Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best AT&T plan(s) to call FROM US to non-North America?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best AT&T plan(s) to call FROM US to non-North America?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2022 | 5:11 am
5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by 925
10 or 12 cents is a fantastic rate for this small country. Truly great! Much thanks!

Now if only AT&T had a rate lower than $3 per minute or $0.78 per minute AFTER a $15 per month fee.
What phone are you using for your AT&T service? If you have an dual sim iPhone that is, or can be unlocked, you could put the $15 Ultra Mobile plan on one line and use it with your current AT&T plan. At least the per minute rate would be less costly, and you'd have free calling to several other countries around the world also.

If I wasn't already on a great T-Mobile plan I would seriously consider Ultra Mobile as a backup and travel carrier.
Old Jan 16, 2022 | 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Yes, the dual-sim approach works for me, as long as international dialing can be blocked on my other carrier (AT&T) so I don’t make a mistake. I will have to upgrade some of the phones to get dual sim. But they get upgraded frequently enough. And I would much rather pay UltraMobile $10-$15 per month for reasonable rates and get a second number for free, than pay AT&T $15 per month and get nothing during the months I don’t otherwise make international calls and still pay outrageous rates to my favorite country.

AT&T has an outstanding calling plan for use around the world, except this one chink in their armor.
Old Jan 16, 2022 | 8:57 am
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by 925
Yes, the dual-sim approach works for me, as long as international dialing can be blocked on my other carrier (AT&T) so I dont make a mistake.
Yes, international calling can be blocked by AT&T but it was a per line block.
Old Jan 16, 2022 | 10:57 am
5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by 925
Yes, the dual-sim approach works for me, as long as international dialing can be blocked on my other carrier (AT&T) so I dont make a mistake. I will have to upgrade some of the phones to get dual sim. But they get upgraded frequently enough. And I would much rather pay UltraMobile $10-$15 per month for reasonable rates and get a second number for free, than pay AT&T $15 per month and get nothing during the months I dont otherwise make international calls and still pay outrageous rates to my favorite country.

AT&T has an outstanding calling plan for use around the world, except this one chink in their armor.
Their approach for your needs is a little costly considering the additional $.78 a minute charge. Especially with the same flat $15 initial rate. By saving $.68 a minute, you break even at 22 minutes of calling with Ultra Mobile. I really enjoy having an additional phone number that I can use when I don't want my main line to be put on a spam list.

I don't know if the additional 2Gb of data has any value to you, but another feature of the second line is the use of IMS service for WiFi simulated calling while roaming internationally. That's another subject though.
Old Jan 18, 2022 | 8:10 am
Original Member
20 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 925
AT&T International Day Pass is GREAT for US travelers while in foreign countries.

BUT, how do you make calls FROM the US to Europe/Asia at affordable rates? $3-$5+ per minute is outrageous! That is $180-300 per HOUR!
If you have an eSIM phone and just need data (or make voice calls via apps), US Mobile plans would be cheaper than AT&T.

https://www.usmobile.com/internation...ng-phone-plans
Old Jan 18, 2022 | 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium
seawolf, thanks! I found your link interesting, and I had never heard of data-only in 154 countries before, so I did find it instructive.

But this thread is about placing voice calls from the US to countries outside of North America, and I was not looking for data-only service in 154 countries around the world.
Old Jan 18, 2022 | 12:09 pm
Original Member
20 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 925
seawolf, thanks! I found your link interesting, and I had never heard of data-only in 154 countries before, so I did find it instructive.

But this thread is about placing voice calls from the US to countries outside of North America, and I was not looking for data-only service in 154 countries around the world.
In that case, Google Voice (via computer or app) as others have mentioned.

https://voice.google.com/u/0/rates

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.