Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Oct 4, 2024 | 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited2M10 Years on Site

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
grrrrr … I thought KW had divested their 727-100s and 737-300s by 1994 … gotta go with the 727
Old Yesterday | 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
30 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
7. Here are the Carnival Air Lines scheds....

KW 500: Providenciales (PLS) 2:00p - 3:30p Miami (MIA)
Freq: Mondays and Fridays only
Service class: Y
Meal service: Snack
Equip: 727-100

Connecting to.....

KW 613: Miami (MIA) 5:20p - 7:40p Los Angeles (LAX)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Dinner
Equip: 737-400

Here's N5609.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Carn...7-51/2155695/L

The above airplane was delivered new to Northwest Orient in 1965 as N470US.

And here's N404KW.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Carn...7-4Q8/661832/L

This aircraft was delivered new to Cayman Airways in 1993 as VR-CAA.

Interesting to see nonstop transcon service operated with a 737-400. Besides MIA - LAX, Carnival also operated the 737-400 nonstop FLL - LAX.

And how about a couple of BONUS quiz questions? The year is 1978......

BONUS A: You've been invited to join good friends for a sailing excursion from Rock Sound in the Bahamas down to Providenciales in the Turks & Caicos. So you are now flying from Miami (MIA) to Rock Sound (RSD) on board a daily flight that makes one intermediate stop en route. What airline are you flying with, what is the aircraft type and where is the stop made?

BONUS B: You've now arrived in Providenciales following an excellent sail from Rock Sound. So now it's time to return to Miami. At this time, there was only one airline operating scheduled passenger service from Providenciales (PLS) to Miami (MIA). This flight operated three days a week and made two intermediate stops en route. And it was operated with a Lockheed L-188 Electra. Identify the air carrier and the two stops in the order in which they were made.

And whoa! Is that Jimmy Buffett in the old PLS terminal preparing to board this flight??
Seat 2A likes this.

Last edited by jlemon; Yesterday at 10:29 am Reason: added a nod to the late, great Mr. Buffett
Old Yesterday | 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

Please answer only one question per day so that all may participate. Thanks!

1. It's 1966 and you are on your way in first class from New York Kennedy (JFK) to Lima, Peru (LIM). Your flight operates three days a week and makes three intermediate stops en route. Identify the airline, all three stops in the order in which they will be made, and the aircraft type.

The next two quiz items both have a time line of 1978.....

4. If you wanted to fly from New York Kennedy (JFK) nonstop to Kingston, Jamaica (KIN) on board a DC-10 at this time, what airline would you call?

6. You are in Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii and need to travel to Sacramento. You've found a convenient schedule involving two airlines and a connection; however, you'll be in coach on both flights as the different aircraft types operated on each service do not have first class cabins. Your first flight is a daily one stop direct service and your second flight operates six days a week also with one intermediate stop en route. And the location of this intermediate stop made by the second flight varies depending on the specific day of the week. Three days a week it makes a stop at an airport which is different from the airport where it makes a stop the other three days of the week. Identify both airlines, the stop made by the first flight, the airport where the connection will be made, the different airports where the stop will be made by the second flight, and the different aircraft types. Western did not operate the first flight and Hughes Airwest did not operate the second flight. The first flight was not operated with a 720B and the second flight was not operated with a DC-9-30. The stop made by the first flight wasn't LAX and the connection was not made at LAS. The second flight stopped at OAK or SJC depending on the specific day of the week.
And we are still looking for answers for these....

