Reload this Page >

A Frequent Flyer’s Frivolous Foodie Foray

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Frequent Flyer’s Frivolous Foodie Foray

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2024, 7:03 pm

I see you check out the duty free shops. Up until a recent experience, I used to also, but rarely bought. I always have the pricing on my phone from the government-run liquor store. More often than not, for specialty/pricey items, the government-run liquor store is within a couple of dollars of duty-free (inclusive of the sales tax). But I was in Dublin late in 2023 and saw that there was an Irish whiskey on sale. I did a price comparison and duty-free was 1/2 of the price here in the US - like for like comparison - as in $200 vs. $400. So I made the purchase; bottle in a beautiful outer and inner box. Duty-free bag sealed, receipt attached, etc.

Arrived in US and as you know, you have to go back through security. I'm following the rules - sealed bag, purchased with in 48 (maybe its 24) hours, etc. TSA agent, very apologetic, said the bag needs to be unsealed and the bottle unpackaged because the bottle needs to go in a special scanner. OK, no problem, especially since I had plenty of time. The scanner result was inconclusive. She took the botte to 2 or three other scanners - same inconclusive result. Then I saw her talking to her manager. This can't be good. Manager came over - again very friendly, professional, and apologetic (and this is NYC). He said 'I know you followed the rules and you expected to be able to take the bottle through, but I can't let that happen'. He asked about my departure time. He suggested that I either find a FedEx or UPS store and ship it or see if UA would retrieve my checked bag and I could place it in the checked bag. I asked him if it can't get through the scanner, why would it make it in my checked bag? He was quite sure it would not be an issue.

Fortunately, UA took pity on me and sent my checked bag to baggage claim. I packed the bottle in and was able to recheck the bag with plenty of time remaining. And the bottle made it to IAD.

I mention this long story because duty-free, never again for me!

Safe travels!
Old Jul 7, 2024, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Diamond, Mucci des repas d'enfant
I did buy the Gentleman Jack today, the Heinmann member price was too good to pass.

Many moons ago I bought a bottle of JD Sinatra in the Otopeni Duty Free. Had not given a single thought to the fact that they had given it to me in a carrier bag, until, LHR T5 Transit, and off to the skip it went An expensive lesson and reminder.
Old Jul 7, 2024, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by JapesUK
How is Ginger Tom these days?
He's hanging on bravely. I don't think he's in any pain, so I let him come to me for comfort. His appetite is good, but he is rather thin and boney
wrp96 and JapesUK like this.
Old Jul 8, 2024, 12:27 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum

You should have nicked this and tried to get it onto the plane...
Old Jul 8, 2024, 1:56 pm

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Gold, IHG One Rewards Platinum, SNCF Grand Voyager le club, Hertz 5* Gold,
Excellent read, thanks!
Can’t help but think that a joint @japesUk and @SFO777 TR would be epic!
catmndu, ID90_J, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 8:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by MalFr
Excellent read, thanks!
Can’t help but think that a joint @japesUk and @SFO777 TR would be epic!
Have you ever read the Tiger who came to tea?
(It might end up in the Tiger who came for a pint, though...)
JapesUK likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Diamond, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Originally Posted by alex67500
Have you ever read the Tiger who came to tea?
(It might end up in the Tiger who came for a pint, though...)
I feel I ought to ask who is the tiger and who is Sophie however I suspect I already know the answer
Old Jul 9, 2024, 11:41 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I feel I ought to ask who is the tiger and who is Sophie however I suspect I already know the answer
You all put away tremendous amounts of food and drink just for the pleasure of this board, I guess it'd be a contest
"And all of Daddy's beer!"
JapesUK likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alex67500
"And all of Daddy's beer!"
OK, it’s a fair cop
Old Jul 11, 2024, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Bronze, QR Burgundy, A3 Blue, ALL Silver, Avis Preferred
Yes, your eyes do not deceive you, that is a small amount of salad on my plate. There is so much balsamic glaze on it that it’ll be desert
Lettuce tastes like wet sadness. I would probably add coconut oil so that it is easier to slide it into the bin. Nothing but cheap filler in salads. [/Rant]

‘Luckily’ my Hannover flight was also showing a long delay so I hustled over to the T5 transfer gates and, oh dear, here we go, computer said no.

