Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

where to buy bullet train tickets for Japan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2004, 5:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA

I need to travel from Tokyo to Kyoto and then from Kyoto to NRT. Anyone know where I can buy tickets for the bullet train on the net and also how I should get from Kyoto to NRT and how much time to allow?

Thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2004, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
http://www.japanrail.com
Old Jul 21, 2004, 8:03 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please note that most times there is no real need to make advance reservations for Shinkansen. The main exception is if you intend to travel during holiday periods in Japan (generally speaking, the first week of the year, the first week in May, and the middle of August). There are roughly 10 trains an hour in each direction between Tokyo and Kyoto from 6 am to about 9pm.

At the time you buy your ticket to Kyoto, you can buy your return Kyoto-Tokyo-Narita. The Tokyo-Narita leg is a limited express that runs every 30 minutes and is considerably slower than a Shinkansen. You transfer at Tokyo station, it's a well-posted walk that can be done in 10 minutes max.

If you haven't purchased your plane tix yet, you can save about $110 by departing from KIX instead of NRT. There are frequent limited express trains from Kyoto to KIX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.