Dual eSim Travel Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dual eSim Travel Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2022, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by alexcr
This is the part I'm getting stuck on. I'm currently still in the United States, and about to depart. How do I set the US First Responder Network as my non-roaming carrier, which you mentioned needs to be done before departing?

I've combed through the Cellular settings on my iPhone 14 and am not seeing anywhere to set this, i.e. anywhere where I can select the cellular network, including no option to turn off automatic selection. (I'm using iOS 16 and Verizon, in case that's helpful.)

What am I missing?

draver
is your phone unlocked for using service from another carrier? If you do not see a Network Selection option under Settings-Cellular it probably is not. Check there or under Settings-About-Carrier Lock and see what it reports.
alexcr likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by draver
is your phone unlocked for using service from another carrier? If you do not see a Network Selection option under Settings-Cellular it probably is not. Check there or under Settings-About-Carrier Lock and see what it reports.
Under "Settings > About > Carrier Lock" it says "No SIM restrictions," which I believe means it's unlocked, right? If so, then that doesn't seem to be the issue. Hm.

draver
Old Oct 20, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
This is the part I'm getting stuck on. I'm currently still in the United States, and about to depart. How do I set the US First Responder Network as my non-roaming carrier, which you mentioned needs to be done before departing?

I've combed through the Cellular settings on my iPhone 14 and am not seeing anywhere to set this, i.e. anywhere where I can select the cellular network, including no option to turn off automatic selection. (I'm using iOS 16 and Verizon, in case that's helpful.)

What am I missing?

draver
The only thing I can think of, is that Verizon may only enable the network selection menu if you're outside the US.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by IslesFan
The only thing I can think of, is that Verizon may only enable the network selection menu if you're outside the US.
I wonder if that's it.

If so, will it not be possible to select the US First Responder Network as my non-roaming carrier? What would I do instead?
Old Oct 20, 2022, 12:01 pm

Turn OFF Auto network selection for your voice line and choose a carrier from the list that appears that is not a roaming carrier. Your #1 sim should be connected to a data carrier and #2 (Voice) will soon display “No Service”. After a minute or two that line should change to “Using Cellular Data”. That is all that is required for IMS to work properly.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
I wonder if that's it.

If so, will it not be possible to select the US First Responder Network as my non-roaming carrier? What would I do instead?
Apple iPhone - Manually Select Roaming Carrier While Traveling Internationally | Verizon

You may have to wait until you're outside the US and try to find a non-roaming partner in your first country.
alexcr likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Question

Hi, all! I've arrived in Indonesia and am trying to make sure my iOS cellular settings are correctly set up so that I can get IMS properly working.

My "Primary" eSim is Verizon. My "Travel" eSim was purchased from Airalo, and seems to be using the Singtel/Telkomsel network. It is data only. My current settings are as follows...

Cellular Data
• "Travel" eSim is selected
• "Allow Cellular Data Selection" is turned off

Default Voice Line
• "Primary" eSim is selected

Primary eSim
• "Turn On This Line" is turned on
• "Automatic Network Selection" is turned on, and it looks like the "IND TELKOMSEL" network is currently selected. I imagine I want to turn automatic network selection off? If so, it looks like my other network options would be Smartfren, 3, IND INDOSAT, IND XL, and 510 78. Any idea which one of these I should select?
• "Wi-Fi Calling on This iPhone" is turned on
• "Prefer Wi-Fi While Roaming" is turned off
• "Allow Calls on Other Devices" is turned on
• "Data Roaming" is turned on

Travel eSim
• "Automatic Network Selection" is turned on, and it looks like the "IND TELKOMSEL" network is currently selected. Do I want to leave this as is?
• "Wi-Fi Calling on This iPhone" is turned off
• "Prefer Wi-Fi While Roaming" selection is not showing up
• "Data Roaming" is turned off

What changes do I need to make to these settings in order to get IMS properly working properly working? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 27, 2022, 3:28 pm

Hi, all! I've arrived in Indonesia and am trying to make sure my iOS cellular settings are correctly set up so that I can get IMS properly working.

My "Primary" eSim is Verizon. My "Travel" eSim was purchased from Airalo, and seems to be using the Singtel/Telkomsel network. It is data only. My current settings are as follows...

Cellular Data
• "Travel" eSim is selected
• "Allow Cellular Data Selection" is turned off

Default Voice Line
• "Primary" eSim is selected

Primary eSim
• "Automatic Network Selection" is turned on, and it looks like the "IND TELKOMSEL" network is currently selected. I imagine I want to turn automatic network selection off? If so, it looks like my other network options would be Smartfren, 3, IND INDOSAT, IND XL, and 510 78. Any idea which one of these I should select?
• "Wi-Fi Calling on This iPhone" is turned on
• "Prefer Wi-Fi While Roaming" is turned off
• "Data Roaming" is turned on

Travel eSim
• "Automatic Network Selection" is turned on, and it looks like the "IND TELKOMSEL" network is currently selected. Do I want to leave this as is?
• "Wi-Fi Calling on This iPhone" is turned off
• "Prefer Wi-Fi While Roaming" selection is not showing up
• "Data Roaming" is turned off

What changes do I need to make to these settings in order to get IMS properly working properly working? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
On the verizon line, turn off Automatic Network Selection, and start trying networks, maybe 510 78? Select it,and give it a few minutes and see if it registers over IMS. Also I'd probably turn on "Prefer Wi-Fi While roaming"
Old Oct 27, 2022, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

On the verizon line, turn off Automatic Network Selection, and start trying networks, maybe 510 78? Select it,and give it a few minutes and see if it registers over IMS. Also I'd probably turn on "Prefer Wi-Fi While roaming"
Thanks! So for the Primary SIM, I turned off "Automatic Network Selection," and then selected the 510 78 network, whatever that might be. I also turned on "Prefer Wi-Fi While Roaming." After a few minutes, this is what I'm now seeing...

https://d.pr/i/wkU7vl

It appears that it's not working?

Last edited by alexcr; Oct 27, 2022 at 4:35 pm
Old Oct 27, 2022, 4:51 pm

Thanks! So for the Primary SIM, I turned off "Automatic Network Selection," and then selected the 510 78 network, whatever that might be. I also turned on "Prefer Wi-Fi While Roaming." After a few minutes, this is what I'm now seeing...

It appears that it's not working?
is your cellular data enabled the local esim? Looks like no.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

is your cellular data enabled the local esim? Looks like no.
It looks like it's turned on...

https://d.pr/i/KEIy8o

Unless I'm missing something.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 5:01 pm

Look at your status bars… no data.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Look at your status bars… no data.
But that's my "Primary (Verizon)" eSim, as indicated by "P," that's not showing a signal, right?

My "Travel (TSEL)" eSim, as indicated by "T," is showing a signal.

Here's the screenshot again...

Old Oct 27, 2022, 5:23 pm

I see signal, but no active data connection. Look at mine for example. Check your cellular data, is that local sim chosen?
Old Oct 27, 2022, 5:24 pm

Are you putting your phone on Wi-Fi to post here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.