Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Heathrow like a Second World War airport”

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2024, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I‘m not sure where Tim lives or is the majority of his time, no doubt quite a large chunk is being based in the UAE. Well if anyone had spent the last 10-20 years in Dubai (not to mention Saudi or Qatar) and witnessed that type of unprecedented infrastructure growth and with insane amounts of funds, then returning to Heathrow every so often would look second rate! The U.K. nor most western countries can match or beat oil state money that can build at that scale and size. Dubai are embarking on a huge project to develop DXB airport even further that will make Heathrow look like Luton!
DXB T2 is absolutely nothing to write home about. I'm sure Tim doesn't spend much time there, but that's the benchmark for EK at LHR.
Old Jun 6, 2024, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
EK flies to T3 which is the oldest and most decrepit of LHR’s terminals.
T3 needs pulling down and redeveloping.

T5 and T2 are world class terminals.

Not been to T4 in many years but it wasn't that good last time i used it.

So Sir Tim has half a point.
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2024, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Slightly off topic but same theme. We flew into Barcelona last month and thought ..are we in a third world country but then quickly said to ourselves Asia and Mid East airports are in their own league.

Have flown through LHR dozens of times through all terminals more in T3 so I'm with everyone on this thread. The most difficult part of LHR is transfers especially after 10pm and figuring out the right hotel if you have an overnight.

Egate entry has helped and the dreaded security lines and review of liquid items is getting a little better and less onerous.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 8:16 am

Came looking for a thread about Heathrow T3. Its…bad, very bad.

We came in through a cramped security queue, into the duty free area. Went left to the lounges. Now the state of lounges is not the airport’s problem directly, but lets just say the gate lice have now moved to the lobby of Priority Pass lounges.

Walking down the hall to the Aspire lounge my wife asked “Are we in LaGuardia?” Its..shabby to say the least. Whatever

Aspire lounge restrooms are closed (...?) so use the public ones in the hall, across from the EK lounge. Its dark, smelly and the floor is nasty.

I had no interest in the food in the lounge, so I figured I’d just grab a cheeseburger or similar on the way to the gate, or some snacks, or something. I was wrong, so very wrong. Leave the lounge, back down the dark, low ceiling hallway. Down a moving walkway. Now down a narrow, sad hallway to my gate. We never passed a restaurant, much less a shop selling snacks or coffees or anything.

Now I am sure we could have backtracked towards where you exit duty free and found something. But the hallways to the gates? Hell no, that place needs to be burned to the ground.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 9:39 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Diamond, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti

…….down the dark, low ceiling hallway. Down a moving walkway. Now down a narrow, sad hallway to my gate. We never passed a restaurant, much less a shop selling snacks or coffees or anything.

Now I am sure we could have backtracked towards where you exit duty free and found something. But the hallways to the gates? Hell no, that place needs to be burned to the ground.
Please never use the T5 tunnels
Old Jul 10, 2024, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti

We came in through a cramped security queue, into the duty free area. Went left to the lounges. Now the state of lounges is not the airport’s problem directly, but lets just say the gate lice have now moved to the lobby of Priority Pass lounges.

Walking down the hall to the Aspire lounge my wife asked “Are we in LaGuardia?” Its..shabby to say the least. Whatever

Aspire lounge restrooms are closed (...?) so use the public ones in the hall, across from the EK lounge. Its dark, smelly and the floor is nasty.

I had no interest in the food in the lounge, so I figured I’d just grab a cheeseburger or similar on the way to the gate, or some snacks, or something. I was wrong, so very wrong. Leave the lounge, back down the dark, low ceiling hallway. Down a moving walkway. Now down a narrow, sad hallway to my gate. We never passed a restaurant, much less a shop selling snacks or coffees or anything.

As I said, T3 is not representative of Heathrow in total. T5 and T2 are world class.
returnoftheyeti likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2024, 4:47 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
T3 needs pulling down and redeveloping.

T5 and T2 are world class terminals.

Not been to T4 in many years but it wasn't that good last time i used it.

So Sir Tim has half a point.
The plan is to tear down terminal 3, leaving 2 (Heathrow East) and 5 (Heathrow West) as toasters. Though this was based on the 3rd runway, so don't know as that is in perpetual limbo whether the demolition of T3 is still in the cards.
Old Jul 11, 2024, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GregWTravels
The plan is to tear down terminal 3, leaving 2 (Heathrow East) and 5 (Heathrow West) as toasters. Though this was based on the 3rd runway, so don't know as that is in perpetual limbo whether the demolition of T3 is still in the cards.
Heathrow desperately needs a 3rd runway AND a 3rd redeveloped terminal.
Old Jul 12, 2024, 11:54 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum (until December), FB Explorer, BA Blue, M&M Pleb
If he thinks T3 at LHR is bad, he should perhaps consider not bothering to fly into MAN T1.
Old Jul 12, 2024, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Heathrow desperately needs a 3rd runway AND a 3rd redeveloped terminal.
And a loosening of curfews since you can't fly into lhr for almost a quarter of the click/day?
Old Jul 13, 2024, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldiswide
And a loosening of curfews since you can't fly into lhr for almost a quarter of the click/day?
Nah. People gotta sleep ssometime.

I love aeroplanes but I think even for me the whoosh of jet engines will get boring after 2am
DaveS likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2024, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
LHR has been privately owned since the mid 1980s

So it’s a private sector failure to invest.
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
In part - but any real investment requires government endorsement, planning permission and a whole raft of political stuff. That said I would agree successive owners of LHR haven't done the best job...
I think both lack of private investment and failure of the government to back the airport has been a cause of this situation.

If you look at the good Mid East and Asian airports, there's often very good chance the governments are the airport owners (either a major shareholder or completely)
Old Jul 17, 2024, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
I use T3 often, a few times T5. T3 is easy when traveling with no luggage. Up the escalator from the underground mole tunnels or whatever Heathrow calls them, walk in the front doors, up the escalator to fast track and then over to the AA club before my AA departure to the USA. The only thing I find very annoying is I have to wade through the people sitting down between exiting security and getting to the club.

T5 sucks. Getting from the galleries club (whatever that one is with the horse) over to my departing flight via 83 escalators and then a train that takes forever is painful.
worldiswide likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2024, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by enviroian
I use T3 often, a few times T5. T3 is easy when traveling with no luggage. Up the escalator from the underground mole tunnels or whatever Heathrow calls them, walk in the front doors, up the escalator to fast track and then over to the AA club before my AA departure to the USA. The only thing I find very annoying is I have to wade through the people sitting down between exiting security and getting to the club.

T5 sucks. Getting from the galleries club (whatever that one is with the horse) over to my departing flight via 83 escalators and then a train that takes forever is painful.
Wash your mouth out with soap and water! You'll open Pandora's box if you're not careful!
Old Jul 19, 2024, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by enviroian

As a regular LHR visitor I'm surprised you're not aware of the tunnels you can walk from 5A to get to 5B and 5C
Misco60 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.