Search

Partner airline mileage earning structure

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2024, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway
Partner airline mileage earning structure

Hi there
does anyone know what base does TK use to calculate the partner airlines’ earning structure?

for eg I flown with SQ from SIN to HKG. According to TK if I were to fly with them on C I will earn 2151 miles under Z class, but I was credited with only 1992 miles.
I’ve tried using the airline miles flown calculator (ie hkg-sin is 1598miles, times 125%, which still doesn’t add up)

I’ve just flown with TG from HKG-BKK. If I apply the airmile flown formula plus 50% on top for flying C class it worked perfectly

I wanted to figure this out so that I can work my way towards gold. I’ve used the contact form on TK asking in specific how they calculate that but they said they found no error with the calculation and didn’t elaborate nor clarify, therefore I was wondering whether this community will know.

thank you!
Old Jun 30, 2024, 1:03 pm

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Has your ticket been a SQ ticket and SQ flight numbers?

Finding out the correct Fare letter on flights that run under a codeshare number is tricky.

For example you have a Lufthansa ticket from Frankfurt to Singapore and onwards to Kuala Lumpur. The ticket might show Z for the segment from FRA to SIn and Z for the segment from SIN to KUL - However these are LH fare codes. Whenever codeshare flights are involved there is a mapping of fare codes from the marketing carrier to the operating carrier - and mostly that is where the mileage differnces are coming form.
In the example above the LH Z-farecode (which is the second lowest discount business fare code) could be mapped to a SQ D-farecode (discount business farecode on SQ) - which means not 135% earning but only 125%

The TK mileage calculator spits out 1594 miles for the distance SIN-HKG (100% earning)

SQ high priced business class segments (Z,C,J) earn 135% mileage -> 2152 miles
SQ discount business class semgents (D, U) earn 125% mileage -> 1992 miles

So my guess is that your segment must have been a U or D fare segment. Then the TK calculations are correct.

Old Jul 1, 2024, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Singapore Airlines | Program Partners | Miles&Smiles (turkishairlines.com)

Check your booking class in the reservation/e-ticket receipt. Just because "C" is stated on your boarding pass it doesn't mean that your booking class is "C".
Old Jul 1, 2024, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
The TK mileage calculator spits out 1594 miles for the distance SIN-HKG (100% earning)

SQ high priced business class segments (Z,C,J) earn 135% mileage -> 2152 miles
SQ discount business class semgents (D, U) earn 125% mileage -> 1992 miles
hi yes thanks for the reply mine was under D class
are you calculating the mileage base based on airmile? Is this website trustworthy? https://www.airmilescalculator.com/distance/hkg-to-sin/

Old Jul 1, 2024, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Singapore Airlines | Program Partners | Miles&Smiles (turkishairlines.com)

Check your booking class in the reservation/e-ticket receipt. Just because "C" is stated on your boarding pass it doesn't mean that your booking class is "C".
Yeh it’s a little confusing.. I’m flying c aka business class but the business fare is D
Old Jul 1, 2024, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by manucanuck
hi yes thanks for the reply mine was under D class
are you calculating the mileage base based on airmile? Is this website trustworthy? https://www.airmilescalculator.com/distance/hkg-to-sin/
I use the mileage calculator on the TK app - it always spit out the mileage that is credited with TK.
There are many airmiles calculators - also for pure distance like https://gcmap.com or https://www.wheretocredit.com/calculator - but if you'd like to know how many miles you will get with Turkish Airlines it's best to use their mileage calculator. (for airlines other TK you have to take the miles value calculated for the 100% earning economy class fares and multiply it with the appropriate factor for the airline partner.
Old Jul 2, 2024, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yeh it’s a little confusing.. I’m flying c aka business class but the business fare is D
That is a discounted business class fare (C is unrestricted, fully flexible business class but very expensive).

So you received the correct amount of miles.
Old Jul 3, 2024, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
I use the mileage calculator on the TK app - it always spit out the mileage that is credited with TK.
There are many airmiles calculators - also for pure distance like https://gcmap.com or https://www.wheretocredit.com/calculator - but if you'd like to know how many miles you will get with Turkish Airlines it's best to use their mileage calculator. (for airlines other TK you have to take the miles value calculated for the 100% earning economy class fares and multiply it with the appropriate factor for the airline partner.
there must be something wrong with my mileage calculator cuz when I inputted SIN-HKG under classic for business it says 2151 based on KJZ classes?

Old Jul 3, 2024, 9:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
The milage calculator indicates the miles you will earn if you had flown TK (not other airlines) and receive the TK business class bonus, only the standard miles are used for calculation for other airlines.

If you look at the website, you can see the break down:

The standard miles are: 1,594
The Promotional miles (bonus if you flown TK): 557 (That would depend on your TK status - higher status gets more promotional miles).
Total: 2,151

As you did not fly TK you'll get only the standard miles times the multiplier for business class on SQ which would be 135% or 125% depends on the actual SQ class (I assume U or D based on what you got in the end).
Old Jul 3, 2024, 10:45 am

there must be something wrong with my mileage calculator cuz when I inputted SIN-HKG under classic for business it says 2151 based on KJZ classes?
As I explained above you have to use the TK mileage calculator for the flight segment, take the 100% earning economy class miles (no elite bonus) and multiply it with the airline specific booking class factor.

100% earning economy class fares are S,H,M,A.O,Q,E.

Factor for Singapore Business class U and D -> 1,25
Factor for Singapore Business class Z, C, J -> 1,35

Then you get the correct mileage amount you will earn with Miles&Smiles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.