Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on the new MacBook Pros?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2023, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
MacOS might better manage resources, but the same issue is likely to happen.
So, even in today's world decades post information revolution, I'm destined just to live with this?
Old Jan 29, 2023, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
So, even in today's world decades post information revolution, I'm destined just to live with this?
Not necessarily. I'd check with the application developers first to see if they've encountered the same issue and have a fix or workaround for it. If it's a common application in the field, you shouldn't be the only one to be experiencing the issue (regardless of platform). It could be something that just needs a bit of tweaking (eg, the resource reservations I mentioned earlier). If they haven't encountered the issue before, then it brings it up on their radar and they might research into what's causing the issue. I brought up the SQL issue because what you describe (more resources being consumed and not released until a reboot is performed) is exactly what I've encountered in previous cases. The issue might not be exactly the same, but it could be similar. If the issue is happening in your Windows VM and under MacOS, then it's likely not an OS issue so it's higher up in the structure (so application or data layers). Getting new hardware isn't likely to resolve the issue if it is one of the two layers above. It might allow you to operate longer, but it doesn't address it. I'm not saying don't get new hardware (we all love our toys) but it's not necessarily going to immediately resolve the problem.

One other thing. Reboots might seem to be a hassle (trust me, I hear complaints about it all the time...we see similar threads in this sub as well). But they're necessary (even if the issue is resolved on your end for example). They refresh system resources and also allow security updates to critical files that cannot be updated while the system is up. Doesn't matter what OS you're using. (another debate for another time). At least it's just one box. When you hit enterprise clusters, it's three or more boxes and you have to be very careful, otherwise you can corrupt data very badly.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
My current Macbook is still running legacy Intel chips because some of my professional programs would only run on the Intel based chips. Now that all the programs I require have made the transition to run on the new ARM CPUs, I could just opt for Macs moving forward without having to deal with Windows, virtual machines, or any of those hassles.
This. Unfortunately for me, I'll probably never buy a Mac again, unless and until they go back to Intel (CISC) chipsets. I'm a fan of RISC (ARM) but much of my dev work is in still in the windows space. And almost all of my customers (manufacturing) are still mostly windows shops. So I bought the most pimped out version of the last Intel MBP I could before AAPL sunsetted them. If my Mac gets too old, I'll get a Linux Intel laptop and just run windows in a VM. I'll miss some of the cool integrations like iMessage, notes, calendar, reminders, etc., but I won't mind having a fully customizable linux desktop.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HDQDD
I'll miss some of the cool integrations like iMessage, notes, calendar, reminders, etc., but I won't mind having a fully customizable linux desktop.
The above is one of the primary reasons I'd just prefer to remain in the Mac ecosystem, at least for the things I do work on. It's just so much easier to reply via iMessage on a Macbook than having to grab my phone/iPad when using a PC based computer.

Linux running VM Windows is probably a good option, if you have some legacy software that *only* runs on the Windows environment, which has been virtually the case my entire life. I'm just hoping I can just get rid of them.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 7:20 am

Just as an FYI, for those who are still debating about the M2 MBP and Mac Mini, a lot more coverage has come online as reviewers have received their units (I guess Apple doesn't like YouTube reviewers)... One of the more prolific channels has lots of good info... so thought I'd post the channel here.

https://www.youtube.com/@MaxTechOfficial
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks! The Mac Mini seems like a pretty darn good deal.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 4:02 pm

Thanks! The Mac Mini seems like a pretty darn good deal.
I think so. Likely to pick up a pro version. I need something for my home lab. Tired of asking teammates to set up stuff when I want to test scan for vulnerabilities against a Mac.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:07 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
If you need to reboot to recover, it sounds like an SQL issue...SQL has an annoying habit of not releasing system resources when it technically doesn't need them and keeps requesting new resources as time goes by. The only way to release those resources is to reboot the computer or cluster. There is a workaround for this, but depends on your app. With clusters I have worked with, the DBA would have to set ram and CPU resource reservations in the server software. You still need to reboot, but you don't run the risk of the OS crashing as often.

MacOS might better manage resources, but the same issue is likely to happen.
At my old job we fumbled testing some things on Apple Silicon because the MySQL configuration we copied over to the M1 Mac minis assumed 32GB of memory available to MySQL on machines with only 8GB of RAM total.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Error 601
At my old job we fumbled testing some things on Apple Silicon because the MySQL configuration we copied over to the M1 Mac minis assumed 32GB of memory available to MySQL on machines with only 8GB of RAM total.
Yeah, I don't think that would end well. Would probably destroy the SSD as well.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 3:53 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Yeah, I don't think that would end well. Would probably destroy the SSD as well.
Fortunately the machine ground to a near stand-still rather than swapping itself to death but we could shut it down over SSH.

That would have been an interesting conversation with Apple Enterprise Support though.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 1:33 pm

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
...eg, don't use a laptop on top of your comforter or bed. .
I use a piece of twinwall polycarb to sit my mac on... it stops your knees getting hot and the computer stays cool! it is light as a feather and fits in my bag with the computer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.