 11:33 am

My wife and I have used Hartman luggage for years. But we've purchased ours at a near by Hartman Discount Store, and the luggage is mostly seconds (very difficult to know).
Old Aug 6, 2008, 12:02 pm

My wife and I have had several Hartmann pieces over the years--she had a rollaboard for twelve years of frequent use, and only this year did it finally have to be retired. The belting-leather bags are very durable and look better with age and some wear--but they can be heavy.

The drawback with Hartmann would be its fairly conservative, traditional designs--a lot of people who travel with Hartmann bags are going to the summer cottage, etc., not schlepping them in and out of overhead bins 100+ times a year. They will hold up to such abuse, but they run behind Tumi and maybe B&R in terms of innovation and use of new materials. (And the criticism about lack of TSA locks is valid--if you want TSA locks, bring your own.)

Hartmann bags are made in the US, in a factory in Lebanon, TN, at least for now (many of the smaller accessories are made elsewhere). If you can get to Lebanon (about 30 min east of BNA airport) and hit the factory outlet (actually next to the factory), you can get some great deals on seconds. I'm not sure about their other outlets. I don't know how much longer Hartmann will last before their production is moved overseas, though--their most recent catalog has a much smaller selection and I wonder if the bean-counters at the parent company are contemplating having the bags made in China.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 8:58 pm

Hey, BNA, Tennessee is NOT the only place on the EARTH that has a Factory Store for Hartman. As I indicated in my post above, we've purchased Hartman bags at an Outlet Mall, here in Florida.

Hartman luggage may be made at this time in Tennessee, but they do have Factory Stores in various States in the Country, Florida being one of them.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:25 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.5.0.55 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by lofly
Hey, BNA, Tennessee is NOT the only place on the EARTH that has a Factory Store for Hartman. As I indicated in my post above, we've purchased Hartman bags at an Outlet Mall, here in Florida.

Hartman luggage may be made at this time in Tennessee, but they do have Factory Stores in various States in the Country, Florida being one of them.
Good to know--how's the selection? (IIRC, none of the other outlets is near me, so I will have to stop by next time I'm in TN anyway.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.