Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > TWA FFB/Aviators
Reload this Page >

Different Seats on the TWA 757's?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 1999, 11:50 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Just got back tonight from a 9-day Florida stay with the family. We had a wonderful time even though the final part of our Gulf Coast stay was dampened by constant rain.

On the return flight tonight I was seated in coach with the children (wife took the FC seat) and when I pushed the seat back back, the seat bottom appeared to move forward ever so slightly.

Was that my imagination or is this some new type of seat? I kept moving the seat back and forward to try to figure out what I was gaining.

Plus, the FA kept mentioning "putting up the foot rests" on the intercom... where are those? FC? I was looking under my coach seat for these "rests" and I couldn't find them. (You'd think I never flew before if you saw me checking all of this stuff out.)

Although I fly AA, US, and TW almost one r/t a week, I haven't noticed these seats or rests before. I'm usually on an Airbus, Super 80 / MD80, and an occassional DC9 or Fokker.

I know why the foot/feet rests are cool, but where are they and what's up with the moving seats?
Old Sep 11, 1999, 11:17 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't fly TWA often but it seems that two out of three times or more I'm on an MD-80. Sometimes a very old one! I think they are repacing these with new MD-83's or something- but ever so slowly.

It's been awhile since I had a coach seat with a footrest though!
Old Sep 11, 1999, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Some of TWA's 757 are configured for International Service- JFK to Lisbon, Barcelona, Madrid, and therefore have a modified First Class cabin. It is a scaled-down model of Transworld One, and the seats have footrests and more legroom than the standard domestic FC. When the planes are not flying internationally, they are used on some longer domestic routes- LAX-JFK, for example, that are flown on 757s.

As for the coach seats, they are the newer "slimline" models that have a narrower backrest than traditional seats, but I'm not sure if the entire seat moves with recline.

When I was younger and travelled with my family a lot, the Ambassador's Club people would usually upgrade us all- even though he was the only one who was Gold at the time. You might try that on your next trip.
Old Sep 12, 1999, 9:50 am
Original Member
Original Poster

socalterp: The 757 did appear "new"... and the flight did continue on to Las Vegas... perhaps TWA places these on their more competitive routes when not used for transatlantic as you suggest.

doc: As mentioned, I fly TW quite a bit and they've renewed their fleet quite nicely over the last 16 months. Other than the occassional DC9, I haven't experienced a "tired" looking cabin. I've noticed some improvements in AA's cabins, too, which means cabin revamping seems to be an industry trend again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.