Seatmate cleaned MY seat!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seatmate cleaned MY seat!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Every so often I'm seated next to a wiper. Usually I just chuckle silently and get on with my life. Once or twice it has become a concern when the wiper is using wipes with a very strong odor. Thankfully those wipers weren't the "reapply ever 30 minutes" subtype, otherwise I may have started feeling ill from the fumes.
MSPeconomist and WestCoastPDX like this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
I guess an old lady having the audacity to wipe down a seat and tray without permission would be a huge thing for some types of people.
stmaus likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
OP here. An interesting discussion has developed.

Let me clarify a few points:

- I just found it odd that she would do something in my personal space without asking.
- If she asked, I would have likely given a polite "no." I am not a germaphobe - I don't spend a second of my day thinking about the germs around me.
- I left out the dialogue between she and her husband after they were seated. She is clearly a germaphobe and spoke about germs everywhere (the bank, the supermarket, the post office, on and on); she wasn't in "grandma mode."
- The only thing I was slightly worried about was whether the dampness of the wipe would somehow stain my clothes, which is why I waited a few seconds to sit. When I did, the husband said to me, "Makes you feel all wet, doesn't it?" That got me slightly more worried about stains.

Another personal point: I do have a bit of social anxiety about inconveniencing others. Standing in the aisle while she cleaned meant I was keeping fellow passengers from moving up the aisle.

Enjoy your day, everyone!
FlyerEC and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by CopperSteve; Feb 12, 2020 at 6:33 am Reason: Additional context
Old Feb 12, 2020, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
I personally hate the idea of others imparting their will on me.

She can clean her seat all she wants, but why does she have to touch others? It’s super weird to me.

I don’t want a stranger wiping a wet rag where I'm
going to sit for 10 hours. No thanks.

What happened to live and let live?
Just because a lot of people are scared of germs doesn’t mean all of us are. I don’t need someone wiping down everything I touch in life.
What if the cleaning crew actually did what pretty much everyone would like them to do, namely properly clean the airplane at every opportunity. Isn't that also a stranger wiping a wet rag on a seat you'll be sitting in for 10 hours? How is that super weird? Would you complain to Oscar that you'd prefer the seat/aircraft uncleaned so that you can build up your immune system?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What if the cleaning crew actually did what pretty much everyone would like them to do, namely properly clean the airplane at every opportunity. Isn't that also a stranger wiping a wet rag on a seat you'll be sitting in for 10 hours? How is that super weird? Would you complain to Oscar that you'd prefer the seat/aircraft uncleaned so that you can build up your immune system?
The cleaning crew were hired by the airline, is getting paid for the task and cleans the entire aircraft unlike the germaphobe sitting in your row who wants to impose the result his/her minor mental disorder on everyone nearby.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Badenoch
The cleaning crew were hired by the airline, is getting paid for the task and cleans the entire aircraft unlike the germaphobe sitting in your row who wants to impose the result his/her minor mental disorder on everyone nearby.
Except we all know that the cleaning crew does virtually nothing except a minor 'dusting' and crossing of seatbelts. Calling this a minor mental disorder is a bit much.
GUWonder and cmd320 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Badenoch
They don't clean the entire aircraft - they pick things off the floor, empty the lavatory trash and wipe down the lav counter/floor, check the odd seat pocket for dirty diapers and trash, and cross seatbelts do indicate a "job well done" - the aircraft is far, far from being clean, and not even close to being disinfected.
GUWonder and allansoc like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: British Airways, Travel, Tourism, 747 and A380 enthusiast
I always wipe down the major areas around my seat, most of these aircrafts hardly ever get a proper clean, talk less of being disinfected and some passengers habits leave a lot to be desired. better to be safe than sorry, but I wouldn't dream of going beyond my immediate area.
CopperSteve likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA
The number of times I've seen people using the lavatories in their socks, returning to their seats and tucking their feet under their butts? For this and other reasons I wipe down my seat before every flight. I would have thanked her for her kindness and saving me the effort!!
allansoc likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 6:17 pm

Programs: HAL Platinum, JetBlue, KrisFlyer, NWA, USAirways, Alaska Air
WestCoastPDX
Perhaps you didn't see this thread that's posted on imgur - https://imgur.com/gallery/Lvqf6v5
Or read this data - https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...rms/index.html

And, actually, I use Briotech spray, which is nontoxic and isn't about disinfecting the entire world. But you do you. It's not being germophobic, its being practical. If I am sick, I'm essentially unemployed. As I'm paid by my clients to actually perform when I get to my destination (I'm a speaker and trainer) I can't really afford to be so cavalier as you when it comes to simply accepting dirt from others. And I refuse to take unnecessary chances that might result in me having a fever or worse when I arrive.

and oooooooh, a little testy are we?
don't tell others what to do, and don't use your beliefs to force me to do things I don't want to do.
I didn't tell YOU what to do nor did I force you to do anything, sweetheart. I merely suggested, given what goes on out there, being a little mindful about the area around you is just a good idea. It's what adults do.
gungadin likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by BSpeaker
And, actually, I use Briotech spray, which is nontoxic and isn't about disinfecting the entire world. But you do you. It's not being germophobic, its being practical. If I am sick, I'm essentially unemployed. As I'm paid by my clients to actually perform when I get to my destination (I'm a speaker and trainer) I can't really afford to be so cavalier as you when it comes to simply accepting dirt from others. And I refuse to take unnecessary chances that might result in me having a fever or worse when I arrive.

and oooooooh, a little testy are we? I didn't tell YOU what to do nor did I force you to do anything, sweetheart. I merely suggested, given what goes on out there, being a little mindful about the area around you is just a good idea. It's what adults do.
What you did do however when your offer of a wet nap was declined was told the person who refused that you'd once seen a diaper being changed on a tray (post #43 .)

I'll judge whether my seat, tray, IFE, seat belt, etc. are adequately clean. If you decide to spray yours with hypochlorous acid please keep it to your seat and should you offer to share please respect my polite refusal without making any smartass remarks. My proven and robust constitution have not let me down yet and I do not quake in fear at the prospect of a germ or two.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:15 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Time to lock this up
Obscure2K
Delta Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.