Wiki Posts
Search

One airline's elite is another airline's trash

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Million miler
One airline's elite is another airline's trash

I am a Delta Platinum and recently I travelled to Asia via Paris connecting from Delta to Air France. Although I had pre-selected seats, Air France changed my seat with total disregard to my selection/requests on both up and down trips. This had happened to me three times during the past 6 months.
My personal opinion is that Air France (may be rightfully) gives preference to its loyal members (although the people who occupied my selected seats told me that they were not frequent flyers) or single male flyers are at the mercy of the airline agents. Funny thing was I received a check-in email just a day before the flight with the correct seating.
I also noted that boarding at Paris was a circus! Many pretended to require assistance and boarded early.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Did you select you seats via Delta's website or through airfrance.us? I've found that selecting seats through DL for and Air France operated flight will not stick. I booked an award for my family on AF using DL miles, and the seat maps don't even match up when looking at it on DL.com. When I initially booked Inselected seats on DL.com, then went to confirm on AF site. The seats did not register so I reselected them through air France. Whe I went back to DL, it still showed the old original seats and would not update.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
My signature line used to read "Skyteam: We're the kids who got picked last." AF and KE are both good examples of national airlines that still have a lot of the protected-monopoly mentality left over. They'll write so many qualifiers or exceptions on rules for free tickets (or class restrictions for paid tickets) that you wonder why you bother. They seem particularly loath to have award redemptions at decent mileage costs for routes that are still monopoly/dupoly routes.

It's not an alliance so much as it's a collection.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:03 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
well documented IT issue with ST. When travelling on a mix-carrier intin, you need to choose seats on the carriers web-site to ensure proper seat allocation. So,

JFK-CDG (DL)
CDG-WAW (AF)
WAW-AMS(KL)
AMS-YUL (KL)
YUL-JFK (DL)

Then you would need to perform seat selection on DL, AF and KL and you need to do this more than 48hrs out as usually the flight is "turned over" to the check-in airline at that point and then all bets are off. Nothing to do with protection, preference or status.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:51 am

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
Originally Posted by bankops
well documented IT issue with ST. When travelling on a mix-carrier intin, you need to choose seats on the carriers web-site to ensure proper seat allocation. So,

JFK-CDG (DL)
CDG-WAW (AF)
WAW-AMS(KL)
AMS-YUL (KL)
YUL-JFK (DL)

Then you would need to perform seat selection on DL, AF and KL and you need to do this more than 48hrs out as usually the flight is "turned over" to the check-in airline at that point and then all bets are off. Nothing to do with protection, preference or status.
Interesting.

I have a few flights booked with CX later this month. The booking shows on my QFF page. When I first booked, I selected my seats on the CX site but wasn't allowed any of the "good seats" (I'm QFF Plat, nothing with CX). That booking had the "Select seats" option on my QFF page, so I clicked the button and was able to change the seat on the first leg to a much better one but for the next 3 it came up with a "seat selection not available on this flight" error. So, I logged out and went back to the CX page, where it let me select the better seats for the reamaining legs.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bankops
well documented IT issue with ST. When travelling on a mix-carrier intin, you need to choose seats on the carriers web-site to ensure proper seat allocation.
I don't know that I'd call it an IT issue, as this is par for the course on Star Alliance and OneWorld (I believe - correct me if I'm wrong about OW), also.

If I have an itin booked through UA involving any other *A carrier, you cannot select seats for those other carriers on united.com. They do provide the confirmation numbers for the other carrier(s), so that's nice, although you still have to visit their websites to select seats.

Has happened to me on UA itins with segments on US, AC, LH, and LX.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I don't know that I'd call it an IT issue, as this is par for the course on Star Alliance and OneWorld (I believe - correct me if I'm wrong about OW), also.

If I have an itin booked through UA involving any other *A carrier, you cannot select seats for those other carriers on united.com. They do provide the confirmation numbers for the other carrier(s), so that's nice, although you still have to visit their websites to select seats.

Has happened to me on UA itins with segments on US, AC, LH, and LX.
I prefer that UA doesn't offer partner seat selection on their website given that it never seems to work between any other airlines. Better to just give the confirmation number and send you off to the other airline's website.

To do otherwise is just false hope.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Originally Posted by roknroll
Did you select you seats via Delta's website or through airfrance.us? I've found that selecting seats through DL for and Air France operated flight will not stick. I booked an award for my family on AF using DL miles, and the seat maps don't even match up when looking at it on DL.com. When I initially booked Inselected seats on DL.com, then went to confirm on AF site. The seats did not register so I reselected them through air France. Whe I went back to DL, it still showed the old original seats and would not update.
Delta website wouldn't allow me to reserve seats for the AF segment. I called the designated telephone number as selected and confirmed the seat number. There was no doubt about the seat selection, as I mentioned, I got the 24hr email check-in notification confirming the seat number.
At the AirFrance/Delta counter, the agent confirmed and agreed that I had selected a different seat but told me that "somehow" the seat got changed within the previous 24 hours and blamed Delta. Delta, in turn, blamed AirFrance.
It didn't matter to me that much in this trip but mattered a lot in an previous and in the out bound trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.