Wiki Posts
Search

"Security Code" for LinkSys router?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2011, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

"Security Code" for LinkSys router?

When I installed my network last year, I used an old LinkSys wireless router I had on hand. It's 802.11b technology.

My main computer is wired in, and it works fine. I added a wireless card to my daughter's computer, and it works fine, too. Just detect the network and go. Both systems use XP SP3 and IE7/8.

So her friend comes over with a shiny new laptop. Windows 7 and Chrome. Spots the network right away, recognizes the SSID, and tries to connect automatically. A dialog box comes up and asks for the "security code" for the router. I have no clue what that is.

I logged onto the router and nothing anywhere said anything resembling a security code, and our other systems continue to work like before.

Questions:

1. What is the security code?
2. Is my router old enough so that it doesn't implement one?
3. Does Win7/Chrome require one even if there is none?

I googled for ways to reset the code, but when I follow the directions, the screens they mention don't appear. Is my firmware too old?

Any directions much appreciated.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Win7 most likely means the WEP (or possibly WPA) key. It's under Wireless Settings/Wireless Security or something to that effect.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yeah, I kinda remember some of that stuff when I first installed it. I had assumed it was available when I access it directly, but apparently not.

Maybe I ought to go back and re-install it (if I can find the CD ) and start over.

Or, just rip it out and put in my 802.11g router that's been just sitting there.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd put in the G.

You don't need a CD to install - just point your web browser to the router's IP. In Linksys world, it should be 192.168.0.1...I think. If not, it's 192.168.1.1. The CD's that router manufacturers provide are just for people who haven't a clue.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 7:16 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There's usually something you can do to reset the modem to factory settings, either hold the on off switch for five seconds, a hole to stick a paperclip, etc.

That should clear the code.

Going forward, I tell everybody that sets a code to write it on tape and stick it to the bottom of the router. I also put the IP address and the admin password for the router.

Since you seem to have access to the router, you can just disable security and everybody will be able to access it without a password.

Of course, that may or may not be a risk depending on your situation.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
There's usually something you can do to reset the modem to factory settings, either hold the on off switch for five seconds, a hole to stick a paperclip, etc.

That should clear the code.

Going forward, I tell everybody that sets a code to write it on tape and stick it to the bottom of the router. I also put the IP address and the admin password for the router.

Since you seem to have access to the router, you can just disable security and everybody will be able to access it without a password.

Of course, that may or may not be a risk depending on your situation.
I know, Mike, but I set everything up that I needed and the security code issue never came up. I'm wondering if XP doesn't try it but Win7 does? Who knows?

While I could reset it, if there is no entry for setting the code (and I don't see one), what good would it do me?

You can google up lots of information of retrieving and resetting the code, but when I follow the steps the entries they describe just aren't there. I can't make something appear that doesn't exist.

Hi ho. Maybe it's time to upgrade the little fellow.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I'd put in the G.

You don't need a CD to install - just point your web browser to the router's IP. In Linksys world, it should be 192.168.0.1...I think. If not, it's 192.168.1.1. The CD's that router manufacturers provide are just for people who haven't a clue.
Once I've actually needed the CD. I don't know what the situation was but the router as shipped wouldn't respond to any of the common addresses. After using the CD it had a standard address.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:17 pm

If you've never changed the BSSID from the default of "linksys," my guess is that your daughter's friend's laptop actually attempted to connect to someone else's router. I had that happen to me just a couple of weeks ago at my brother's house.

Everywhere I go I find unsecured wireless routers advertising themselves as "linksys." Comes in handy sometimes. Your daughter's friend may have actually found a neighbor of yours smart enough to secure his router but dumb (or inconsiderate) enough to leave the BSSID at the default . . .

Um, please don't take that the wrong way

PS. If you haven't changed your BSSID, do it.

Last edited by Dodge DeBoulet; Sep 14, 2011 at 10:24 pm
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Does the linksys router have WPS setup? Win7 really tries to connect using WPS thinking that wireless devices on the network will support it. But, and 802.11b router most likely doesn't
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:05 pm
In Memoriam

What model is the router? I can't imagine it's that old that it doesn't have the ability to have security on the wireless.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
WPS

Originally Posted by cordelli
What model is the router? I can't imagine it's that old that it doesn't have the ability to have security on the wireless.
If you are referring to my comment above about WPS, that is independent of wireless security WEP/WPA/WPA2 or other - which I am certain this router has at least one of regardless of age.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 6:39 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by nmenaker
If you are referring to my comment above about WPS, that is independent of wireless security WEP/WPA/WPA2 or other - which I am certain this router has at least one of regardless of age.

Nope, I'm referring to the OP's comments that no matter what they do, they can't find a screen to enter, remove, or change the security code on the router.

If we knew which router and configuration screens they were looking at we may actually be able to help a bit better.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: United MP
Is it even a router? I have an old Linksys wireless access point that might look like a router to some. To access the page to change its settings requires a different address than 192.168.1.1 of most routers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.