The flight connections desk had one free agent and I approached her with fear in my heart. That fear was quickly found to be justified, I’d been offloaded from my LHR-HAJ flight

By this time flighty was reporting a forty minute delay to my Hannover flight…. Sweet reprieve. Or at least I thought until both computer and offshore team said no, no such delay, it was only ten minutes late. You know how this tale ends, flighty was right and the flight left forty minutes late! No consolation for me at the time stood at the desk, no way could I get back on todays flight.

This left me with two options, rebooking, or flight in vain. The original offer from BA was to be rebooked onto the same flight 24 hours later. This would mean that I would likely get to a hotel by midnight tomorrow and have to be back at the airport lunch time Sunday. Flat nope, not doing that. At this point the agent I was dealing with needed to go on break and up stepped agent 2.

I had identified a LH flight that would get me to Hannover with at least a bit of time tomorrow so I requested this be booked. Back to the offshore team and after much discussion the flights I had asked for were booked. Agent 2 printed out the receipt for me and all was well… well, not exactly… wrong flights! They’d managed to book a later pair of flights that didn’t get me in until late night!! All of this took an age, mostly with UK waiting for offshore to answer or respond. By now it was time for agent 2 to go off for a break and up stepped agent 3! Back to the offshore team and after another long wait we eventually had the right flights booked. From the time I arrived at the desk to the time I left it was 83 minutes.

Whilst we had been faffing around I had booked the Moxy for tonight. The Sofitel was full, and BA were offering vouchers for the Ibis Budget!

I have to say that all three agents I dealt with were fantastic, the delay was all with the others they kept waiting for.
Are you entitled to UK261 as a result of this?

Good morning from a wet and miserable London. Body clock did its usual thing and woke me ten minutes before my alarm and I’ve hustled out of the hotel in short order.

I had just come out of the hotel in time to see the H2D hoppa pull into the hotel bus stop and disappear again before I could get to it! Grrr!

On the bus it is.

I only had to wait a minute and the 111 arrived to whisk me to Heathrow central bus station. No sooner was I on board the bus than another H2D hoppa made an appearance!! It’s going to be one of those days!
I hate when that happens!!!

And I thought this was a nice touch on the fuselage to the right hand side of the door

I love this!

And 15:45 it was, almost exactly on the dot.

Nice hotel, well appointed, and absolutely deserted at the moment!

No complaints on the room, I booked the cheapest of the cheap without breakfast and have been upgraded to a suite plus free breakfast. Hilton Diamond courtesy of BA Gold Guest List
How can you check in to a Double Tree and not have a pic of the cookies? Sacrilege!

I love the Condor livery and the vibrant colours!! I guess we can't be friends lol.

Sounds like a nice weekender!
Old Jul 11, 2024, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Completely agree about the lettuce, I am a lifelong salad dodger and proud of it. Almost as proud as I am of my doctorate in bacon from the church of bacon.

Yes, compensation offered as £220 or £300 voucher, plus duty of care, plus 20,000 avios

I was so shocked that they didn’t have the tins of mints that I forgot the cookie!

I’m glad someone likes the Condor livery, does it make you smile?

Old Jul 11, 2024, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Bronze, QR Burgundy, A3 Blue, ALL Silver, Avis Preferred
Completely agree about the lettuce, I am a lifelong salad dodger and proud of it. Almost as proud as I am of my doctorate in bacon from the church of bacon.

Yes, compensation offered as £220 or £300 voucher, plus duty of care, plus 20,000 avios

I was so shocked that they didn’t have the tins of mints that I forgot the cookie!

I’m glad someone likes the Condor livery, does it make you smile?
I am a big believer that #BaconMakesEverythingBetter except for my cholesterol.

​​​​​​Nice that BA offered immediately, I got no such thing from IB 😖

No tins of mints either??? Sounds more Single Branch than Double Tree 🤣

Yes, the Condor livery brings a smile to my face, however this tends to dissipate whenever a camera or phone is nearby, so you'll just have to take my word for it, or wait for myself and Mrs E to come across it in person so we can have a selfie 😁
JapesUK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.