Wiki Posts
Search

Swapping seats across different classes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2015 | 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+
Swapping seats across different classes

I may be making a booking for 1 biz seat (using miles) and 1 economy seat (using cash) for a couple flying on the same flight, and getting them adjacent seats (aisle seats in the frontmost Y and backmost C).

Due to mileage accrual reasons, I would like the cash Y ticket to be purchased for the person who is supposed to be seating in C. (The other person not having any relevant FF program.)

Does anyone have experience with how airlines respond to people swapping seats across classes?
Old Oct 2, 2015 | 6:01 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
One time switch, no problem. Constantly going back & forth, the FAs will probably put a stop to it.
Old Oct 2, 2015 | 7:21 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Depends on the airline, they might or might not enforce pax to seat arrangement.

I suggest you ask the FA nicely if you can do this once during the flight. But don't kick up a fuss if they say no.
Old Oct 2, 2015 | 7:34 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
IME it's no problem for people to switch seats/cabins at boarding. You can always use the "I'm letting my spouse take the FC seat" and that seems to always be OK. Switching during the flight is another matter; I've seen FAs refuse to allow it.
Old Oct 2, 2015 | 8:46 am
Suspended
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Nobody can answer this until you supply the air carrier and route.

Strictly enforced, each passenger sits in their ticketed cabin and does not move from that cabin. Whether a swap for the entire flight, part of the flight or a "visit" is permitted, will depend on the route, the carrier and the mood of the relevant cabin crew.
Old Oct 2, 2015 | 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
40 Countries Visited60 Nights5M15 Years on Site

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Be careful about doing this if one of the passengers is a child (up through age 15) unless you are willing to pay the UM fee. At least some airlines insist that the child and adult be ticketed and seated in the same cabin.
Old Oct 4, 2015 | 4:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If you make it clear at the outset that you are volunteering your C seat for the Y pax, it should be fine for most airlines. Doing the dance back and forth is a no-go on any decent airline, so whether you are in the last row and first row, or at opposite ends of the airplane, is pretty much irrelevant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.