Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2024 | 12:52 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by frappant
Did you have any problems with tethering, like they slow things down for using too much data?

Google Fi webpage still lists iPhone as in beta.

You still have to do some workarounds to activate?
Never had any issues with tethering or hotspot. Unlimited/full speed, everything works as expected (except my corp VPN is a little wonky and needs some special config on my laptop, but that's a unique quirk of my corp VPN)

The main "workaround" is mostly just filling in the APN data during setup. It's not really a workaround but more Google doesn't want to pay Apple to distribute a carrier bundle as I understand it.

The only thing that doesn't work natively or seamlessly is Visual Voicemail (have to dial or use the app)
Old Jul 16, 2024 | 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Delta Gold
Did you have any problems with tethering, like they slow things down for using too much data?

Simply Unlimited is 5GB of hotspot data per line. It will hard stop after exceeding it. As opposed to non-hotspot data, that will just slow down to 256kb after 35GB.
Old Jul 16, 2024 | 5:26 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Polytonic
In my experience when I was there last year, mostly TIM in Rome.

I had this same experience in Rome where I'd have full signal, but no data. Kept having to restart my phone. I figured it was a local telecom issue at the time.
Mostly TIM. Sometimes Vodafone.

I didn’t do any hotspot or tethering at all and didn’t use much data.
Old Jul 17, 2024 | 11:34 am
20 Years on Site

Google Fi is great. I also have a pixel 4a5g so that probably enhances my experience vs using a non-google phone.
Love when I can access local networks as the plane lands.
Love that I don't have to worry about using Google Maps or Google Translate when traveling, or any other kind of intl data usage.
Used to have T-Mobile but then I learned that they are susceptible to hacking attempts via rogue retailers (yes, a criminal employee at a cell phone store kept changing my account and adding call forwarding to their #).
Old Jul 17, 2024 | 8:22 pm
20 Years on Site

In my experience when I was there last year, mostly TIM in Rome.

I had this same experience in Rome where I'd have full signal, but no data. Kept having to restart my phone. I figured it was a local telecom issue at the time.
We have found GoogleFi to be pretty much useless in Italy. Rome was the worst - it showed as connected but it simply did not work. Other parts of Italy worked better, but overall, it's fairly sporadic.
Old Jul 18, 2024 | 11:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Buster
We have found GoogleFi to be pretty much useless in Italy. Rome was the worst - it showed as connected but it simply did not work. Other parts of Italy worked better, but overall, it's fairly sporadic.
It’s unclear to me why it’s so bad bc Google Fi was grabbing a variety of TIM, Vodafone, and Windtre, all of which are Italy’s best/most ubiquitous cell service providers. In shops, the staff would routinely offer me the WiFi info, saying they don’t get cell service in the building. So maybe it’s just something about all the providers and not specifically google fi.
Old Jul 19, 2024 | 11:54 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited500k

Programs: United Mileage Plus
FWIW, I'm in Turin and my T-Mobile iPhone is mostly roaming on Wintre, speeds are okay.

But I bought an Orange Europe eSIM for €40 which is suppose to include 100 GB of data for my iPad and it's also getting Windtre and hitting speeds over 350 Mbps down.

Blows away the Wifi in the place where I'm staying.
Old Jul 20, 2024 | 6:23 pm
5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
It’s unclear to me why it’s so bad bc Google Fi was grabbing a variety of TIM, Vodafone, and Windtre, all of which are Italy’s best/most ubiquitous cell service providers. In shops, the staff would routinely offer me the WiFi info, saying they don’t get cell service in the building. So maybe it’s just something about all the providers and not specifically google fi.
Yeah, I had the same problem on my T-Mobile plan as well, data was just generally unreliable in Rome for me. <insert joke about trains not running on time>

FWIW, I'm in Turin and my T-Mobile iPhone is mostly roaming on Wintre, speeds are okay.

