Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry for Minors, Children and Infants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry for Minors, Children and Infants

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2013 | 7:37 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
I enrolled my 2 year old in GE and at the interview they didn't fingerprint him. The reason given was that up until the child is 12-13 years old, their fingerprints can't be accurately read by the machines. They told me that upon entry, to swipe my son's passport and I would get a printout with an 'X' on it. I should take the sheet to the front of the line and give it to the next available agent who would process us through.

It's not a secondary inspection - just has to be handled by a live person though.

As an aside, I also enrolled my 13 year old and he was in fact fingerprinted at the interview.
Old May 26, 2013 | 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
You get a card for the child to get Global Entry access even if they aren't printed.
Well, at YUL they certainly did not know about this, nor did the CBP helpdesk whom I wrote to. Can you provide any further information?

Originally Posted by bevoinva
I enrolled my 2 year old in GE and at the interview they didn't fingerprint him. The reason given was that up until the child is 12-13 years old, their fingerprints can't be accurately read by the machines.
Again, very interesting, and leads me to believe we will have problems with the 8-year-old's poor print quality.
Old Jun 18, 2013 | 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
$100 for 5 years is a steal. Why not just enroll your kids and not worry about all this?

Originally Posted by jbrown2665
I am a member of Global Entry ( A GREAT program for frequent travelers) and in the past, have been allowed to go to the front of the line with my young twins and wife. My wife was just approved yesterday and we were advised that children must now join if they want to use the benefits of the program while traveling with their parents. The customs agent said that attempting to take children through that are not enrolled, could result in the loss of your card and cancellation of enrollment among other things. Probably worth the extra $100 per child just to be safe as there are no guarantees that you can skip to the front of the line when traveling with your family. By the way, the appointment bookings online can take two months from the time you receive your conditional approval, but we went to the Miami airport yesterday to standby for a walk in and they got us in and out in 45 minutes - not too bad!
Old Jun 19, 2013 | 12:36 am

I went ahead and got all 4 of my kids their Global Entry recently. Ages range from 3 months to 6 years.
Old Jun 19, 2013 | 8:36 pm
Original Member
20 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Did children without the fingerprints being recorded still get their GE cards (for land entry)?
Old Jun 19, 2013 | 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Did children without the fingerprints being recorded still get their GE cards (for land entry)?
They had their NEXUS cards already. I suppose we'll find out soon what happens, and I'll report back here.
Old Jun 20, 2013 | 7:20 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Fingerprinting doesn't affect eligibility. It affects whether you get the X every time.

My 8 yo (at time) was fingerprinted w/o issue and it's worked at least twice. So the problem is not universal.
Old Jun 20, 2013 | 9:08 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Yes - my 2 year old got his GE card in the mail a few days later.
Old Jun 30, 2013 | 11:36 am

OK, so we tried using GE twice with the kids....

1) The 8-year-old's prints scanned flawlessly both times, though the kiosk was unable to take his picture as he's obviously too short. No problem.

2) The 5-year-old's passport caused the kiosk to display the message that he was not registered for GE.

At YUL preclearance, the officer (whom you have to talk to in any case, and who does both immigration and customs) simply waved us through. At MIA, one officer made us fill in a customs form for the 5-year-old, and sent us to the diplomat line. The officer there looked over everything, requested the NEXUS card, and stated that he found it strange that the kiosk would refuse, as he thought all was in order.

He did confirm that getting an X on your printout does not mean automatic secondary, but merely that they have to see your passport to confirm your identity.

I suppose we'll be going back to a GE enrolment center to try to sort things out once and for all.

Overall, however, it was a good experience, and I'm glad things did work as they should.
Old Jun 30, 2013 | 8:14 pm

I'm surprised the ACLU or similar agency hasn't tried to stop people fingerprinting their minor children. Seems like their kind of issue.
Old Jul 1, 2013 | 7:37 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by twtrvl
I'm surprised the ACLU or similar agency hasn't tried to stop people fingerprinting their minor children. Seems like their kind of issue.
Huh? It's entirely voluntary . . . I don't think that's a fight any organization pursuing civil liberties is likely to want to take on.

At most the issue would be that CBP would destroy records of fingerprints of underage enrollees when they turn 18 and make a request, in case some child is upset with their parents for enrolling them.
Old Jul 31, 2013 | 7:17 am
10 Years on Site

Global Entry and Infants / Small Children

We recently were approved for NEXUS, and at the interview the CBP officer offered to add GE for us as well. She wasn't sure if it would do anything for us since her post in YUL doesn't receive a lot of info about GE, as they mostly process Canadians seeking access to the US and not vice-versa. However, when I logged into GOES, I do see a note at the bottom for my wife and I that we can use GE. For my daughter (age 1) it says she can use GE once she provides fingerprints.

My question is, since GE doesn't have a lower age limit but also doesn't fingerprint small children, how do we actually go about using GE when all 3 of us travel together?

Appreciate the help.
Old Jul 31, 2013 | 7:49 am

As long as your daughter is enrolled in GE, then you can still all use it. At my interview, it was explained that although they didn't take the fingerprints of my 2-yo son, we should just scan his passport at the kiosk and we would get the slip containing the "X" on it for him. They told us to take it to the agent and that we shouldn't have any problem going right through.
Old Jul 31, 2013 | 9:06 am
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by bevoinva
As long as your daughter is enrolled in GE, then you can still all use it. At my interview, it was explained that although they didn't take the fingerprints of my 2-yo son, we should just scan his passport at the kiosk and we would get the slip containing the "X" on it for him. They told us to take it to the agent and that we shouldn't have any problem going right through.
Gotcha. So when you log into GOES for your 2 year old, do you see that note at the bottom saying he needs fingerprints on file, or do you see something different? Here is what I get:

Global Entry Benefit: As a NEXUS member, you will be able to use the Global Entry kiosks located at the top 20 major U.S. international airports to enter the U.S. once you provide your 10-fingerprints to CBP. To use the Global Entry kiosks, you must use a valid machine readable U.S. passport. If you wish to use Global Entry, please contact any Trusted Traveler Enrollment Center to schedule an appointment to have your fingerprints captured. Enrollment center information can be found at http://www.NEXUS.gov/, http://www.SENTRI.gov/ or http://www.GlobalEntry.gov/. Do not use your NEXUS card in the kiosk, but you may wish to carry it with you. There is no additional cost to use Global Entry, and you may use it for the duration of your NEXUS membership. Additional information about Global Entry can be found at http://www.GlobalEntry.gov/. If you do not wish to use Global Entry kiosks, please disregard this message.

Thanks!
Old Aug 1, 2013 | 6:50 am

No - there isn't anything like that on there for me but I signed him up directly through GE and not NEXUS. I wonder if the language you see is just advertising language telling you that you can automatically sign up for GE if you go through their application process (i.e. fingerprinting etc...).

I would call an enrollment center and have them make sure the system recognizes your daughter's GE enrollment. Sounds like a flag might not have been flipped along the way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.