Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Cardboard boxes 'not approved' as checked baggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cardboard boxes 'not approved' as checked baggage?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015 | 2:16 pm
Suspended

Consider me an expert because of my user name

This has been going on for more than 25 years. It's even worse. The airline makes you waive liability for the box (ok) but also waive liability if anything inside the box is damaged. Of course, if you use a suitcase, they will probably question any claims for damage of contents.
Old May 11, 2015 | 2:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
You can check in cardboard boxes. Filipinos do it all the time.
Old May 11, 2015 | 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
[SIZE=1]
A little OT, but: Depending on what UA charged to check the box (and how quickly the contents were needed), it might have been cheaper to ship the box via UPS Ground or FedEx Ground.
That's almost never the case IME, and I've looked into this a number of times when traveling with equipment.
Old May 11, 2015 | 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
[SIZE=1]
A little OT, but: Depending on what UA charged to check the box (and how quickly the contents were needed), it might have been cheaper to ship the box via UPS Ground or FedEx Ground.
That's almost never the case IME, and I've looked into this a number of times when traveling with equipment.
Keep in mind that the OP's husband and son were not just checking one piece of baggage. UA charges $35 for a second checked bag, but $100 for a third checked bag on a domestic flight. UPS and FedEx rates are based on distance, as well as weight.
Old May 11, 2015 | 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
Indeed, that is UA's policy. Sometimes when coming west from the east coast, I will bring 5-7 dozen fresh bagels, and if I do not have a duffel bag, I'll put them in a box. Almost every time (ironically, except two weeks ago), I had to sign the waiver. Typically, I'll get asked what the contents are and sometimes I'll get some good responses, especially since the smell is powerful from fresh bagels!
Ok, a little OT, but when I was in YUL a few years ago, I brought back some Montreal bagels for some folks in YYZ and YVR. Was flying AC, and carried them on.

At security, one of the agents joked that I wasn't allowed to bring it through, and he would be happy to "confiscate" it. A second went on to scold me because I bought them from Fairmont (IIRC), and not from whatever his favorite place was.

As I boarded the aircraft, the FA at the door could smell them and told me the price to board was a bagel for each of the FAs. I probably should have got a cardboard box and checked them, but on second thought, wonder if they would have gotten "lost" enroute, with no comp. since they were in a cardboard box.
Old May 11, 2015 | 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Keep in mind that the OP's husband and son were not just checking one piece of baggage. UA charges $35 for a second checked bag, but $100 for a third checked bag on a domestic flight. UPS and FedEx rates are based on distance, as well as weight.
Oh, I've kept all that in mind. Just try sending something that weighs at least 20 lb (as most luggage does) by any means and paying less than the third or fourth bag rate. I found in my last field event that bringing up to five crates as checked luggage was much less expensive than even FedEx Freight.
Old May 11, 2015 | 6:09 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: none
Did you really get yelled at, or just scolded?

"Gee Wally, do you think I'm gonna get yelled at by a grownup?"
"I don't know, Beav. Sometimes grownups do goofy stuff."
Old May 11, 2015 | 10:38 pm
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA ExecPlat; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Just checked a 6-bottle cardboard wine box yesterday on AS with no issues, no liability waiver, and no confrontation. Events like this make me glad UA is no longer my primary airline.
Old May 11, 2015 | 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Just checked a 6-bottle cardboard wine box yesterday on AS with no issues, no liability waiver, and no confrontation. Events like this make me glad UA is no longer my primary airline.
From the AS website:

"Wine as checked baggage: Mileage Plan™ members departing from Eugene/Springfield (EUG), Medford (MFR), Portland (PDX) or Redmond/Bend (RDM) Pasco (PSC), Santa Rosa (STS), Walla Walla (ALW) or Yakima (YKM) airports are allowed to check one properly packaged case of wine without charge for domestic itineraries Your Mileage Plan number must be in your reservation to qualify.

Advise the Customer Service Agent when you check in so the box can be properly labeled with FRAGILE stickers. Items packaged in cardboard boxes are covered in case of loss, but are checked at your own risk for damage." (Emphasis added.)
Old May 11, 2015 | 11:29 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP
That's weird - I've transported an entire tradeshow booth in 8 checked boxes, didn't have any issue at all.
Old May 12, 2015 | 8:13 am

Originally Posted by eajusa
After seeing airlines handle luggage. I wouldn't trust checking a cardboard box.
+1
Old May 12, 2015 | 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA LT PLT; QRPC PLT/OW EMD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by airchick
We have checked boxes before ....
... cardboard boxes are no longer approved as shipping containers and the airline will not cover loss or damage.
OK, you've done it before; but the policy has changed and they are no longer acceptable. And the problem is....? Is UA (or any airline) not permitted to change its policy?

I'm sure the fallback response is a security concern (TSA inspection time).
What makes you so sure? Did anyone tell you that? Maybe UA felt that cardboard boxes were generating too many damage claims and decided that they were not sturdy enough.
Old Oct 1, 2018 | 10:57 pm

Boxes

I'm coming back to Brazil - Sao Paulo 11/27 after two exchange rings in the USA I would like to dispatch two 18x18x24 cardboard boxes with shoes and clothes only.
Old Oct 2, 2018 | 12:56 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Andresa.

We ask members to not cross-post across multiple fora nor bump older threads, as information may be outdated. Please follow the discussion in the thread you posted in the AA forum, where you have already received an answer. Thanks! /Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.