Last edited by jlemon; Yesterday at 12:13 pm Reason: answer update
Old Yesterday | 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited2M10 Years on Site

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
6. You are in Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii and need to travel to Sacramento. You've found a convenient schedule involving two airlines and a connection; however, you'll be in coach on both flights as the different aircraft types operated on each service do not have first class cabins. Your first flight is a daily one stop direct service and your second flight operates six days a week also with one intermediate stop en route. And the location of this intermediate stop made by the second flight varies depending on the specific day of the week. ... Identify both airlines, the stop made by the first flight, the airport where the connection will be made, the different airports where the stop will be made by the second flight, and the different aircraft types.
6- let’s start with a Western Airlines 720B to Los Angeles/LAX continuing to Las Vegas/LAS; recycling a portion of the answer to a different question, the remainder of the trip is aboard a Hughes Airwest DC-9-30, with the intermediate stop being either at San Jose/SJC or Oakland/OAK
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Yesterday | 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
6- lets start with a Western Airlines 720B to Los Angeles/LAX continuing to Las Vegas/LAS; recycling a portion of the answer to a different question, the remainder of the trip is aboard a Hughes Airwest DC-9-30, with the intermediate stop being either at San Jose/SJC or Oakland/OAK
6. Western did not operate the first flight and Hughes Airwest did not operate the second flight.

The first flight was not operated with a 720B and the second flight was not operated with a DC-9-30.

The stop made by the first flight wasn't Los Angeles.

The connection was not made in Las Vegas.

However, the good news here is the stop made by the second flight was indeed Oakland or San Jose depending on the specific day of the week.

Old Yesterday | 2:25 pm
Original Member
20 Years on Site

Bonus C...AirOne which hubbed out of St. Louis to NYC/WAS/DAL/HOU (maybe)

And to the question about jet operator to South America--apparently Varig operated using a Caravelle a multi-stopper from NYC to Brazil.

::: | VARIG | ::: Sud Aviation Caravelle 1 (varig-airlines.com)

Last edited by jamiel; Yesterday at 3:01 pm
Old Yesterday | 3:27 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
40 Countries Visited5M20 Years on Site

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jamiel
Bonus C...AirOne which hubbed out of St. Louis to NYC/WAS/DAL/HOU (maybe)
Ah... back in the land of Wi-Fi.

Just curious - where is Bonus Question C? What is the actual question?

I flew Air One STL-MCI back in 1984. Very nice, for a short flight
Old Yesterday | 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Ah... back in the land of Wi-Fi.

Just curious - where is Bonus Question C? What is the actual question?

I flew Air One STL-MCI back in 1984. Very nice, for a short flight
I think you posed this one awhile back concerning U.S. based air carriers that operated all-first class or all-business class service.....

And I also think you closed this bonus question out.
Old Yesterday | 4:06 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Apologies - duplicate post. See below

Last edited by Seat 2A; Yesterday at 4:31 pm
Old Yesterday | 4:11 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you posed this one awhile back concerning U.S. based air carriers that operated all-first class or all-business class service.....

And I also think you closed this bonus question out.
I was wondering about that. And yes, Air One was mentioned early on and yep - that question was indeed closed out.

That said. There's a lot of back and forth here at the OTAQ&D - especially of late - so it definitely pays to try and read through the plethora of responses if you can.
It's easy to miss stuff. I've done it a few times myself.

BTW jamiel, while VARIG did once bring the Caravelle up to the US, I do believe that by 1966 the Caravelles were serving primarily regional routes in South America. In fact, I've since learned that VARIG retired its last Caravelle in 1964, leaving Panair do Brasil and Cruzeiro do Sul as the only Brazilian operators of the type.

So here's another bonus question to ponder...

BONUS QUESTION V: What were the three different aircraft types that VARIG employed to serve the US during the mid-1960s?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Yesterday at 5:02 pm
Old Yesterday | 5:11 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And whoa! Is that Jimmy Buffett in the old PLS terminal preparing to board this flight??
I have it on good authority that Jimmy Buffett didn't visit Providenciales in 1978, but rather in 1976.

However, his brother, Otis Buffet, who bore a striking familial resemblance to Jimmy, did visit PLS in 1978

Last edited by Seat 2A; Yesterday at 5:48 pm
Old Yesterday | 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I have it on good authority that Jimmy Buffett didn't visit Providenciales in 1978, but rather in 1976.

However, his brother, Otis Buffet, who bore a striking familial resemblance to Jimmy, did visit PLS in 1978
Dang....must have been that last round of rum drinks before getting off the catamaran.....

And probably just lucky to find the bloody airport.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.