International Living e-newsletter advice?

Subscribe
Did a search and didn't find anything on this. I just got a NY Times ad-mail (I'm on their luxury travel ad list and sometimes interesting things pop up) for an International Travel e-newsletter. It's a monthly info newsletter about travel and retirement. I was wondering if FTers had experience with this newsletter. I did a little research and found that the original paper version was started in 1979. It looks intriguing and I'm thinking about subscribing, but wanted to check with you guys first. Anybody read this, subscribe to it, have any experience with it?

Thanks,
GG
Why pay for articles that are ads?
It is a very interesting publication.

Its mostly geared towards travel or becoming an expat in countries that are off the beaten track and are inexpensive to North Americans. Examples would be Central and South America, New Zealand a few years ago, etc.

The articles are interesting but really just scratch the surface.

They have a good refund policy. Its worth a try but its a tad narrow in its focus.
Quote: Why pay for articles that are ads?
I don't think the articles are ads. I received an ad from the NY Times luxury travel ad mailing list, which I signed up for, and the ad was for the International Living e-newsletter, which has articles about travel and living abroad and retirement.

GG
Quote: It is a very interesting publication.

Its mostly geared towards travel or becoming an expat in countries that are off the beaten track and are inexpensive to North Americans. Examples would be Central and South America, New Zealand a few years ago, etc.

The articles are interesting but really just scratch the surface.

They have a good refund policy. Its worth a try but its a tad narrow in its focus.
Hey, thanks, LemonThrower! I appreciate the info and review!

GG
Articles do just "scratch the surface" then lead to the if you want more info, buy this ebook or contact this company or entity for more info (that you will again need to pay for).

If money is no object and they do indeed have a good refund policy, go ahead and check them out.

I am leery of the articles in the sense that they do not give you the real low-down reality of many of the places they push (tainted by their sponsors and overlapping "interests") and that much of the info can be obtained for free.

For example, just go to escapeartist.com and get the same for free.

IL is part of the sp(A)m(GORA) publication empire who have refined the art of Internet marketing to an enviable science.

Suerte.
Quote: Articles do just "scratch the surface" then lead to the if you want more info, buy this ebook or contact this company or entity for more info (that you will again need to pay for).

If money is no object and they do indeed have a good refund policy, go ahead and check them out.

I am leery of the articles in the sense that they do not give you the real low-down reality of many of the places they push (tainted by their sponsors and overlapping "interests") and that much of the info can be obtained for free.

For example, just go to escapeartist.com and get the same for free.

IL is part of the sp(A)m(GORA) publication empire who have refined the art of Internet marketing to an enviable science.

Suerte.
Thank you! I thought from your first comment that I wasn't clear in what I was asking. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks for the link, too!

: )
GG
the other post have a valid criticism that they tend to gloss over the negative attributes and are part of Agora Publishing (which has questionable ethics at times - bombard you with emails for investment newsletters with exaggerated claims).

escapeartist.com is also very interesting and very free but is also owned by Agora.

EA is more low budget; IL is geared to a higher income audience.

The criticism that you can find the same information for free while technically true is not really valid. IL is an information source. Its all in one place. You can't really find that information in the same place as easily.

Its a good publication, just not geared towards most travelers. Its also a tad expensive but have never had a problem getting refunds from Agora for unmailed copies.

there is a free email from IL - sign up for that and see it it piques your interets. The emails don't give you all of what is in the magazine but the topics and perspective of the emails are consistent with the mag.
Quote: there is a free email from IL - sign up for that and see it it piques your interets. The emails don't give you all of what is in the magazine but the topics and perspective of the emails are consistent with the mag.
Perfect! Thanks!

: )
GG
My last comment on the matter.

IL and EA (FYI EA is not owned by AGORA but has a lot of overlapping interests with them) are good dream building materials.

I subscribed long ago to two of AGORA publications - IL and the Sovereign Individual - both only paper at the time.

There comes a point where if you actually do 'walk the walk', you quickly find out for yourself the true worth of these publications.

I still get free email newsletters from AGORA for the Sovereign Individual and The Daily Reckoning but that is the extent of the "value" I personally see from them.

Chao and YMMV.