But I bought an Orange Europe eSIM for €40 which is suppose to include 100 GB of data for my iPad and it's also getting Windtre and hitting speeds over 350 Mbps down.

Blows away the Wifi in the place where I'm staying.
I imagine you're running into the 256kbps (or 512kbps) throttling on the T-Mobile plan.

Meanwhile in South Korea, I was pulling down close to 700ish on my phone via Google Fi on a moving subway which is just nuts to me.
Old Jul 20, 2024 | 9:34 pm

I imagine you're running into the 256kbps (or 512kbps) throttling on the T-Mobile plan.

No I get 5 GB of high speed roaming.
Old Jul 20, 2024 | 9:46 pm
5 Years on Site

No I get 5 GB of high speed roaming.
I can't seem to find the fine print regarding this now, but as of a few years ago, T-Mobile's idea of "high speed data" was marketing it as 512kbps instead of 256kbps. This has been my experience with other family devices roaming on a T-Mobile international data pass add-on (the $30ish one)

The only cell provider with a truly uncapped data plan with no compromises equivalent to having a local cellular plan that I've found is Google Fi.
Old Jul 20, 2024 | 9:57 pm

I am definitely getting more than 256kbps on my T-Mobile roaming.

Honestly, I think it's a mistake with my account, which isn't suppose to get high-speed roaming.

So I'm not fighting it but for me 5 GB is nothing. In a week of updating podcasts and apps, that goes away. I know wait for Wifi but hotel wifi is often so bad.

That's why I don't fret over spending $20-40 during a trip for high speed and a lot of data. It wasn't so long ago that prepaid data, you were happy with 5 GB or even 1 GB. Now, more and more the standard is over 50 GB over a month or a lot more.

Hell, I spent $30 on Wifi on my TATL flight rather than watch movies in United.
TraveltiffBrooklyn likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2024 | 6:07 am
5 Years on Site

I can't seem to find the fine print regarding this now, but as of a few years ago, T-Mobile's idea of "high speed data" was marketing it as 512kbps instead of 256kbps. This has been my experience with other family devices roaming on a T-Mobile international data pass add-on (the $30ish one)

The only cell provider with a truly uncapped data plan with no compromises equivalent to having a local cellular plan that I've found is Google Fi.
I've had T-Mobile for nearly 10 years and your reference to the 512kbps "High Speed" is the first I've heard of that download limit. Perhaps some reviewer or blogger made a false statement about it, and that's what you saw. I have 12 lines and use 4-6 of them every trip overseas, since they all get the 5Gb of the high speed advertised. I even have an iPad Mini 5 that has a voice line sim in it, and it gets the 5Gb HS data. I've been using that every trip also. I'm fairly sure high speed is dependent upon your device and which carrier you roam with, so I frequently need to switch roaming partners to find one with decent speeds and stable connectivity, especially when my location changes.

If you can locate the 512k reference you recall, please post a link for us.
Old Jul 24, 2024 | 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Recent experiences.
London - amazingly barely could connect to LTE there, was mostly on 3g. Very slow.
In Czech Republic now and flying on LTE. Both worked at least so there is that.
Old Jul 24, 2024 | 6:58 pm
30 Countries Visited500k

Programs: House MD, How I Met Your Mother...
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Recent experiences.
London - amazingly barely could connect to LTE there, was mostly on 3g. Very slow.
In Czech Republic now and flying on LTE. Both worked at least so there is that.
In London I purchased a prepaid sim card from the local carriers. 3 was borderline unusable nearly everywhere, but EE was pretty good.

Shame you can't roam with them in Europe anymore, like you used to be able to do.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2024 | 5:49 am
15 Years on Site

I used Google Fi in Venice a couple of months ago and it was totally fine. I had the same networks people did in Rome, but a totally different experience. I can’t explain the difference. I was using an iPhone 15 and an iPad 11 Pro with M1 silicon. I had a Pixel 7 that was basically used as a hotspot as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.