ON THE ROAD AGAIN: To Bali and Back in a Roundabout Way

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: To Bali and Back in a Roundabout Way

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2024, 10:21 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
As a veteran reader of your reports: great as always especially your stay on Bali.
Seat 2A and wrp96 like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by deovrat
Last but not the least, I hope your surgery goes along as planned and you return back physically better than before so that the next reports see you walking through the airports on your own.
Amen!
Seat 2A likes this.
Old May 27, 2024, 4:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Seat 2A You sell yourself short on your trip report abilities. They are one of the best parts of the Flyertalk forums.

I am a former Fairbanksan and UAF grad, and travel back to the ‘Banks for work/university stuff about six times a year or so. So for me, your reports are extra fun knowing they are written by somebody who knows my home away from home so well.

One quick comment, I’ve found the AS service on SEA-FAI to be highly hit or miss. It’s great when it’s great, but the route in my experience draws a fair amount of junior crews who either aren’t up to Alaska’s normal standards or who obviously would rather not have Fairbanks on their itinerary.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old May 28, 2024, 3:15 pm

As usual, well done!

I did have a couple of comments. Having status at Choice or Best Western is not necessarily a bad thing. There was a recent thread over at Marriott about downscale guests and downscale guests. While I do have Marriott and Hilton status, and have stayed at St. Regis', JWs, etc., I've also stayed at plenty of lower end Choice and Best Western properties. Sometimes the price is right and/or the location makes sense.

I read about your frustrations regarding award flights. I've become tremendously frustrated with the costs of award trips in J and F, but also tremendously frustrated with the lack of availability. My past few trips, either to southern South America or to Europe have been in paid Economy Plus on UA. I just can't justify 6 digits for these flights especially when I don't really sleep anyway. I've been looking every week for some weeks now for space via AA to SE Asia, whether via AA, JL, QR, BA, etc. and nothing is to be found within +/- 3 days of my desired dates. (Well some availability on BA at <100K miles, but huge surcharges.) I'm tiring of these bloggers that write about finding a flight on QR from the US for <100K. I guess the bloggers have magic tricks to find those flights. Or perhaps I'll need to pay for seats.aero or EF to assist me. Or perhaps I'll have to pay for flights (I just booked NH J SE Asia-US, round trip, for $2,200 and I am considering a round trip on RJ, Europe-SE Asia, for ~$1,800.)

End of rant. Looking forward to many more reports from you and best wishes for the upcoming surgery!
Seat 2A likes this.
Old May 28, 2024, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thank you so much to all of you who have taken the time to read this report, with special thanks to those of you who have taken the time to comment afterwards. Obviously, a lot of time and effort go into creating a report of this scope, and your kind comments go a long way toward validating all of that work. Thanks also for all the best wishes for my upcoming surgery. Please allow me to address a couple of your comments here -

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
You mentioned a trip via Bangkok later in the year - let me know if you fancy a beer, I would be happy to take you out
Oh, and your post card collection is super cool! I used to collect airline memorabilia too, but I could not really bring it along when I moved to Asia.

I am planning on a couple of days layover in Bangkok this fall. I always stay at the Summit Windmill Golf Resort, which hopefully is not too far from where you live, as I would love to join you for an ice cold Singha or two.

As to collecting commercial airline paraphernalia - and this I address to all interested readers - you might want to consider a trip to Kansas City next month for the huge Airliners International convention. I've been to a few of these and they're a lot of fun - even if you attend for only a day. And should you go, save some room for some of Kansas City's famous BBQ. Here's a link -

Airliners International 2024 Kansas City

Originally Posted by LP Dad
One small (and, I suspect, rare) correction: Labrador and Newfoundland are not "provinces". Newfoundland is an island, and Labrador is a continental region; together, they form the single province of "Newfoundland and Labrador"
Thanks for the correction! It's always good to learn something new, and I look forward to a return trip to Newfoundland sooner than later

Originally Posted by cf1
Best of luck on your surgery, hope you have a speedy recovery and can get back to walking to the farthest possible gate from your connecting flight in no time.

Thanks! I look forward to walking without a cane again and indeed, walking is perhaps the best means of rehabilitation for a surgery such as mine - not to mention good exercise in general. That said, hopefully I'll have time between flights to make connections in some of the larger airports. Just last week, a friend of mine missed her connecting flight at O'Hare after arriving on American Eagle and connecting to her mainline American flight parked down at the very end of the K concourse.

Originally Posted by Chugach
I am a former Fairbanksan and UAF grad, and travel back to the ‘Banks for work/university stuff about six times a year or so. So for me, your reports are extra fun knowing they are written by somebody who knows my home away from home so well.
Originally Posted by Chugach

One quick comment, I’ve found the AS service on SEA-FAI to be highly hit or miss. It’s great when it’s great, but the route in my experience draws a fair amount of junior crews who either aren’t up to Alaska’s normal standards or who obviously would rather not have Fairbanks on their itinerary.

Happiness is leaving Fairbanks with a roundtrip ticket. And I'm downright ecstatic to return on a sunny summer evening, or even a frigid winter night. Life in Alaska's Interior is the best!

I feel like I've had pretty good overall service on the SEA-FAI route, but I hear you. It can be frustrating to get some FA who forgets the mixed nuts or worse - opts to serve them after dessert rather than with drinks. Especially during the warm summer months though, I should think an itinerary including an overnight in Fairbanks would be much desired amongst those who've been there.

