Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2024 | 8:50 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Agreed, with the devaluation it is no longer a great program. Sorry you had credited your hard earned miles into TK hope you get to burn them before the 3 yr expiration. I guess was narrowly thinking more in terms of Domestic US and Canada premium redemptions which are bruised but still remain decent.
In terms of how to book your ticket here is my personal experience:

Emailing: the ticket office emails for local offices are posted and blogs have said emailing " sometimes works." What you must understand that this is super variable. Each office even in the same country operates differently. Last time I tried this, only one out of five responded, and that was a reply which said not available and only 4 days after. Was useless. And most recently SFO office explicitly said, please call the call center - they don't book flights for you after a nice person did it just a few weeks before - it's highly depends on the mood of the person answering the email (if they even answer it) and you must trust that availability remains as you wait. How about calling the local numbers you ask? Yeah, they dont answer.

Calling: the TK agents in the call centers are super variable in terms of their ability to assist you. Most are bad, a select few of them are ok, very few are good. You must do your research and pick out your flights and feed them segment by segment vs origin - destination, the agents must minimally know what booking codes to look for etc. If you finally have something put together simple flights like domestic US in united are no problem. Any more complex like US-CAN on AC etc and you can hit trouble in tariff calculations and payment at the last step. If that happens just tell them to save it and give you the PNR. You then take the PNR and now you can email the TK city ticket offices and they will be more willing to reply and help you with the last step.

Originally Posted by SCS
I don't have personal experience with this, but according to what I've read on Frequent Miler, sending an email is better than calling. Might be worth searching for Frequent Miler's guide and following the steps.

I'm actually not sure it's still fair to say TK has "great mile rates" given the recent severe devaluation. I'm certainly regretting my choice to credit my *A flying in the past few years to TK M&S.
Old Jul 14, 2024 | 11:05 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA Exec
Originally Posted by SCS
I'm actually not sure it's still fair to say TK has "great mile rates" given the recent severe devaluation. I'm certainly regretting my choice to credit my *A flying in the past few years to TK M&S.
I didn't realize TK has more than doubled any single flight within EU1 with partners until I searched for a simple, one leg BRU-MXP and the system asked for 25k miles p.p. for Y instead of the old 10k. I thought they increased the miles for connecting flights itineraries, but this... calling it a severe devaluation is being gentle!
SCS likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2024 | 5:39 pm

Star Alliance Award

When I tried to book an award ticket for Star Alliance flights, after the flight selection page, clicking on the Go To Payment, the following error message always occurs,Dear passenger,

The ticketing approval for the fare class you selected in your travel plan could not be obtained from our contracted airline. We apologize for this inconvenience, which is unfortunately beyond our control.

You can change your flight selection and try again.

Does anyone know how can I go through this?
Old Aug 26, 2024 | 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: TK Elite
Call TK to book.
Old Sep 1, 2024 | 6:47 am

Star Alliance upgradable booking class

Uniteds website used to have Turkish Airlines listed as to what booking class is upgradeable using miles. It used to be S class but now I dont see what class on Uniteds Star Alliance website.

Is it still S? And thank you to those who reply - where is this info located.
Old Sep 25, 2024 | 10:11 pm

Programs: TK E+ *G, AA Gold, A7 *S
Am trying to book 2 *A award tickets for my parents online. I can see availability and get through to the final booking screen, but then receive a pop-up saying I can't book Star Alliance awards for non-members. Is that true? Different rules if I call the call centre?

I know I've booked *A awards for my parents before but I was always traveling with them. Does this matter?

Also to note: they both have TK M&S numbers that I've entered.

Last edited by ttapps; Sep 25, 2024 at 10:19 pm
Old Sep 26, 2024 | 12:05 pm

Programs: Miles & Smiles | Elite
Probems booking Star Alliance award tickets

When booking a Star Alliance award ticket , the website shows an error here with "please complete mandatory fields" - but there is absolutely no information about what these fields should contain. Anyone knwo what is up here?
Old Sep 26, 2024 | 2:33 pm

I had checked aeroplan for this flight was 12,500 miles. I call TK hotline and want to book this award ticket they need 35000 miles.
Old Sep 27, 2024 | 3:30 am
50 Countries Visited3M100 Nights

Programs: TK EP, AF Platinum for life, something in Oneworld not worth to mention...
Best bet for booking Star Alliance award tickets is via calling their call center. Dont waste your time with TK website
Old Sep 30, 2024 | 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Years on Site

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Jpfly19

I had checked aeroplan for this flight was 12,500 miles. I call TK hotline and want to book this award ticket they need 35000 miles.
It makes sense because it's not a domestic flight. If you can get it with Aeroplan go for it. You can't expect all *A has the same # of miles for award flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.