Originally Posted by lamphs
While I do have Marriott and Hilton status, and have stayed at St. Regis', JWs, etc., I've also stayed at plenty of lower end Choice and Best Western properties. Sometimes the price is right and/or the location makes sense.
I have a friend who swears by JWs, but then his hotels are paid for by the corporate travel department of the company he works for.

Choice Hotels represent about twenty different brands ranging from basic Econolodges and Rodeway Inns to Radissons and their Ascend Collection. I generally won't stay at the lower end properties if I can avoid them, but I've typically found most Comfort Inn and Suites to be the perfect merging of stylish, comfortable and spacious accommodation with affordability. I've also stayed at some of the Ascend properties and have always found then quite nice - and affordable. What's often $150/nt or more at the Hiltons and JWs is about $100 at the Comfort Inns. The Hiltons and JWs do indeed come with more whistles and bells, but per my tastes are not worth the extra expense.
lamphs likes this.
Old May 28, 2024, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Feeding time in economy

Nice report! Although it's difficult for me to imagine traveling from the U.S. to visit Bali (the traffic is one reason), I'm glad you've found your spot in the south.

As for your "feeding time in economy" photo caption, if Spirit ever offered meals, I imagine it would just be a trough shoved somewhere in the aft section
Seat 2A likes this.
Old May 28, 2024, 5:14 pm

Splendid report, not many long form trip report these days and i truly enjoyed reading yours
Seat 2A likes this.
Old May 28, 2024, 7:07 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Choice Hotels represent about twenty different brands ranging from basic Econolodges and Rodeway Inns to Radissons and their Ascend Collection. I generally won't stay at the lower end properties if I can avoid them, but I've typically found most Comfort Inn and Suites to be the perfect merging of stylish, comfortable and spacious accommodation with affordability. I've also stayed at some of the Ascend properties and have always found then quite nice - and affordable. What's often $150/nt or more at the Hiltons and JWs is about $100 at the Comfort Inns. The Hiltons and JWs do indeed come with more whistles and bells, but per my tastes are not worth the extra expense.
Always great to read your literary works!

Agree on Choice Hotels.... my travel takes me to a lot of smaller places. Comfort Inn/Suites is usually about as premium as you're gonna get (maybe get lucky and get a Holiday Inn Express, but those are real hit or miss). I've found the Comfort properties (and to an extent, I've had good luck with Sleep Inns in rural America) to be very accommodating and treat elites very well. I've been able to get out of cancelation charges more than a few times when an airline like Cape Air has screwed me. Or had someone from a hotel come fetch me at the airport in clearly their own car. But that's also small town America... (I had a fun time in McCook, NE this weekend, I'd only ever passed through at about 3am on Amtrak, more fun flying there on a Fairchild Metroliner). There also seem to be a lot of newer or newly renovated Choice properties which is a plus. Phone customer service is good too, and I've noticed they often send you an email with their contact info and whatever follow up once you hang up.
Seat 2A and lamphs like this.
Old May 28, 2024, 9:57 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK GfL, BA Gold, TG *G, HH DIA, IHG Gold, Hertz PC
I am planning on a couple of days layover in Bangkok this fall. I always stay at the Summit Windmill Golf Resort, which hopefully is not too far from where you live, as I would love to join you for an ice cold Singha or two.
Sounds good! Feel free to PM me, then we can arrange something. It looks like your hotel is out by Suvarnabhumi, just past Bang Na, so around 30km from me - perfectly manageable
Seat 2A likes this.
Old May 28, 2024, 11:14 pm

Programs: QFF
Great to read one of your reports again. Really enjoyed reading this report.
I hope your surgery goes well and you are off on more exotic adventures in the future (with corresponding TRs of course!)
Seat 2A likes this.
Old May 29, 2024, 4:40 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
OMG. He's back. This will be epic once I manage to finish it all!
jamiel and Seat 2A like this.
Old May 29, 2024, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Seat 2A I hope your surgery goes well so you can continue doing everything you love (including those train rides). Hope I'll get to ride your Denali shuttle one day.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old May 29, 2024, 4:55 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
and so I ended up catching a taxi. But first, I asked at a money exchange kiosk how much they thought a taxi should cost from T3 to T2. Their answer was about 50000 Rupiah or about $3.50 USD.

Right. The first taxi driver I approached asked for 300000 Rupiah. No way. I went through three or four others before finally finding one who would settle on 100000. Deal! I don’t like bartering, but I understand it’s the way things are done in much of the Third World. I held firm though, if only because fair is fair regardless of where you are or who you are. I disagree that just because I appear to come from a wealthier country, I should pay more.

Well let me tell you, maybe that ride is worth all of 100000 IDR because it’s not like Jakarta’s International Airport Terminals are right next door to one another. It seemed like we drove a good 7-8 minutes over a variety of roads before we pulled up at door T2E, the closest entrance to the in-terminal Airport Hotel. From there I had maybe a 100 yard walk to the hotel entrance.

!
Next time take a Blue Bird meter taxi. Even with a 100% tip ( for his long wait and short fare), it should not come to
more than 50,000 IDR.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old May 30, 2024, 10:45 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Great report Seat2A - as always. It is nice, that you are still writing those report. I have given up on writing reports myself unfortunately ...
Seat 2A likes this.
Old May 30, 2024, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Thanks for writing this report. On my first trip to Bali, I pursued a bunch of nonsense - including a traffic jammed trip to a sunset where I ended up abandoning the cab and walking the rest of the way back to the hotel. The next time I went, I didn't leave the resort either. Lesson learned.
Seat 2A likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.